back and forward button

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
frankiemay

back and forward button

Post by frankiemay »

Being technically disabled, but able to surf the web without too much trouble, I am having trouble with one thing which I am sure everyone but me out there knows about. I recently installed Firefox (which I love) but when I am in a site, for example purchasing stuff, and want to go back to the previous page, I am not able to. I then have to start all over to look at the previous (next) page. I use AOL for mail and have stopped using AOL for anything else because I can't stand it - too slow; always kicking me off, etc. How on earth do I get my back button back? Please, some kind soul out there help an old lady.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Firefox Support
EvenTed

Post by EvenTed »

Does it work in Firefox safe mode?
If it does, disable extensions until the problem is fixed.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

If it doesn't, I would suggest a reinstall and a clean profile, with your bookmarks and maybe passwords and cookies copied over. However, doing that can be really difficult for non-techies and I haven't found a page that gives clear instructions.

You could also try the standard diagnostic, but again that is a list of many steps that can be hard for beginners to follow.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you mean that you do not have a Back button on the (navigation) toolbar?
If that is true: do you see that button in View > Toolbars > Customize?
You can try the "Restore Default Set" to get it back.
See: corrupt localstore.rdf (KB)

There are also keyboard shortcuts: Alt+Left to go Back and Alt+Right to go forward.
See:
Help > Help Contents > Keyboard Shortcuts
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard
AlanJenkins2

Post by AlanJenkins2 »

I encountered this problem when upgrading to Firefox 2.It went away when I went back to Firefox 1.5.Firefox 1.5 will only be maintained for a few more months,but I'm hoping that by the time I'm forced to switch back,the people at Mozilla will have fixed the bug.If not,I might have to stop using Firefox.I hope I don't,since password manager is useful.
Daniel Victor
Last edited by AlanJenkins2 on February 24th, 2007, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
d.p.victor
bgfunk76

Post by bgfunk76 »

Try the standard diagnostic that EvenTed suggested. Or not.
`(•.°)~
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If the back button is disabled then it is possible that the page was rewritten/replaced by a new version (frame) or that you opened a new tab/window.
AlanJenkins2

Post by AlanJenkins2 »

It happened too often for that to be the reason.It isn't hapening in 1.5
d.p.victor
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The new tab/window behavior is changed in Fx 2.0.
You can read this post to check the settings:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 95#2737495
BtV

Post by BtV »

I've the same problem - since Firefox 3 Beta 1 no page history can be accessed through the back/forward buttons or the context menu entries. All of them stay disabled no matter how much I navigate through a webpage. The browser history can be accessed quite normal, but back/forward won't work at all.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you using the default theme?

You can start Firefox in -safe-mode to check if your problem is caused by an extension or theme (try the default theme).
If starting in Safe-mode works then disable your extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions or use the option in the Safe-mode window) and re-enable them one by one until you find which one is causing it.
Close and restart Firefox after each change.
.bat

Post by .bat »

expirienced the same problem here and this is what I found out so far:

the back and forward buttons are disabled TILL you open a new tab. Once you set the focus on the new tab, and go back to the first one there will all of a sudden be an enabled back / forward button. At least this works for me.

However its god damn annoying, would be nice if anyone has a solution to this.
mrand

Post by mrand »

.bat wrote:expirienced the same problem here and this is what I found out so far:

the back and forward buttons are disabled TILL you open a new tab. Once you set the focus on the new tab, and go back to the first one there will all of a sudden be an enabled back / forward button. At least this works for me.

However its god damn annoying, would be nice if anyone has a solution to this.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9b2) Gecko/2007121120 Firefox/3.0b2

Running FF3b2, I'm seeing the same problem even in safe mode. In fact, not only do forward and backward and stop buttons not work, but the throbber on the tab runs endlessly. I have to remove my old profile in order for everything to work as expected. Never installed any different themes, so that can't be it. Opening a new tab doesn't fix it either.

I couldn't find a bug report - anyone know of one?

Marc
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

You really shouldn't be testing an Early Beta version on your old profile.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mrand

Post by mrand »

malliz wrote:You really shouldn't be testing an Early Beta version on your old profile.

I don't believe that is correct at all, and doing so will result in more problems being found in later beta's (and therefore risk not being fixed at all).

My understanding is that beta 2 (not to mention beta 1) was feature complete and that the only requirement was that I back up my profile in case of corruption. The instructions do not require a new profile.

Marc