"java console not supported" in 2.0.0.x

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

crowtrapper

java 6u1 not working anymore with new firefox.

Post by crowtrapper »

Don't really care whether Firefox or Sun caused this problem - but it's mine now. I'm not a programmer or even a computer buff but all I know is I downloaded the Firefox update - yes, it warned me Java would not be enabled - now most of the websites I use (internet banking, share trading etc) do not work atall. Some sites I cannot even log on to. I never thought I'd say "thank the Lord for Internet Explorer" but that's what I am saying now. How do I go back to the earlier version of Firefox?
steviex

Post by steviex »

Clear your Browser Cache and the Cookies relating to the Sites you are trying to get on to.

The cookies may not be valid any more since you changed Browser version.

Also read this... http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=523703
Do you have JavaScript enabled. Also remember Javascript is not Java.

Are you having problems starting Java applets?

Read the post above and on the previous page to fix the Java console problem.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Paul.

Post by Paul. »

I'm not sure whether its the max version or not but the scripts do not work properly giving errors... pages load slowly after update to latest version... 2.0.0.4 is incompatible with java script console 1.6.0.1 latest... I can't even open gmail... deleting hidden extension did nothing. Something weird... Any ideas?
steviex

Post by steviex »

Read this http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites

Then work your way through this if that has not solved it http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox

By the way Java is not the same as Javascript.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
jeronimo

Post by jeronimo »

The first thing I did when I got the error, is open the extensions list and obviously it wasn't there. I don't think an external program should be allowed to install an extension in Firefox and then hide it.

As I originally installed java because I needed it in OpenOffice, what java has done comes dangerously close to spy-ware as far as I'm concerned (in the sense of installing something extra).

No need to remind me that I willingly clicked the "I agree" button :D

Considering it was java, I probably clicked ok / agree like 20 times to install it and get rid of the firewall warnings ....
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

It's not an extension it's a plugin.

Type
about:plugins
In your address bar and hit enter
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
jeronimo

Post by jeronimo »

It seems to me that java is a plugin that apparently comes with an extension to add a menu item in fx. It's the extension that's hidden and incompatible with the new version. I don't think plugins normally depend on browser versions anyway (or change the user interface), just the operating system.
Lost User 23429

Post by Lost User 23429 »

My question is why doesn't the the JRE installation inform the user about the extension being installed for Firefox. If they are messing with any other software, they should atleast inform the user and give a choice.

I might have missed the warning if they do tell.
anderj

Post by anderj »

I just updated to 2.0.0.4 and had the same message, I cannot understand what you above posts are directing. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to find out if Java is working or not?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Try this site
http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

Or you can go to the Sun Java web site

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

DogMatix wrote:My question is why doesn't the the JRE installation inform the user about the extension being installed for Firefox. If they are messing with any other software, they should atleast inform the user and give a choice.

It is not an extension. It is a plugin. And you choose to install java. Do you read ULA's?
"Terry Pratchett"
Phil Bridger

Post by Phil Bridger »

Malliz, there is both a plugin and an extension. Read jeronimo's reply to your previous post:

jeronimo wrote:It seems to me that java is a plugin that apparently comes with an extension to add a menu item in fx. It's the extension that's hidden and incompatible with the new version. I don't think plugins normally depend on browser versions anyway (or change the user interface), just the operating system.

You are adding to people's confusion by repeating that this is not about an extension; it is. The JRE plugin installs and works fine in 2.0.0.4 and is all that is needed by most people. The problem is that the hidden extension, which is installed by stealth, doesn't have correct version information.
Last edited by Phil Bridger on June 2nd, 2007, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

malliz wrote:
DogMatix wrote:My question is why doesn't the the JRE installation inform the user about the extension being installed for Firefox. If they are messing with any other software, they should atleast inform the user and give a choice.

It is not an extension. It is a plugin. And you choose to install java. Do you read ULA's?

Seems it's a plugin AND an extension. And that extension is hidden. So the question may be allowed.
Vickytom

Post by Vickytom »

I have just downloaded version 2.0.0.4 and now it just doesn't work. The address page remains blank and when I click on any of my links, they just say 'done' in the bottom left corner anad the page remains blank.

I am not sufficiently adept at rectifying the problem. At the time of update, I was informed of a java console disable, but other than that, I have no more information. I really need it to work. Some of the links are invaluable for my work. I have removed registry entries and the program, reinstalled etc; all to no avail.

Help, please, anyone?