Red Dots on loading images

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Viper_Maniac

Red Dots on loading images

Post by Viper_Maniac »

Up until today I never had little dots on images that Firefox was trying to download. For some reason I have them now and they're kinda annoying. Is there anyway to turn those dots off? I liked it before because everything looked as clean as could be. My FF version is 2.0.0.3.

Heres a screenshot to show what I mean:

Thanks for any help you can give.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

I think this is a download problem. I see the red dots initially, but the pictures gradually appear, albeit very slowly. The webmaster appears to have placed every image on one page so that it will require a fast connection to download every one of them. Even with an ADSL2+ connection which is what I've got which gives me an average download speed of around 1600Kbps/sec, it still took around 20 seconds to download the complete page.
Your image with the dots show as line 900 at the bottom. But there are actually 2500 images and you need to allow the page time to load properly if you've got a slower connection.

To save everybody else the trouble of typing the URL in the image, here it is: http://www.acc.umu.se/%7Ezqad/cats/inde ... o&large=no
Swami

Post by Swami »

No red dots for me. Just the standard placeholders. I sometimes do get the red dot placeholders, but never have figured the cause.
Viper_Maniac

Post by Viper_Maniac »

I thought it was a problem with Firefox since I've never gotten those dots before. Ever. I don't even see them in IE. I guess I was hoping it was a problem with Firefox because like I said they're kinda annoying.
juleees

Post by juleees »

I've just started getting these as well. Have read it's got something to do with AdBlock but it doesn't make sense as AsBlock's been here for months and as I said...I just got the red diamonds a couple of days ago. For the record, I did disable it and no good. And you won't make sense to you Viper_Maniac either, seeing as it seems you don't have AdBlock installed.

Any easily done solution that doesn't include 'uninstall and install Firefox again'? :P
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Viper...is your OS Linux? The reason I ask is because I saw there's a Linux folder in the toolbar at the top of your screenshot. Also, the red dots aren't the standard way of displaying placement holders. They should look like you see them in the image ((I've hit PageDown several times to get to a paragraph where the images haven't loaded properly yet):

Post by Guest »

juleees wrote:I've just started getting these as well. Have read it's got something to do with AdBlock but it doesn't make sense as AdBlock's been here for months and as I said...I just got the red diamonds a couple of days ago. For the record, I did disable it and no good. And you won't make sense to you Viper_Maniac either, seeing as it seems you don't have AdBlock installed.

Any easily done solution that doesn't include 'uninstall and install Firefox again'? :P

I do have Adblock installed. The latest version. Look at the bottom right of my screenshot I posted. ABP button.

Reflective wrote:Viper...is your OS Linux? The reason I ask is because I saw there's a Linux folder in the toolbar at the top of your screenshot. Also, the red dots aren't the standard way of displaying placement holders. They should look like you see them in the image ((I've hit PageDown several times to get to a paragraph where the images haven't loaded properly yet):

No my OS is XP Pro SP2. I do use linux but I've never had this happen on there either. Usually it was either what you posted in that shot or was a blank empty box as a placeholder.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

It could possibly be something to do with the theme you're using. If you run FF in Safe Mode, instructions here, the browser will run without any plugins or themes. If it works properly then, one of your plugins or themes is the cause of the problem.

Since a few other people have mistaken "Safe Mode" for the Windows version, I just want to point out here that "Safe Mode" in Firefox is something altogether different.
nobodyspecial1983

Post by nobodyspecial1983 »

I have this problem too and safe mode doesn't help. It's strange firefox never used to have those dots and all the sudden they're there. Maybe since the latest release? I dunno.
Kodafox515

I got a fix for it

Post by Kodafox515 »

If these are still bothering you I found a fix for it.

Type "about:config" into the adress bar in firefox.

A list of options are displayed.

In the box where it says filter type "image"
find the option that says: "browser.display.show_image_placeholders"
double click this option so that the value reads "false"
You can close the window where you opened "about:config"

Now those pesky red dots should be gone.

Re: I got a fix for it

Post by Guest »

Kodafox515 wrote:If these are still bothering you I found a fix for it.

Type "about:config" into the adress bar in firefox.

A list of options are displayed.

In the box where it says filter type "image"
find the option that says: "browser.display.show_image_placeholders"
double click this option so that the value reads "false"
You can close the window where you opened "about:config"

Now those pesky red dots should be gone.

I've had the same frustrating red dot problem lately. My normal "loading image" and "broken image" graphics always show up as a red dot.

The above fix doesn't doesn't really address the underlying problem. Although the red dots are gone, you have no way of seeing if there's a broken or loading image on the page you're looking at.

I'm experiencing the problem with Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Mac OS X. I believe the broken and loading image icons are at /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/res/broken-image.gif (and loading-image.gif). They should be in a similar location on other OS's. These files are as they should be on my computer, but firefox won't use them :/
Viper_Maniac

Post by Viper_Maniac »

Reflective wrote:It could possibly be something to do with the theme you're using. If you run FF in Safe Mode, instructions here, the browser will run without any plugins or themes. If it works properly then, one of your plugins or themes is the cause of the problem.

Since a few other people have mistaken "Safe Mode" for the Windows version, I just want to point out here that "Safe Mode" in Firefox is something altogether different.

I'm using the default theme. The only plugins I'm using is Adblock and Filterset.G Updater.

Thanks for the suggestion Koda but thats pretty much just a temporary fix. Not a permanent one.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Viper_Maniac wrote:
Reflective wrote:It could possibly be something to do with the theme you're using. If you run FF in Safe Mode, instructions here, the browser will run without any plugins or themes. If it works properly then, one of your plugins or themes is the cause of the problem.

I'm using the default theme. The only plugins I'm using is Adblock and Filterset.G Updater.

The reason I thought you weren't using a default theme was because both the title bar as well as the Taskbar in your screenshot are not the standard Windows flavour.
neonhomer

Post by neonhomer »

I was able to view that page without any problems as well. All of the image placeholders had a red dot in them, but they loaded very quickly.

If it matters, I am running FF 2003 w/ NoScript, AdBlock, DownThemAll, FireFusk and ForecastFox on WinXPProSP2 8000/512 cable ISP, 1GB Ram

I love that site.......
"What we got here is, failure to communicate...." Strother Martin, Cool Hand Luke

Post by Guest »

I've tried quitting Firefox and restarting, which has never fixed the red dot problem. However, when I restarted my computer, FF reverted back to the old, correct loading images for a while. After about an hour of browsing, the red dots reappeared. (Firefox 2.0.0.3, Mac OS X)