How to get firefox to show image placeholders?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

up
technomage

Post by technomage »

i don't think constantly bumping this thread without something meaningful to add to it is going to help any. the question has been answered as fully as is possible at the moment. unless the devs change the way FF behaves or someone writes a patch/extension/whatever, i think this is as far as this topic can go.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4
Mozilla Thunderbird version 1.5.0.4 (20060516)
Desktop: WinXP Pro | AthlonXP 1700+ | 512MB DDR | ATI Radeon 9000
Laptop: WinXP Home | Intel Centrino Solo 1.66 GHz | 1024 MB DDR2 | Intel GMA 950 Graphphi

Post by Guest »

ujkm,
incredibles

Post by incredibles »

I also would like FF to show a placeholder in ALL cases that an image is not found, regardless of whether it has alt text defined...
Is there an open bug on this?
bugmenot account is disabled.
technomage

Post by technomage »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4
Laptop: WinXP Home | Intel Centrino Solo 1.66 GHz | 1024 MB DDR2 | Intel GMA 950 Graphphi
incredibles

Post by incredibles »

Wow.... long one!
Browsing that bug I found this one, which I think it's more specific to what we're talking about:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=180991
it was actually considered as a duplicate of the one you mentioned, but it was reopened (and no news about it)
technomage

Post by technomage »

I was personally more interested in a bug that made reference to alt="" in the topic, but that one was also marked a dupe of 41924.

Either way, I think it's clear that the representation of broken images when there are alt tags and no set image dimensions is really really bad. Which is kind of odd since Mozilla supports w3 standards and w3 standards encourage the use of alt tags.
melizer

Post by melizer »

I just found this post because I wanted to print pages that hadareally colorful banner ads on the sides. I wanted to show image placeholders for the entire page, then right-click on just the images I want to print and Show Picture (in IE-speak). That way I don't waste all my color ink, and the page looks neater too. Has anyone found a way to do this, the way Firefox is now?

Post by Guest »

In addition to "browser.display.show_image_placeholders", also try "browser.display.force_inline_alttext".

Post by Guest »

Bumpity bump bump. Seems Firefox is still full of holes...

Using 3.0b2, and this issue still seems to have been unresolved. I'm trying to bug-test a dynamic image I use as an avatar on some sites, that seems to have an intermittent problem that results in the image not being displayed. Because Firefox can't render the image (probably due to a PHP error output into the data stream), it... you guessed it... does not show up at all, without even a hint that there was an image. The only way I can think of to reproduce the problem was from Offline Mode, and saving the corrupt file from the cache, then opening it in a hex editor... which I couldn't do since I couldn't right click and view the image directly (since it didn't exist).

Judging from the fact that there are at least two (three? more?) long and accepted bug reports about the handling of broken images, why on earth hasn't this been addressed yet? It seems so simple since Firefox already handles *some* broken images properly...?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Maybe starting a new thread instead of bumping one that's 3 years old would make more sense.
If you don't like Firefox don't use it.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Post by Guest »

Making a new thread just creates spam, duplicate topics, "WE'VE DONE THIS BEFORE, SEARCH!", and all sorts of other crap nobody wants.

And that whole "if you don't like it, don't use it" is the most overused, yet totally asinine, response ever given to any post someone doesn't have a reasonable solution for. Do you honestly believe someone would stop using Firefox because of a problem like image placeholders? They'd have to be the biggest crybabies on the planet...

If anything, I'd quit using Firefox simply for the incompetent staff behind it.
chief editor

Re: How to get firefox to show image placeholders?

Post by chief editor »

So, what's new on this issue? FireFox 3.0 still does not provide any direction where images are placed on a page. Simple alt-text (even if it is present in an img-tag) shown can not be easily distinguished from ordinary text on a page, that is the borwsers does not clearly indicate "this is an image here". I'd prefer FireFox show image borders for disabled images, as most other browsers do.

The lack of image placeholders when images are intensionally disabled is a bug (not critical but serious, imo).

Post by Guest »

bump
chief editor

Post by chief editor »

I'd prefer to have some "feedback" from the support. Is anybody here from the team who could give some reasoning?