How to increase the number of items in Back/Forward dropdown

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Jheriko

How to increase the number of items in Back/Forward dropdown

Post by Jheriko »

The Back and Forward buttons' dropdown menus display by default 15 items.

How can we increase this number?
Firefox user since Firebird 0.7
Jheriko

Post by Jheriko »

bump
Jheriko

Post by Jheriko »

bump again
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

You might investigate this pref. In the Address/URL bar enter: about:config

Look for:
browser.sessionhistory.max_entries
Integer
The maximum number of pages in the browser's session history, i.e. the maximum number of URLs you can traverse purely through the Back/Forward buttons. Default value is 50.

Its not clear to me if '50' is the total across all tabs that are open, or if this even applies. Hurts nothing to change the value higher and see if that is what you need. You can reset the value to 'default' by right-click on the pref and choosing 'reset'.

To modify the value: right-click -> Modify and enter new value. (note: you 'may' have to close/restart browser for the change to take affect)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Just to be sure you're not missing something...

You DO know that you can access the URLs that get bumped off the Back and Forward histories via Go | History (or just Ctrl+H), right?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\browser.jar\content\browser\browser.js

const MAX_HISTORY_MENU_ITEMS = 15;
Vano

Re:

Post by Vano »

dickvl wrote:C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\browser.jar\content\browser\browser.js

That is a beginning, thanks.
Is this the only place we can change it? I mean changing it there will be lost after browser update, correct?
patrickjdempsey

Re: How to increase the number of items in Back/Forward dropdown

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Even though it only displays 15, if you go down to the 15th, it will display 14 more. "browser.sessionhistory.max_entries" is probably the maximum number of entries it stores, but it only displays 15 at a time. That does not mean that there are only 15 entries.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Vano

Post by Vano »

yes, correct, however I have room on screen for 100 items, and would like to have as many as possible...

[EDIT]
So far I found a solution:
1) install userChromeJS extension
2) in profiles/<firefox profile name>/chrome/userChrome.js (create one if you don't have it) add this line:

Code: Select all

eval("FillHistoryMenu = " + FillHistoryMenu.toString().replace(/MAX_HISTORY_MENU_ITEMS/g, "25"));

reference
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Vano,

You posted to a really old thread (2006). Normally, we lock these threads when someone replies, but since the discussion is ongoing I am going to leave it unlocked. Next time please start a new thread.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
Vano

Post by Vano »

Dartman wrote:Vano,

You posted to a really old thread (2006). Normally, we lock these threads when someone replies, but since the discussion is ongoing I am going to leave it unlocked. Next time please start a new thread.

Sorry, for offtopic, but, I've seen this type of "rules" on a few forums. And that is one of the reasons it's pretty much impossible to find anything on such forums. You find lot's of topics with the same headlines, you pick one, read it through just to realize that it's a dead end and you need search again. Unless of course there are 100 replies in the topic then yes, that would make sense - start a new topic with a link to it in the old topic.
Another reason why continue an old topic is more practical, is because one don't have to repeat the things already discussed...oh, and when you lock such topics, then a new topic gets born with possibly a link to the old topic and the one who is trying to help will have to go and read the old topic, its more hustle and less motivative for the helper then simple scroll up...

I'm not trying tell you what to do, just stating my opinion ;)

Next time I sure won't do my home work - search, before I start a new topic :P
j/k

P.S.
What exactly is the difference between an very old post and new post if they are on the same topic? - now that doesn't make sense to me.
Franadora

Post by Franadora »

version of the browser. Lots of changes are made with each major version change. So your issue may look like the same problem but is not.
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows10, 7 Starter, Home Premium; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)
Vano

Post by Vano »

Franadora wrote:version of the browser. Lots of changes are made with each major version change. So your issue may look like the same problem but is not.

Ok, that's make sense, somewhat, but generally if a problem was not resolved, and later, the topic was bumped up, it would mean the time passed and/or new software version didn't help either, why locking the topic after the attention to the problem was brought back? See my delema understanding this?
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Fairly simple really.
1) The cause of the problem is likely to be very different now-a-days
2) The answers are not necessary valid anymore
3) A user with the same problem sees this but does not realize how old it is and attempts invalid fixes
4) Depending how a user has his/her account set-up they might be getting emails about this topic-- something that isn't likely to concern them anymore.
5) If you describe your problem fully there might be an easier answer now without having to rehash the old topic.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Newbie12

Re: How to increase the number of items in Back/Forward drop

Post by Newbie12 »

makaiguy wrote:Just to be sure you're not missing something...

You DO know that you can access the URLs that get bumped off the Back and Forward histories via Go | History (or just Ctrl+H), right?
Yes but it would be easier and more convenient if you could just hover your mouse over the tab you're on and search it through there knowing you know you have visited the page on the same tab......
dickvl wrote:C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\browser.jar\content\browser\browser.js

That directory does not exist for 60.4 ESR
Vano wrote:yes, correct, however I have room on screen for 100 items, and would like to have as many as possible...

[EDIT]
So far I found a solution:
1) install userChromeJS extension
2) in profiles/<firefox profile name>/chrome/userChrome.js (create one if you don't have it) add this line:

Code: Select all

eval("FillHistoryMenu = " + FillHistoryMenu.toString().replace(/MAX_HISTORY_MENU_ITEMS/g, "25"));
reference
That extension does not work on Firefox 60.4 ESR....
LoudNoise wrote:Fairly simple really.
1) The cause of the problem is likely to be very different now-a-days
2) The answers are not necessary valid anymore
3) A user with the same problem sees this but does not realize how old it is and attempts invalid fixes
4) Depending how a user has his/her account set-up they might be getting emails about this topic-- something that isn't likely to concern them anymore.
5) If you describe your problem fully there might be an easier answer now without having to rehash the old topic.
4 - they can just ignore the emails or simply unsub....

But yeah of all the forums I've asked questions in, they always reiterate "Please search BEFORE posting a new topic if it's already been answered" and then there are places like here(Maybe?) and MineCraft forums where they will delete your comments because you necro'd a topic......and warn or even ban you for it......but ok next time I will just post a new topic without doing any effort for searching - I guess being spoonfed is easier, mmm?. :mrgreen:

Anyways, I cam here after a search for Back/Forward History Tweaks 1.6.3 replacement addon since that no longer works on Firefox Quantum and was wonderng if there was a replacement, apparently not.....so I guess I'll have to downgrade back to 52.9 ESR to use that extension.... :roll: