Is there a way to keep Firefox History from being deleted?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I was wondering: is it possible to set the contents of that window to readonly (maybe with userChrome.js extension)?
Old madperson

Post by Old madperson »

wouldn't it be easier to backup the history.dat file in your profile folder on a regular basis (e.g. all 15 mins.)? there are several programs, which can do that & run silently in the background... then you don't need to change the firefox-interface (wouldn't that be very obvious?!) and it wouldn't mind if your kids delete the history - just use a backed-up file before they've done it and restore it back to the profile folder
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

That wouldn't work: the History is only saved to disk if you make manual changes (delete items) or close Fx.
If you would use Clear Private Data then nothing is saved to disk.
Old madperson

Post by Old madperson »

thanks - i didn't know this (thought the browsing history would be applied instantly to this file)
Psychodiver

Post by Psychodiver »

I dont think they even knew about going into options to delete anything, so I added the lines of code to remove the Clear Private Data from the Privacy tab. The entire lower section is gone, its sweet! The only way to view the history other than looking at the history in the file menu is to do Ctrl+H, but they dont know that! ; )

I agree with madperson about removing things from FF would be slightly obvious. Thats why I hoped for a way to just stop the ability to manually delete any of the history items.
Likm

Re: Is there a way to keep Firefox History from being delete

Post by Likm »

So Pyscho did you get what you were looking for?
I know I am late to this thread but unluckily for your kids there wasn't a private browsing mode in Firefox back then although one can easily turn off history via options.
LIMPET235

Re: Is there a way to keep Firefox History from being delete

Post by LIMPET235 »

Likm,
I should think that after 5 + years, that the OP or ? would not be monitoring this thread or be interested anymore.

Locking due to very old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)