MozillaZine

QuickTime Player cuts off sound clips early...

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
moonfire

Post Posted September 10th, 2007, 1:21 pm

QuickTime Player cuts off sound clips early...

I've been trying to fix this problem for a week now... I'm EXHAUSTED!

When I try to play a music clip from a site using Firefox, QuickTime Player (QTP) cuts it off short; this site, www.musicforpeace.com. The page says "you will now hear 5 minutes of music from...", but I only get a few seconds. It's an .mp3 file.

I've been clicking on the Waterlilies album cover; the next page loads the QuickTime Player, and I hear about 7 seconds of music. In Internet Explorer, the Windows Media Player (WMP) loads, and I get about 5 minutes of music.

I first contacted the webmaster; he has no problems listening to the clips in Firefox using QTP, and has not heard any complaints from others.

Things I've tried and tested:
1) reset Firefox to use WMP instead; still loads QuickTime and cuts it off.
2) upgraded QuickTime Player
3) uninstalled QuickTime and clean reinstall from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7
4) rebooted in Safe Mode and did a complete uninstall again, cleaned out registry references to it, then reboot, redownload, reinstall...
5) uninstall all plugins, uninstall Firefox, redownload and reinstall Firefox, then plugins
6) Looked for and followed every QuickTime suggestion I could find on kb.mozillazine.org;
7) searched for any info on QuickTime at apple's site
8) I've reset many of the QTP settings (testing after each), browser settings, Mime settings, connection speed, removed the .dlls to reset the plugin, etc. etc. etc....

If anyone can figure out how to play these clips in Firefox, PLEASE let me know!

thank you so much,
moonfire in Portland, OR
Moon Reilly
Portland, OR
“Your life is your Story, be the author…” - Kathy Eastman, MA

dickvl

Post Posted September 10th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Dos it happen on all the sites that use QT to play files?

Does it work if you open an url directly in the player?
"http://www.musicforpeace.com/assets/multimedia/The_River_by_Paul_Lloyd_Warner_5_Min.mp3"

moonfire

Post Posted September 11th, 2007, 4:19 am

Good question, dickvl!

Yes, it happens with any mp3 file I click on in Firefox; I tried this one, among others - http://www.reelclassics.com/Audio_Video ... _clip.mp3; same for the clip you sent me the URL of, only a few seconds of music. i.e., When I go to the site, I only get a few seconds.

If I open QuickTime player, then open the URL in it, I get the full clip.

Does that suggest something?
Moon Reilly
Portland, OR

makaiguy

Post Posted September 11th, 2007, 7:09 am

What else do you have installed that gets between FFox/QT and the internet? Firewall, proxy, antivirus, etc?
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF Quantum 66.0.2 (64bit), TB 60.6.1 (32-bit) ║ Android 8.0/7.1.1: FF Mobile 66.0.2 No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

moonfire

Post Posted September 11th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Hello makaiguy,

I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite for antivirus, firewall, and antispyware. No proxy. My connection to the Internet is through 256K DSL over aracnet.

I haven't had any sound problems previously; I just moved to Firefox about 3 years ago, but I can't remember if I went looking for mp3 files since then, before this incident.

What's weird is that I can't even tell Firefox to use another program for mp3 files (tried that, didn't work, QT still loaded), and the fact that it plays just fine if I load the URL directly into the QT Player.

Thoughts?
Moon Reilly
Portland, OR

makaiguy

Post Posted September 12th, 2007, 6:14 am

To try a different MP3 player, you probably have first configure QT to NOT handle mp3 files. I use Winamp for mp3s, myself.
Win10 (64bit): FF Quantum 66.0.2 (64bit), TB 60.6.1 (32-bit) ║ Android 8.0/7.1.1: FF Mobile 66.0.2 No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

whit537

Post Posted September 19th, 2007, 9:42 am

I'm seeing the same problem. Anyone find a solution?

whit537

Post Posted September 19th, 2007, 10:44 am

This link seems to be working now:

http://www.musicforpeace.com/assets/mul ... _5_Min.mp3

Maybe it's the chunked transfer-encoding? How do you turn that off in Apache?

moonfire

Post Posted September 19th, 2007, 7:29 pm

Hello makaiguy,

Sorry it took so long to get back - I'm just exhausted from all the things I've tried.

I've not been able to get Firefox to use another player. I tried telling Firefox to use several different players, including Winamp, then finally tried uninstalling QTP, but Firefox keeps asking for QTPlayer.

I'm not sure I've done the 'handling' correctly; could you spell out what you meant by that?

thank you,
Moon Reilly
Portland, OR

moonfire

Post Posted September 19th, 2007, 7:35 pm

Hello whit537,

The link you tried is the direct link to an .mp3 file that dickvl sent me, not the link on the website. I did find that direct links work from Firefox in any player (if I capture the target in IE; I can't get the target in Firefox.)

However, as in my original post, if I go to www.musicforpeace.com and click on one of the covers, I get redirected to a page that 'should' load the appropriate player and play ~ 5 minutes.

But in Firefox, it only plays a few seconds in QuickTime. If I uninstall QuickTime and try to tell FireFox to use a different player, it only keeps looking for the QuickTime player. This is true for all sites that use this 'embedded player' coding to play a clip, not the ones that just provide a direct link to the file.

Thanks for trying! But I still can't get the embedded player to play more than a few seconds, still can't get Firefox to use anything other than QTPlayer as the embedded player.
Moon Reilly
Portland, OR

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted September 19th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Maybe you told Firefox to use QuickTime for certain file types. Search through the Tools>Options menu. Or maybe you have to set file associations on the computer. Just a thought. And what Makaiguy said is right, for sure. You can and should configure QuickTime to bug off on certain file types. QT has a menu for that. Disclaimer: I don't have this stuff in front of me right now to look.

makaiguy

Post Posted September 19th, 2007, 10:18 pm

moonfire wrote:I've not been able to get Firefox to use another player. I tried telling Firefox to use several different players, including Winamp, then finally tried uninstalling QTP, but Firefox keeps asking for QTPlayer.

I'm not sure I've done the 'handling' correctly; could you spell out what you meant by that?

Open the Quicktime Player.
Edit | Preferences | Quicktime Preferences | Filetypes

UNcheck MP3

dalekfish1

Post Posted September 9th, 2013, 4:33 pm

I too was having the same frustrating problem - the audio clip I'd embedded on my web pg was not playing entirely in FireFox. But, I seem to have found an easy solution - I opened up the mp3 file in QuickTime, saved it as a .mov file, re-linked it, and it now plays the whole clip! Go figure!

James

Post Posted September 9th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Sorry but this was a ancient thread from six years ago when Firefox was at 2.0.0.6

Return to Firefox Support