Vista, Firefox 2.0.0.3, and WMP 11

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Alice

Post by Alice »

Littlemutt,

I don't have the old WMP plugin .dlls in my GP plugins folder. They're only in my C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player folder, where all browsers find them unless I've disabled the plugin scan (by modifying the preference plugin.scan.WindowsMediaPlayer to 12.0 in about:config for that browser/profile) ..... But since you asked, I tried to remove the np*.dll files from the Windows Media Player folder (by renaming them) but Windows immediately replaces them... in the case of npdsplay.dll, with an older copy! I vaguely remember that there's a way to force Windows to let you remove the files but I'm not going to look into that ;)

I would say that it's a trunk issue since the new plugin work fine in Firefox 2 and Firefox 1.5, and both the old and the new plugins are buggy in GP.

What about this embedded WMP video... does it work for you in Minefield?
http://media.fairfax.com.au/?sy=smh&cat ... &rid=27428
..... it works for me Gran Paradiso with the new plugin and the old one, with no tinkering. What about in Firefox 1.5 or Firefox 2 ... try creating a new test profile then install Fx 1.5 or Fx2 and then test the new plugin (or the old one) using the above link and the other test pages given earlier. I'm curious if any embedded WMP works for you.
Alice Wyman
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

@Alice,
No, that link does not work either, only the audio comes thru. I get a blank white area where the video should be and no controls or anything else.

Thanks again for your help...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a4pre) Gecko/20070423 Minefield/3.0a4pre Firefox ID:2007042318 [cairo]
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

When you right-click on the place the player should be, do you get the WMP plugin context menu?
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Vectorspace wrote:When you right-click on the place the player should be, do you get the WMP plugin context menu?

No, I get a standard context menu like you get when clicking a page.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

I have no idea whatsoever.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

@Vectorspace,
Thanks.. I'm must hoping that this plugin does turn into another 'version specific' plug like Roboform was for awhile.. and ends up totally busted when Firefox 3.0 comes along.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a4pre) Gecko/20070425 Minefield/3.0a4pre Firefox ID:2007042505 [cairo]
Alice

Post by Alice »

I just noticed that, with direct links to Windows Media Video (.WMV) files, the new WMP plugin now plays the video inside a Firefox browser tab/window, and not in the external application as the old plugin does, at least for .WMV files with the correct video/x-ms-wmv MIME type, For example:
http://wymette.home.att.net/files/wmptest.wmv
http://home.att.net/~cherokee68/C4.wmv

I also tried this link:
http://members.aol.com/jrzycrim01/mozil ... est-HS.wmv
.....but I had to OK an "opening" dialog before I could open the file in my default application (WMP) which then opened externally, so it seems that the server is sending that WMV file with an incorrect MIME type.

P.S. Here is what I see with SeaMonkey for the "misconfigured" file:
...."likely to be" is how SM describes cases where it is guessing at the content, which is why the box to set a helper application is 'greyed out'.
Last edited by Alice on April 29th, 2007, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alice Wyman
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

As is the case with most wmv's, that one is marked as text/plain.

Apache (the web server software) contains a list of file extensions and the associated mime types, and does not include wmv in this list. Unknown types default to text/plain, unless otherwise specified. Apache is very commonly used, hence the commonness of this issue. I think I remember hearing that a future version would resolve this.

I have also noticed that the new WMP plugin can load fullscreen.
Leo Van Newhouse

Post by Leo Van Newhouse »

This plug-in is annoying me. I've been trying everything that I believe applies to my problem. The thing is every time I want to play an embedded movie in FF it crashes... Every single time, what ever website, video I try. Anyone know what might be the cause???

I run Windows XP Pro SP2 with FireFox 2.0.0.4.
Bluestreak30

Windows Media Player 11 plug in

Post by Bluestreak30 »

I just downloaded the plug in for WMP 11 and installed it on my XP system. Now I can't play embedded videos, such as news vids. I can hear the audio, but the video doesn't come up. Can anyone help me work this out?

These worked with my previous set up in WMP 10.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

I also have a problem which I wonder if anyone can help with. Mine is minor and more of an annoyance ...

When I try to play videos on CNN, I get a message saying thay they can't determine what version media player I have, even though I have this plugin and WMP 11 installed. If I click 'continue to video', everything works fine. Any ideas?

:)
It's like I said.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

CNN's detection method only works in Internet Explorer.
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Does that mean I have to see that annoying page everytime I click a CNN video?
It's like I said.

Re: Windows Media Player 11 plug in

Post by Guest »

Bluestreak30 wrote:I just downloaded the plug in for WMP 11 and installed it on my XP system. Now I can't play embedded videos, such as news vids. I can hear the audio, but the video doesn't come up. Can anyone help me work this out?

These worked with my previous set up in WMP 10.

Maybe this section of the WMP KB article will help:
[url=http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media_Player#Player_does_not_appear.2C_but_audio_.28sometimes.29_still_plays_-_all_plugin_files_are_listed_in_about:plugins]Player does not appear, but audio (sometimes) still plays - all plugin files are listed in about:plugins[/url]

If not, post a link to the problem video and give some more information such as whether the same video will play if you uninstall the new plugin (listed in Add or Remove Programs as "Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin") or if you remove the file "np-mswmp.dll" from the Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins folder.

I'm assuming your Windows XP system came with the standard WMP plugin npdsplay.dll, which would be found in the C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\ folder.
User 68

Post by User 68 »

I'm having a sorta similar problem. I see a player with embedded content and hear sound, but see no video. I updated to the plugin, and still nothing.

I am trying to see these clips:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup2007/hno/