How to get the Ctrl+Shift+L command to open address window?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
guest2

How to get the Ctrl+Shift+L command to open address window?

Post by guest2 »

On previous versions of Mozilla the Ctrl+Shift+L command would open a dialog box which you could type a URL into. This feature appears to be disable or hidden in Firebird. Is there a way to enable this feature?
ghola

Post by ghola »

Nope, the developers removed the dialog. However, Alt-D will direct you to the address bar (if visible).
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

...or CTRL+L, or F6. The "Open URL" dialog is redundant. Just type the address into the location bar.
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík
ghola

Post by ghola »

It was nor is redundant for users who do not want to sacrifice the space that a permanent address bar allocates in UI/desktop real estate. As it is, functional requirements include mandatory display of an address bar, which is in disparity with competing products.

You touched a nerve here. ;)
Pike

Post by Pike »

ghola wrote:It was nor is redundant for users who do not want to sacrifice the space that a permanent address bar allocates in UI/desktop real estate. As it is, functional requirements include mandatory display of an address bar, which is in disparity with competing products.

You touched a nerve here. ;)

If you remove the URL bar then Ctrl-L will open a dialog box that lets you enter the URL (FB devs always thinking two moves ahead).
ghola

Post by ghola »

You're right (I didn't know!), it lets you enter a URL... However, have you actually tried it?

[No matter the URL, it will only open a blank window for me. :D]
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

I'll rephrase: the "Open URL" dialog is redundant, as long as you have a location bar displayed somewhere in your UI. It isn't if you're browsing from a cellphone display :)

EDIT: You're unfortunately right. It just opens a blank window.
Pike

Post by Pike »

If you want to fix it, open MozillaFirebird\chrome\browser.jar\content\browser\openLocation.js and remove the orphaned "else {" and "}" from onChooseFile().
guest2

Post by guest2 »

Thank you for the helpful information. It seems as though many people have strong feelings about this topic one way or another.