No wmp plug in in FF on Vista machine

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Alice

Post by Alice »

richard mitnick wrote:Alice-

You wrote, ".WMA files are specifically "Windows Media Audio" files and I wouldn't think of associating them with anything but Windows Media Player,"

I don't know why you would feel that way. Winamp and Real will both play WMP file types just fine.
I was referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Audio which says,
Windows Media Audio (WMA) is a proprietary compressed audio file format developed by Microsoft.
I tend to keep things "simple" by associating Windows Media such as ASF WMA and WMV with Windows Media Player. Same with Real Media -> Real Player. I already included this link in my earlier post, where it was reported that associating Real Player with Windows Media Video (wmv) files can result in errors if you have the WMP plugin, since the WMP plugin is set up to handle those files by passing them off to the default player and errors can result if the default isn't WMP.

I just tested associating WMA with WinAmp, and although clicking a .wma link does open WinAmp, the file will not play unless I first change my Firefox preferences and change the action from "use the plugin" to "open with the default application". That wouldn't be an issue for you since you don't have the WMP plugin but I see no reason to go through that, in my case since I'm perfectly satisfied letting WMP handle both WMA and WMV files.

I guess it's time for me to stop watching this thread since all the issues in your original post are resolved and it's now gone off-topic into discussions about how to associate file types with media players, which players should be used for which files, etc.
Old richard mitnick

Post by Old richard mitnick »

One last thing-

In my use of any of the players, I do not involve any browser, so FF is not an issue.

::RSM
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Skwurl,

That installer, as you said, contains only 2 of the three files. It also contains older versions of those plugins, that are missing a number of security fixes.

No problem though, Technet, Microsoft's Open-Source Division (now that's an oxymoron!) have built a new WMP plugin for Firefox from scratch, for XP and Vista. See the discussion here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=540160
It starts a short way down.

It is known to work in XP and Vista for WMP's 10 and 11 so far.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0