Address Bar On Firefox No Longer Automatic Go

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jill

Post by jill »

Thanks so much dickvl for your help and patience. I am always learning something here and am grateful for this site.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You're welcome.
We are here to help and give additional info if possible.

You can see in the http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search article that you can set a pref (keyword.URL) to choose what action you want for the location bar search.
A lucky search or open the Google site with the results or no search at all: that is what I like.
Because if I make a type error then I want to correct it as soon as possible and I don't want to end up on the wrong site or do a search. That can still happen if that site exist (one word search) and there are people out there that try to make advantage of that by buying such domains.

Post by Guest »

jill wrote:Guest , isn't that for Feeling Lucky ? I don't want my search to Be feeling lucky. I want it by Google and not the google feeling lucky.

Now I do get Google results , but I am still not Google's automatic go when something is typed into Googles address bar. It has been going automatically but no longer

Google has been puting the http://www into the address bar automatically and it goes.

Until about a week ago when any word or a couple of words were typed into the Firefox address bar , it would go automatically without my having to click the "GO" button. Firefox would add the Http:// www and the complete URL then automatically go to the URL of the word typed

I think you are confused. That is what happens when you use I'm feeling lucky. You are taken to the first result of the Google search; what you call "Google's automatic go". When you installed Yahoo, it changed your settings. You need to revert back to the default setting for keyword.url. Uninstalling the yahoo toolbar obviously didn't do this.

Post by Guest »

Go to about:config
Find keyword.url.
Right-click on keyword.url and select "Reset".

That will change the address bar search back to the default.
jill

Post by jill »

Thanks Guest. I went to about:config and to the Keyword URL and it is already default. So I just uninstalled Yahoo toolbar and Firefox. I did a clean reinstall of Firefox and left off the Yahoo toolbar. Everything seems okay. I went back to about:config and checked the Keyword URL and it is default. The same as it was before , so I don't think it is on Feeling Lucky. I did not see it anywhere.

Thanks so much for your help and for dick's help and all the others too. I hope everything has been straightened out.
foxyrob

Post by foxyrob »

jill wrote:Until about a week ago when any word or a couple of words were typed into the Firefox address bar , it would go automatically without my having to click the "GO" button. Firefox would add the Http:// www and the complete URL then automatically go to the URL of the word typed . If it did not know the URL , then it would automatically go to Google's search results . It no longer will go automatically. I have to click on the "GO" button. It no longer adds the dot com either.

## on my machine and firefox 1.5.0.12:
when i type in the address bar (left of the green 'go' button) a part of an internetaddress *i used before*, a *list* appears -just below the address bar- with internet addresses to choose from.
when i choose one of these by clicking it, it is transferred to the address bar and that page is opened automagically.
alternatively i can type the full address, needed when it does not appear in the list (is not visited before).
i observe the list is constantly growing (the longer i use firefox).

i believe this is the 'History' function.

yesterday (and once before a.f.a.i. recall) that list did **not** appear any more, and i had to type the complete internet address for every site i wanted to visit.
in tools|options|history i had to do 'clear browsing history now'
now the automatic list with proposals appeared again, but was empty, so i must type in each address i want to visit *once* fully myself, and the list is growing again.

could the problem be an 'overload of storage' for the list (max. number of addresses reached)?
my setting is to keep history for 31 days (maybe the default setting).

could the above be jill's problem??

hth,
rob
jill

Post by jill »

Thanks foxyrob , yes this is the history function. I clear my history every 2 days as I don't want it to become so big. Infact I clear my entire cache about every 2 days.

Thanks for your response.
foxyrob

Post by foxyrob »

jill wrote: I clear my history every 2 days as I don't want it to become so big. Infact I clear my entire cache about every 2 days.

## hi,
what's your gain when clearing history that often??
i did ran in trouble with 'too much history (?)' after using FF for some months without clearing.

does FF work faster when the history is cleared?

rob
jill

Post by jill »

Well , I just like to do this about every 2 days. Not only history , but temporary internet files , temporary files. The entire cache. I find when things get too large , Firefox does become slower . It also will tell me that it cannot connect to server. So I just clear everything out . That is just my computer though , yours may not do this.
Thanks foxyrob
parfire

Re: Address Bar On Firefox No Longer Automatic Go

Post by parfire »

Hi All, I have found an innovative solution. Just delete your profile and create a new profile by going to profile manager and restart your firefox. The problem gets solved as if it never existed. To open the firefox manager you would need to type "firefox.exe -Profilemanager' in the Start--> Run. Cheers!
LIMPET235

Re: Address Bar On Firefox No Longer Automatic Go

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks for the reply but I doubt that the OP is still monitoring this old thread.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)