[0.7 on RH 9] Won't start after Mouse Gestures install

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ktyler

[0.7 on RH 9] Won't start after Mouse Gestures install

Post by ktyler »

Hello,

I've had Firebird working fine for several months on my RedHat 9.0 machine. Yesterday I tried to install the Mouse Gestures extension from http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions/.

Since doing so (as root) I am now only able to get Firebird to start when I run it as root. Running it as myself doesn't seem to work.

After I try running the MozillaFirebird executable from the command line I then look for it with "ps -aux | grep -i firebird". I find two processes running. One is the run-mozilla.sh script with MozillaFirebird-bin as a parameter and the other is the actual MozillaFirebird-bin process running. However nothing ever opens up on Gnome. Any help would be appreciated.

At the risk of being long-winded, here's the cut & paste of the processes from "ps -aux":

1: /bin/sh /usr/bin/MozillaFirebird/run-mozilla.sh /usr/bin/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird-bin
2: /usr/bin/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird-bin

Any help would be appreciated. Thx!

ktyler
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

Code: Select all

su
password
cd /usr/bin/MozillaFirebird
chmod -R 755 *
These commands will reset the permissions on all the files and subfolders of MozillaFirebird so that anyone can use the program. The extension you installed created some files which could only be executed by the file owner, root.
Don't run a browser as root, it's not safe. I know you were just installing an extension, sorry to moan.
ktyler

Post by ktyler »

That worked perfectly. Thank you very much! =)

ktyler