COKEDUDE

Re: Vista, Firefox 2.0.0.3, and WMP 11

Post by COKEDUDE »

Ok thx for explaining.
Arodicus

Post by Arodicus »

BUG IN WMP-11 INSTALLER FOR FIREFOX

We just discovered a serious flaw in the WMP11 plugin installer which may explain why some people cannot get WMP to work in FF3, but others can. The fix isn't perfect, but it may get you kicked in the right direction.

Under some circumstances, the Windows Media Player plugin will load the dll into /Program Files/Mozilla Firefox 3/Plugins/, even though Firefox 3 typically installs to Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/ if you update, or sometimes from a clean install as well, or if you change the directory name. In short, the new DLL cannot be found by FF3; it's looking in the wrong place.

WMP 11 works for *some* people because they have previously installed WMP11 in FF2, and updated to FF3. Thus they are running WMP11 with the old plugin they were using in FF2 (which may or may not work to varying degrees).

THE FIX is to simply move the files from /Program Files/Mozilla Firefox 3/Plugins/ to /Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/Plugins/, whereupon WMP11 will suddenly start working again on many sites where it previously had not. We're still testing full compatibility; scripting issues still exist, but at least the thing plays.
claypool

Post by claypool »

I am using SeaMonkey 1.1.14 on XP Home 5.1.2600, Service Pack 2.0. I seem to have WMP 11 (although wringing that info out has been very successful). SeaMonkey will not do play AT&T's radio. (I'm being badgered into using a browser that I don't like as well. Gr-r-r-r.) It seems that WMP could be used with a user agent switcher. However, I have cold feet.

Most of the documentation is geared for Firefox. It seems that the add-on I found would work with SeaMonkey. However, before I jump, I would like to know if there are any pains to be experienced in getting installation to work and if I need to un-install and re-install the switcher every time a new official build comes out.

I tried searching the forum, but mostly was getting Firefox stuff.
James

Post by James »

claypool, the SeaMonkey questions goes in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=51
tfm

Post by tfm »

I have an issue which is somewhat related to this discussion. I'm running the latest version of Firefox, with Windows Media Player 9. This is because I'm using Windows 2000 and thus can't use a newer version of MP.

Here's the problem: when I click on a link that's supposed to open Media Player, the player opens but won't connect. I need to input the URL in the OPEN URL slot of Media Player to get it to connect and play the file. This wouldn't be much of a problem if not that, in some cases, the link is not transparent and I can thus not play the desired file.

This, btw, is not an issue when I use IE6: no problem connecting.

Post by Guest »

Different question. Have MS XP and recently switch to Firefox Mozilla. Now when I download/save media from the web, the download aborts almost immediately. Example: A 43 minute talk is Downloaded in 7 or 8 minutes. I did not have this problem with MS Internet Explorer.