Red Dots on loading images

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

I've tried the profile fix numerous times, but it doesn't seem to work.

For me, the red dots come up after turning the computer back on from sleep (when the homepage is set to iGoogle; the dots disappear after closing Firefox and opening it again).

As for the iGoogle problem, I changed my default homepage to a blank page, but the red dots still show up if you visit the Google page first, before visiting any other page. It seems that changing the homepage to gmail.com doesn't display the red dots, so that's comforting.

Anyways, thanks for pointing out the iGoogle problem!

Post by Guest »

It's AdBlock. Go do the extentions tab and disable the AdBlock extension (do not disable it from the status bar). Restart. Go back to trying to load your pages. I tried this and didn't get the "japanese flag" anymore.
allan daiku

Post by allan daiku »

It appears to be AdBlock sometimes, but not all the time. I don't have AdBlock, and have never installed it. So whatever it is, it's something that AdBlock and iGoogle must both do.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

I use Adblock all the time, but have never seen those red dots.
Swami

Post by Swami »

Just out of curiosity I made iGoogle my personalized homepage and have adblock plus install.
I am still not seeing those red dots placeholders. :cry:
Edit: After restart I now see them. iGoogle is the culprit. :)
Ghede

My find

Post by Ghede »

I uninstalled adblock and then edited a file called prefs.js and removed this line “/user_pref("permissions.default.image", 3);” I know see images I didn’t and the little red dots are gone.
jfreyre

Post by jfreyre »

HI carlosoctavio, sorry for delay mi answer but I was out of town.

Uninstall is successful although you don't uninstall the addons. So I don't think the slowing in images loading is related with the reinstalling.

Do you run another process simultaneously? Does it ocurrs intermittently?
Survivalism

Post by Survivalism »

Could the red dots have the same meaning as the RECORD button on my remote control?

In that case, is BIG BROTHER watching me?

If that is the case: GET OFF MY INTERNETS, BIG BROTHER!
Timz84

Post by Timz84 »

Anonymous wrote:It's AdBlock. Go do the extentions tab and disable the AdBlock extension (do not disable it from the status bar). Restart. Go back to trying to load your pages. I tried this and didn't get the "japanese flag" anymore.

I just tried this and it fixed the dots for me, they are really annoying... I have also had another seemingly related problem lately, sometimes when I click a link or a bookmark from the toolbar it acts like i didnt click it at all, i know it's not my mouse, anyone else have this particular problem?
joann44

Red dots

Post by joann44 »

To load images instead of red dots, go to View --> Message body as --> original HTML
I_dont_like_red_dots

red diamonds showing up for image placeholders in Firefox

Post by I_dont_like_red_dots »

I had this same thing happen to me on Windows XP running Firefox 1.0.7 - suddenly I had red diamonds in place of the normal IE/FF image place holders. When this error showed up, it occurred in both FF and IE at the same time.

After reading this thread, I followed the directions and created a blank/default FF profile. No change, still had the red dots. At first I thought it was some software I installed on my system, but after playing around further, it didn't seem to be related.

What (in my case) corrected the problem was changing my home page. On the same day this problem showed up, I had made my home page a link to some item I was watching on ebay. That seemed to trigger the change in the place holder image. When I went and changed the home page back to my normal website, the problem went away in both IE and FF at the same time.

I put my original FF profile back into place and the error did not come back.

In searching around the internet, I did run across a site that showed a bit of javascript that you could use to alert the placeholder image (I can't find it again, because I cleared my history). I wonder if some webpages have some javascript that might be producing this error? The fact that the error (at least on my system) came and went in both Firefox and IE at the same time seems to suggest that the problem isn't related to FF only, but perhaps something more at the system level (or at least something both FF and IE make use of).

Anyway, I was able to fix the red diamonds and wanted to relate my experience here in case it helps anyone locate the source of the issue, etc.

Ray
LeadingZero

Post by LeadingZero »

I've experienced the issue with the red dots with Firefox for quite awhile now. jfreyre's solution works briefly, but the red dots always return. Likewise, creating an entirely new profile fixes the issue, and for a longer period of time, but the red dots do still return in time.

I do not have Adblock installed.
I do not have iGoogle set as my homepage.
I do not have eBay or any other page with javascript or dynamic content set as my homepage.
I do not have the Google Toolbar or Picasa installed.

So I'd have to agree with the poster Julio A. Freyre-Gonzalez when he says that the "problem about red dots is multifactorial" in the 'Bug Report 272534' https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=272534

Apparently, there are additional factors at play. While this is a purely cosmetic issue, I'd love to see it resolved. It's driving me batty.
fswl1234

Post by fswl1234 »

and it's not just firefox, the "red dot" looks worse in thunderbird
allan_daiku

Post by allan_daiku »

One more interesting detail...

Since I removed iGoogle as my homepage, I haven't had the red dots. Until today, that is. I decided to use the "Winestripe" theme, and that once again caused the red dots to appear, regardless of my homepage. When I switched back to the default FF theme, the red dots once again disappeared.

Another clue?
Bussani

Post by Bussani »

I came here wondering if anyone could shed any light on this subject, but it seems everyone's as in the dark as me about it.

I've encountered these red dots a few times before. In my experience, certain websites cause the image icon to change into them, and stay that way until firefox is completely restarted.

I can't really add much other than that. I know that http://sagubooru.saguratus.com/blog causes the image loading thing to become red dots, but I've never had them get stuck on permanently. Then again, I have few add-ons installed (only Chatzilla I believe). Maybe particular sites cause them to start, and one of the add-ons causes them to stay? Or vice versa.