I can't get rid of PC Tools free Spyware Doctor. HELP!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ifeelused

I can't get rid of PC Tools free Spyware Doctor. HELP!

Post by Ifeelused »

I can't get rid of PC Tools free Spyware Doctor. When I try to remove it it shuts my pc down..HELP!?

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to networking. I tried to delete and remove Spy Doctor all attempts end in shutting down all applications - then a blue error screen appears with a counter. At a 100 second count down my computer reboots. I also can't shut off my computer it's been running continuously since I downloaded the Spy Doctor beast!
1) I tried system restore to date my computer back a few weeks, but when I clicked to confirm the restore date my computer shuts down and that blue error page appears. After reboot I get a message that my restore point wasn't saved due to improper shut down.
2) I tried Add/Remove in Control Panel( blue page appears)
3) I tied deleting from the "C" drive(blue page appears)
4) I've pressed F8 but I don't know where to find SAFE MODE. I was hoping to shut it down there.
5)I downloaded SPYBOT which saw my FireFox browser as threat not the SPY DOCTOR!
6) I tried to remove from Spybot's Add/Remove. It didn't shut down and didn't work either.
Does any one know of a specific software that specifically elimnates PC Tools Spyware SpyDoctor?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Install and run these three programs. The AVG Anti-Spyware program is the best of the three, so run it first.
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy
AVG Anti-Spyware Free

If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums for specialized malware removal help:
http://castlecops.com/
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forum.aumha.org/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
HairTrigger

Post by HairTrigger »

Also, you can install the SiteAdvisor extension for Firefox to keep from downloading this sort of junk again. :wink:

Edit: Why is c*** considered a bad word around here? I've used it freely in the past and have never gotten in trouble for it.
Last edited by HairTrigger on April 15th, 2007, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

^ Bumped to get in my list, so I can see if you get busted for the C word like I did a while back!
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Yup, shouldn't really use it. HairTrigger, please edit your post to remove it. This is a family forum. Thanks.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Also the Site Advisor extension has been causing problems with 2.0.0.3 ... If you get an error 'onLookupFailed 55 1' then remove the Extension....

McAfee needs to fix the Extension to work properly in 2.0.0.3
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Old Keith Warner

Post by Old Keith Warner »

After using Spyware Doctor version 4 for over a year, I can assure you it is a legitimate program. With the release of v5, one month age today, it is a different story. In the last month I've changed builds more often than I change my socks. I have not, however, had any trouble un-installing SD before installing the latest "fix".

I tried going through old posts on Spyware Doctor support forum, looking to find if there is an un-installer you can download, like you can for Norton. Unfortunately, their board does not have a search box, so I had little success.

Same results after an hour of searching Google. Apart from using Add/Remove Programs, one recommendation I found was to use the Windows Installer Cleanup utility.

Since I by no means consider myself expert enough to recommend it's use, perhaps an old-timer would like to jump in about now.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSICLEAN.htm

There is the link. But if you decide to use it, be very careful. You can wipe out a whole lotta stuff with one click!

KW
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

The OP mentioned both Spyware Doctor and Spy Doctor. There is malware by the second name. If I remember right, it's the Smitfraud.
Old Keith Warner

I see. I thought the other was just a typo. If it' s Smitfraud, Heaven help us!

KW
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

4) I've pressed F8 but I don't know where to find SAFE MODE. I was hoping to shut it down there.

Just for future reference, to get to safe mode you need to press F8 while booting and then choose it from a list.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20061201 Firefox/2.0.0.6 (Ubuntu-feisty)
When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'.
-- Linus Torvalds
Ifeelused

I got rid of Spyware Spy Doctor no SmitFruad!

Post by Ifeelused »

Hello and thank you all.

I finally did the smart thing and simply called PC Tools customer service.

They advised me to shut down my Symantec Anti Virus and then uninstall Spyware Doctor. It worked great! Conflict between the two Anti Virus software caused the problem.

Please forgive me for causing so much drama.
Old Keith Warner

You actually got PC Tools on the phone???

KW