After updating to 2.0.0.7 NO webpages will load! Please help

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lythande

Post by lythande »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Bad idea. This is a security update. Look at this: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/securit ... ities.html . You need to just fix your firewall or whatever it is, or you will fall further and further behind on security updates.

And whatever you do, don't download it from miscellaneous sites you find on Google. Some of them are bundled with garbage, or even with malware. Get it from Mozilla.

Well that's all fine and dandy, but I don't have time to screw around with a browser 'update' that is _Buggy_. The last fiasco was enough, so I'm glad I looked here before I clicked the update button on the pop-up. I've noticed that when there's an update and people complain that something is broken because of it, the first thing that happens is that the problem is blamed on something else -- in this case, firewalls and malware. I don't know if you've heard, but several of the posts from people with the problem don't run a firewall. Also, I'm sure many of the people here are familiar enough with their firewalls to check there first. I'm not going to update to a version that forces me to use IE (which I have never used and wiped it completely off my drives until became so integrated into the OS that became impossible).

When the problem is fixed and blame stops being shifted, I'll update, but I'll check these forums first to make sure there aren't a bunch of breaks first.

Edit (regarding your Quicktime reference and the vulnerabilities link): Thankfully, I do run NoScript.
Sometimes my brain works too fast for my mind to keep up.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Well, people are becoming more familiar with firewalls after we have been drumming it in and saturating the Knowledge Base with info. So it is possible that some of these residual problems are not firewalls, but we still catch quite a few people who had no idea their firewall malfunctioned. We're not making this up, you know. If you can't connect to any Web site after an update, a firewall is always the first thing to suspect.

I don't know your particular case, and I have no idea what your symptoms are. Broken extensions and themes have been a problem with all new versions, and there are other possibilities. It would take you about a minute to create a new profile to test for all those possibilities. If that didn't work, it would take you about 3 minutes to download a new copy from www.mozilla.org , uninstall it with Add/remove programs, and install it in a new directory. Your data would not be affected.

By the way, don't look at a support forum and try to decide whether there are problems, because you'll never find a version that doesn't generate support requests. This forum services somewhere around 50 million to 150 million users.
lythande

Post by lythande »

I'm aware of that. I don't have a problem because I did not upgrade. I know people will always complain (that's why they come to the forums -- they have problems), but I look for major issues that more than one seem to be having. If it's something I can live with, fine, but I upgrade to make things better, not break things that work.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

IMHO this the old issue with firewalled Firefox with peaks on 1.5.0.1, 1.5.0.2, 1.5.0.9, 2.0.0.1 and now on 2.0.0.7

Please vote for bug#335289
lythande

Post by lythande »

Maybe the rules in the firewall need a bit of tweaking so this kind of thing doesn't happen? Why would firefox 2.0.0.6 work, but not 2.0.0.7 unless the version were in the rule? I used to run a firewall, and as I recall I could just tell it programX is allowed connections _except_ to/from siteY or _only_ to/from siteZ. When the program updated (unless the executable changed _names_) then it would follow the rules set up for the previous version. I haven't looked -- is firefox.exe now firefox06.exe? or firefox07.exe?
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

This issue on 2.0.0.7 is firewall-based, not Firefox-based, again:
beltzner wrote:We had this same problem when 1.5.0.1 was released, and while we keep in touch with the firewall vendors to ensure that they update their data on time, there isn’t a lot we can do in the case where our users don’t get that updated data.

source see link boven.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Amsterdammer wrote:IMHO this the old issue with firewalled Firefox with peaks on 1.5.0.1, 1.5.0.2, 1.5.0.9, 2.0.0.1 and now on 2.0.0.7

Please vote for bug#335289

Thanks for adding a bit of humor. Look at the links, and you'll see what this is about. A bug report is not necessarily about a bug. :mrgreen:

And that brings up the other kind of firewall. The kind that phones home for signatures of programs, but sometimes forgets.

lythande wrote:Maybe the rules in the firewall need a bit of tweaking so this kind of thing doesn't happen? Why would firefox 2.0.0.6 work, but not 2.0.0.7 unless the version were in the rule?

You definitely can't do that, lythande. Otherwise any virus could just call itself "firefox.exe" and have a free pass through the firewall. A firewall checks to see that that's <i>exactly</i> the same program that you allowed -- not just the same name or the same version number, but exactly the same file. A new version should never pass unless it gets permission somehow.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

RC2 was only a short time life, not added on FW-vendors whitelist on time, because these people dont work hard enough on weekends, Mozilla's Devs and QA well...
Thats Open Source , yeahhh
:mrgreen:
StefanGordon

Firewall?

Post by StefanGordon »

So, just like everyone else, i've lost connection with firefox after update.

Verified proxy settings were correct.
Removed all extensions.
Windows (2003) firewall service is disabled (and has been for some time).
No other security tools/firewalls installed.

IE7 works. Safari works. Opera works.

0.7 patch installed succesfully.

This seems like a mess, so many users having trouble. Maybe its not a 'firefox-issue' per se, but there are still alot more people on IE this morning than there were before the update went out. Whatever the problems are, Mozilla should take the responsibility to find a solution. Not to be an *******, but when IE and Opera update there is never a problem, firewall or otherwise. Only firefox.

And i'm not a helpless computer user, I'm a developer for a competing browser, so I know a little about how these things work. (And yes, I'm a firefox supporter)

Language edited. This is a family forum, watch the language. Dartman (Moderator)
smilinsara85

just for future reference

Post by smilinsara85 »

i uninstalled symantec antivirus and 2.0.0.7 works fine now. you moderators probably shouldn't be so quick to tell users that it's definitely their firewall if they updated and then it didn't work because it really wasn't related to my firewall. my symantec didn't have a firewall in it, it was only antivirus it just has some component that somehow blocks the new version of 2.0.0.7. you should probably figure out some way to help users make them compatible because the program doesn't have any way in it to allow programs. trust me, i spent the day looking. on the bright side, it works just fine with mcafee. :)
trolly

Post by trolly »

I always mention that any security software can do it.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

@Trolly, ur site with enumproces program is down
http://... /c/84/94/13/8494130.html
trolly

Post by trolly »

Thanks. I hope it will be online again soon.
Anyone knows another place to host it for free?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Smilinsara85,
Thanks for mentioning that. Other Internet security products besides firewalls can interfere with your browser, although I have no idea how or why. It may be that many of the problems we see, after most of the firewall problems have been taken care of, are other Internet security programs.

A few questions for the sake of documenting the problem. Can you tell us exactly what Norton product and version you have? And did it completely prevent you from viewing any Web sites with Firefox? Third question: did you have to reboot the computer before Firefox worked? Thanks.
fontal

Post by fontal »

I have the exactly exactly same problem, before updating 2.0.0.7, everything was just working fine, after upgrading and restart, no one web page can be opened any more, I tried all the possible ways as other guys did, reboot, clean profile data, using default, none of them worked,
IE worked great at every moment !
I reinstalled back to old version 2.0.0.6, it worked fine, and I reinstall 2.0.0.7, still not working, got back to 2.0.0.6, worked again,

it looks very like failing at dns resolving, but all other applications worked perfect without any problem.

so what is wrong with 2.0.0.7?

Temparory solution to me for now is using 2.0.0.6 old version, and I have to turn off the auto upgrading.

lucky to me I still keep the old version in my pc.