Big gray space at bottom below status bar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sirj

Post by sirj »

I've spent more time searching today and still nothing on this sneaky little problem. Has anyone else had this issue with the Firefox 2 RC1 release?

Any other suggestions on a remedy?

-Jonathan
flanagan

Post by flanagan »

Do you have the problem in safe mode?
XHPrime

Same Problem

Post by XHPrime »

I am having the exact same problem and am using the same version as you. I tried every fix this thread mentions and I still have the bar...even when I go full screen.
sirj

Post by sirj »

I tried it in safemode and still nothing :). The big gray bar and red arrow live on. Any one else had any success?

-Jonathan
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do a clean install and delete both the program folder and the profile and cache folders:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox (adjust to your install location)
%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
Make a backup of things that you want to keep and delete everything in those folders (incl. profiles.ini and pluginreg.dat)
MagsMay

Post by MagsMay »

At least I am not alone here ... I too have a fat. grey status bar and frankly, it is driving me nuts ;X It appeared after I updated a bunch of extensions (only GOD knows which ones sigh) on Sunday evening (thats 10/1/06)...

Is there ANYBODY out there that has the answer here?

Sniff, whimper ...

MagsMay
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Is there any text in that XUL error window: that might indicate which extension is broken.
Otherwise: disable extensions (Tools > Extensions: right-click and disable) until you find which one is causing it.
You can do that one at a time or in groups (e.g. half of them) if you have many extensions.
Close and restart Fx after every change.
You can leave out Talkback and the DOM Inspector.
MagsMay

Post by MagsMay »

Thank you ... sometimes we need someone to point us in a direction lol ... will try that and get back to you ...

MagsMay
MagsMay

Post by MagsMay »

TADA!!! The culprit is/was BookmarkReviewer 1.0 and is now toast --- worked before the update so go figure lol

Wondering if anyone else has problems with it ...

Thanks again!!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You're welcome :)

Post by Guest »

I too have the grey bar, and the only extension I have is talkback 2.0. I followed the solution link and no avail, still the grey bar persists! whats up?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Sounds like you may have a corrupt profile see
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... rrupted.3F
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Nick2222

Gray Bar Fix

Post by Nick2222 »

I had the same problem and fixed it. All you have to do is get rid of the whole 'chrome' folder. Delete it and then reinstall Firefox.

Re: Gray Bar Fix

Post by Guest »

Nick2222 wrote:I had the same problem and fixed it. All you have to do is get rid of the whole 'chrome' folder. Delete it and then reinstall Firefox.

I can confirm that this works. I installed Firefox 2 RC2 over Firefox 1.0.7. The area below the status showed up. I didn't have any extensions or add-ons installed. I deleted the whole 'chrome' folder then I reinstalled Firefox 2 RC2.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

RC3 has bee released: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-rc.html

I suppose that you mean the chrome folder in the program installation folder?