uncovering a password

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ngk

uncovering a password

Post by ngk »

does anyone know of a way i can uncover a password from *********? for my school email i have the password saved and it's 9 letters long but i dont remember what it is, i forgot it over xmas break....i know there are apps to uncover passwords but none of them worked for me in firebird, anyone have any ideas what i can do ?
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Well, basically what you are asking us to do is to tell you how to bypass security in the browser.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Dunderklumpen wrote:Well, basically what you are asking us to do is to tell you how to bypass security in the browser.

Thank you, Mr. Obvious. That's exactly what he was asking to do. :P

ngk, if your email doesn't use SSL encryption for logins, one option for recovering a forgotten password is to use a packet sniffer. Just scan your outgoing packets for a POST request. Another is to use a JavaScript bookmarklet to change the login form from a POST request to a GET request, which will then show your password in the URL of the next page.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

And you are telling him, great!
mai9

Post by mai9 »

try this bookmarklet to uncover passwords:

javascript:(function(){var s,F,j,f,i; s = %22%22; F = document.forms; for(j=0; j<F.length; ++j) { f = F[j]; for (i=0; i<f.length; ++i) { if (f[i].type.toLowerCase() == %22password%22) s += f[i].value + %22\n%22; } } if (s) alert(%22Passwords in forms on this page:\n\n%22 + s); else alert(%22There are no passwords in forms on this page.%22);})();
ngk

Post by ngk »

i tried using that bookmarklet and it just says, "there are no passwords on this form" or something like that....the way i log in is i put my student number in and press logon, then a new window pops up and it has my number and my password already filled in via the saved password feature then i just hit enter and it logins....but that bookmarklet didn't do anything unless i'm not doing it right
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

You cant use that bookmarklet for recovering password from a http authentication prompt
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
ngk

Post by ngk »

so there's no way to figure it out ? :(
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

If its yours - click on that 'forgot password' link, or email the webmaster.

If its someone else's - better luck next time ;-)
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
mai9

Post by mai9 »

here's another utility (I never used)

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/nirsoft/ut ... apass.html
Netscapass v2.02

Post by Guest »

it is mine and i haven't heard from the admins there yet, i need it so i can log into a computer on tuesday for my programming class :)
ngk

Post by ngk »

and mai9....it's in firebird not in netscape...so that wouldn't work to well....i guess i'll just tell my teacher, "no, i'm not doing anything in here, EVER" :)
mai9

Post by mai9 »

ngk, I thought it worked anyway.
ngk

Post by ngk »

if you run it it looks for a netscape installation, which i dont have :)