Installing Firebird on Linux (Red Hat9)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wario

Installing Firebird on Linux (Red Hat9)

Post by wario »

I'm fairly new to linux and I wanted to install firebird .7 onto my redhat9 machine. I've downloaded the files, and it's extracted to the /home/wario directory, but I can't find the install script that people are referring to. Am I supposed to extract this to a different folder like /usr/lib/ or something? Is there an install procedure that I'm missing somewhere?

Also looking to download thunderbird, but wondering if I'll have the same issue with that.

Thanks for the help.
intatia

Post by intatia »

Run
/home/wario/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird .You can move the MozillaFirebird directory elsewhere, but if you're the sole user I reckon it's just fine there.
Your profile will be in /home/wario/.phoenix/default/random8chars.slt/ and willl be created when firebird is run for the first time.

Similar deal for thunderbird, but the profile dir will be /home/wario/.thunderbird/default/random8chars.stl/ :)

Note, these paths migth be slightly different for you, but they shoudl give you a good idea what to expect.
Not sure if you know, so I'll just say it just to be safe, the . makes it a hidden file/folder.

Browse and search the forums a little and read other peoples posts for infomation on java, flash plugins etc, there are some very informative helpful threads.
ojka

What If I have a multiuser computer?

Post by ojka »

Yes I guess that's the easiest and fastest way for a monouser machine. But I would like to know how to do it for a network with many users, or at least for one computer with several users. Anyone could help me?

Thanks!
'](*,)
OjkA
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

Need some help here too...
intatia

Post by intatia »

Sorry, I use my machine and I havn't had any experiences with multiuser environments.
Although I'd guess the most basic way would be to put the main directory in /usr/local/bin which should be in their path so they can run it from the command line. The profile for them still gets stored in ~/.phoenix/blahblah.
I think this site might help a bit too http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/phoenix/kiosk.htm .
Wish I could help more.
ojka

Post by ojka »

Thaks a lot, anyway. I had no time to read it right now but it seems to be a quite complete guide to do what I want.
Have fun ;o)
RustyKen

Post by RustyKen »

The way I have done it in the Mandarke 9.2 and SuSE os using the KDE graphical interface, with the following:

Using "File Manager - SuperUser" copy your down load file to the 'opt' folder

Open a shell window
at command line type: SU <enter>
then type: <SU password> <enter>

Now type: CD /opt <enter>

If you now enter: ls
you should see your file

Now type: tar -xzvf <file name> <enter>
This uncompresses file and creates a <Firebird folder>

You need to run the MozillaFirebird script as root. You can do this here in the shell window or using the SU FileManager. Using file manager as SU, navigate to the /opt/MozillaFirebird folder. Execute the MozillaFirebird script. After it runs it should open Firebird and connect you to the webpage. Now close Firebird.

Both filemanager and shell window are no longer needed, so you can exit them if you want.

On your desktop, right click your mouse, choose 'create new>link to application'

Select the execute tab
use browse button and select /opt/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird

Select the General tab
Enter MozillaFirebird in window
Click on icon, select other and browze to /opt/MozillaFirebird/icon
Select the icon, then <okay>, <okay>

You should now have an icon on your desktop.
Cheers, RustyKen
ojkaloggedout

Post by ojkaloggedout »

Thanks a lot RustyKen. Tht sound pretty well. Just a question: is necesary to include /opt/MozillaFirebird folder in the execution path or the icon it creates your method is just a link to Firebird executable?