My bookmark toolbar is gone?!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
vecko

My bookmark toolbar is gone?!

Post by vecko »

Yes, or rather no, the toolbar isen't gone but the content, links and folders are. I dont know what i have done wrong, the folder i lay all my bookmarks in is named: "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" When i go in to the "toolbar customize" the bookmark toolbar comes up with a bookmark icon.

I have some extensions, but i dont think thats the reason I'v had them a while - and this problem just come up the other day, it's really anoying cuz i use the bookmarks alot...

Please help!

Post by Guest »

this just happened to me too!

My version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7
frease

Post by frease »

Go to Manage Bookmarks and right-click on the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder and set it as the toolbar folder. If that does not work, you might need a new profile.
vecko

Post by vecko »

frease, how do I do that?

Post by Guest »

where are the profiles stored?
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

zealot

Post by zealot »

Many times, the recommendation is to create a new user profile. While this does work, it is analogous to formatting your hard drive and re-installing an application every time the application doesn't work as expected.

Often, the browser's bookmarks.html file is left intact within the user's profile directory. However, the structure of the contents may have gotten "scrambled" - whether done intentionally (physically re-arranging HTML to sort bookmarks alphabetically) or unintentionally (corrupt bookmark entry after browser crash).

Assuming you still have access to bookmarks.html try the following.

Exit your Mozilla based browser.

Edit your bookmarks.html file (in your profile directory) by hand:
1. Open bookmarks.html in a text editor
2. Search for the phrase "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder"
3. Find the beginning and end block of text that is the content of your Bookmarks Toolbar Folder
4. Cut that block of text
5. Paste that section of text immediately following "<H1>Bookmarks</H1>"
6. Save bookmarks.html

Restart your browser.
khanchette

Post by khanchette »

I am using windows XP. I just did a windows security update and after that I lost all of my book marks. My old IE imported books marks are there, but all of the other bookmarks and folders are gone. Not sure if it had anything to do with the XP upgrade, but the book marks seem to be history.
khanchette

Post by khanchette »

It seems that I have lost more then my bookmarks, my saved passwords, are gone also.

Post by Guest »

Zealot,

In my profile bookmarks.html file, I don't see any reference to that phrase. However, I do see it in the bookmarks.html file that is in the program directory (wherever the user installed firebird to). Is this what you meant, or is that phrase supposed to be referenced in the profile bookmarks.html, but isn't showing up because of a possible corruption or something? If this isn't what you meant, and you did indeed mean a cut/paste from the program bookmarks.html file to the profile bookmarks.html file, then what part of the 'chunk' did you mean to transfer? Just the line that includes that phrase?

<DT><H3 PERSONAL_TOOLBAR_FOLDER="true" ID="NC:PersonalToolbarFolder">Bookmarks Toolbar Folder</H3>

or the whole 'paragraph' , I guess you could call it...

<DL><p>
<DT><H3 PERSONAL_TOOLBAR_FOLDER="true" ID="NC:PersonalToolbarFolder">Bookmarks Toolbar Folder</H3>
<DD>Add bookmarks to this folder to see them displayed on the Bookmarks Toolbar
<DL><p>
<DT><A HREF="http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html">Mozilla Firebird Help</A>
<DD>David Tenser's Mozilla Firebird help site
<DT><A HREF="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=32">User Support Forum</A>
<DD>MozillaZine's new user support forums
<DT><A HREF="http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/">Plug-in FAQ</A>
<DD>Mozilla Firebird Plug-in Frequently Asked Questions
</DL><p>

Can you clarify your generic answer to bookmarks toolbar problems a bit more please (I've noticed you've used this a few times for various related problems)? Thank you sooo much!