.tmp files by the hundreds in WINDWS\TEMP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
spweber

.tmp files by the hundreds in WINDWS\TEMP

Post by spweber »

With an empty WINDOWS\TEMP folder, as soon as I start up FF 2.0, I get these zero-byte .tmp files that after surfing for a couple days can number into the thousands.

I'm running single VAIO laptop with Windows XP-Home......not using as a server,

The single folder name looks like this: tmp00003b69, and the individual files look like this:

dec36.tmp
dec37.tmp
dec38.tmp
dec39.tmp
dec3A.tmp
dec3B.tmp

etc...

I have disabled my BitDefender, disabled my FF addons, unchecked pop-ups, image load, java script....everything I could think of...and I STILL get these...and with each webpage I go to....another 3 or 4 of these .TMP files are created.

This is driving me crazy......haven't been able to solve it....anyone have any ideas?

Sincerely,
Stan
rtmjr50

Re: .tmp files by the hundreds in WINDWS\TEMP

Post by rtmjr50 »

spweber wrote:With an empty WINDOWS\TEMP folder, as soon as I start up FF 2.0, I get these zero-byte .tmp files that after surfing for a couple days can number into the thousands.
The single folder name looks like this: tmp00003b69, and the individual files look like this:
dec36.tmp
dec37.tmp
dec38.tmp
dec39.tmp
dec3A.tmp
dec3B.tmp
etc...
I have disabled my BitDefender, disabled my FF addons, unchecked pop-ups, image load, java script....everything I could think of...and I STILL get these...and with each webpage I go to....another 3 or 4 of these .TMP files are created.
This is driving me crazy......haven't been able to solve it....anyone have any ideas?
Sincerely,
Stan

I don't have this problem, using Firefox 2.0.0.1. My money is on BitDefender or something that your Sony is running. By the way, disable, does not stop BitDefender from doing its thing.

What happens if you use IE?

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.

Re: .tmp files by the hundreds in WINDWS\TEMP

Post by Guest »

rtmjr50 wrote:
spweber wrote:With an empty WINDOWS\TEMP folder, as soon as I start up FF 2.0, I get these zero-byte .tmp files that after surfing for a couple days can number into the thousands.
dec36.tmp
dec37.tmp
dec38.tmp
dec39.tmp
dec3A.tmp
dec3B.tmp
etc...
Sincerely,
Stan

I don't have this problem, using Firefox 2.0.0.1. My money is on BitDefender or something that your Sony is running. By the way, disable, does not stop BitDefender from doing its thing.

What happens if you use IE?

later, Richard

Thanks Richard,

Same thing happens with IE. On my wifes computer, a Dell, I've noticed it as well.......I am going to try to disable Bit Defender and see if that is the problem. Appreciate your reply.

Sincerely,
Stan
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Maybe filemon shows which application is creating those files.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... lemon.mspx

You can check this as a test: Standard_diagnostic:_Other_Solutions
(rename firefox.exe -> firefox1.exe)

Post by Guest »

dickvl wrote:Maybe filemon shows which application is creating those files.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... lemon.mspx

You can check this as a test: Standard_diagnostic:_Other_Solutions
(rename firefox.exe -> firefox1.exe)

Dick,

A thousand "thank you's" for referring me to FILEMON!!!!

That is an amazing program, and I was able to see EXACTLY what/who was writing those temp files into the WINDOWS/TEMP folder.

It was a pair of services VSSERV.EXE and BDSS.EXE...both of which are Bit Defender files......so, I sent a screen shot to Bit Defender Support, who is already working with me on this, to maybe help solve it.

I LOVE BIT DEFENDER 10, and this should help fix this annoying problem.....

Sincerely,
Stan
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You're quite welcome :)