Vista, Firefox 2.0.0.3, and WMP 11

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
CbHeretic

Vista, Firefox 2.0.0.3, and WMP 11

Post by CbHeretic »

Hey guys, I just installed Vista Ultimate and I was noticing that I cant play any embedded WMV videos in Firefox, I have to actually download the file and play it with WMP. With XP it worked out of the box, but with Vista's new DRM and everything who knows what Bill changed. Anyway, any help would be appreciated...I'll download the videos if I have to, but its a real pain. I started to go through the little walkthrough thats posted on here, but it seemed like it only applied to Firefox 1 versions and WMP 10 or before. Thanks.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Vista doesn't contain the WMP plugin in order for Firefox to play embedded Windows Media files in WMP 11. Follow Alice's suggestions here to resolve that issue:

http://tinyurl.com/2acmcz

EDIT: Seems like Alice just beat me to it, but I'll leave my link to the forum thread intact, as it's an extremely informative and useful read.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Yeah, that thread was a good one 8-)
CbHeretic

Post by CbHeretic »

Alright, thanks for the quick reply guys :)
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Our pleasure... :)
Alice

Post by Alice »

Just wanted to add that there's a new WMP11 plugin installer for Firefox users (Windows XPsp2 and Vista) that is now available. It hasn't been added to the Windows Media Player KB article yet but there's some information about it here, on the article's Talk page:
EDIT:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:Windows_ ... or_firefox
...the plugin also works in WMP10/WinXPsp2
Last edited by Alice on April 17th, 2007, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Alice, is this a new 'plugin' or just the same .dlls packaged up nice and neat in one spot? WMP11 still acts funny in Firefox/Minefield, squished vids, jumpy playback, blackouts during playback, and other ugliness under Vista/Minefield.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Littlemutt,
It's a new plugin. I really don't know all the details but Vectorspace has added some more information to the WMP KB article Talk page (and changed the section title). He says that the new plugin also works in WMP 10.
See:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:Windows_ ... or_firefox
Alice Wyman
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

It is a completely new plugin. It has the modern skin and scripting support. If it supports scripting, I would assume that it also supports many of the other advanced features the ActiveX control has that were not available in the previous plugin.

There is nothing in the download page to specify that it is WMP11 only, despite what it says on the Addons.mozilla.org plugins page. I ran the installer on my system - XPsp2 with WMP10 and it is working fine.

The installer is marked as XP and Vista only. Since it's an msi installer inside the exe this might be true. However it doesn't necessarily mean that the plugin itself, if extracted manually from the msi (after extracting the msi from the exe), won't work on other versions of Windows.

XP and Vista users of WMP 10 or 11 should just have to run the exe. Since it installs the plugin solely to the Firefox plugins folder, it won't work if you use a zip build or if your version of Firefox is not properly registered in the Windows Registry.

I have 2K with WMP9 installed on my second hard drive - I'm off to see if it works there.

***update***
The exe and msi installers fail on Windows 2000, as was expected.
Placing the dll file manually in Firefox (2.0.0.3)'s plugins folder in Windows 2000 with WMP9 also did not work.
This means that either the plugin requires WMP10 or higher, XP or higher, or must be properly installed via the installer for it to work.
On my XPsp2 w WMP10 I uninstalled it through Add/Remove Programs and then restored just the dll file manually, and it worked. This suggests that it does not need to be installed via the installer, but for this to be truly conclusive someone who has never run the installer needs to check - the uninstall could have left vital files behind.
For full conclusiveness someone with Windows XP and WMP 9 needs to test it to see if it works in WMP9.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Handle With Care

Post by Handle With Care »

I just installed that plugin (following instructions to close Fx before running installation, and then restart). I tested on the msnbc.com site and had the normal failure. msnbc.com's problems are discussed elsewhere. For me, if it is to work at all, one has to enable java and javascripts and then disable any cookie and popup blockers. This sometimes helps and is an awful lot of trouble, and I'll be hanged if I ever make msnbc.com an exception to that kind of blocking. If other sites can make their videos work without all that nonsense, not worth it to let M$ into my machine.
AMD A8-3800 APU Radion HD Graphics 2.40 GHz; 64-bit Win-7 SP1 Home Premium w/latest patches; Fx 91.0.1 (64-bit); Tb 92.0B3(64bit)
EFnet oper irc.Prison.NET
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

msnbc.com uses Flash video now - has for some time.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, with Firefox 2.0.0.1 and it works like a charm :)
capandjudy

Worked At First But....!

Post by capandjudy »

Initially the new WMP plugin worked but after a while WMP streams from CNN resulted the the old notice that WMP could not be found although the "pipeline " links seemed to work. Oddlly, after copying the DLL into K Meleon plugins folder, K Meleon worked without a hitch on the CNN streams. I uninstalled the plugin from add/remove and reinstalled it without getting the CNN WMP streams to work in Firefox. Go figure??? -- Windows XP.
Norman Hunter
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

This appears to install, but its does not work, nor is it listed in the plugins folder when using 'Trunk/Minefield' builds.. BAH!

Some stupid version thing going on ???

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a4pre) Gecko/20070417 Minefield/3.0a4pre Firefox ID:2007041702 [cairo][Places]

VistaHP

EDIT: I found the .dll in a folder named: C:/Pfile/plugins
I copied the .dll into the Minefiled plugins folder, and now it shows up in the About:plugins - but there is no video or controls, only sound when trying to play a video from CNN.