After updating to 2.0.0.7 NO webpages will load! Please help

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
curtisk

After updating to 2.0.0.7 NO webpages will load! Please help

Post by curtisk »

UPDATE - FIX, FOR KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY USERS, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT USE THE FIREWALL, ENABLE IT, RUN FIREFOX, THEN DISABLE THE FIREWALL, THIS FIX HAS WORKED FOR SOME US - HOPE THIS HELPS!

Hello! Everything has been working fine until now, when I updated to the latest version, I get
this error:

Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at example.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

This is very frustrating, as it was working 100% perfectly fine before. It is not a problem with my network.
every other browswer works fine. I removed Firefox, deleted all the registry settings, and all the folders
in Application Data. With the default settings, it still doesn't work. I have rebooted my PC, restarted my router,
flushed my DNS, renewed my DHCP address, even tried some articles on this site itself, but NOTHING works.

Please help me, as I do not want to use IE or Opera :\
Last edited by curtisk on September 20th, 2007, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
curtisk

Post by curtisk »

It's not a firewall, I dont use one. As I said, it worked 30s before I updated. Now it does not. Every other browser works, but Firefox.
curtisk

Post by curtisk »

It appears to be a DNS issue. But why it is isolated to Firefox, I don't know - everything else works fine.

Anyone know how I can go about fixing this? Please... I tried reverting to 2.0.0.6 but it doesn't work anymore
either.
nousChi

Same exact issue

Post by nousChi »

Same exact issue, I updated and now i have to use IE to figure how to make it work again. =(
Kermyt

Post by Kermyt »

Guess what, exactly the same problem here........i have tried uninstalling an cleaning and re-installing but to no avail. Also usuing IE now to try and figure it out.

Please helppppppppppppp.

Using BT Home Hub and windows firewall. All exceptions have been open.
jayjoe

Similiar Problem

Post by jayjoe »

some more infos to find the problem.

today morning i was surfing with firefox until it said it would have to update to version 2.0.0.7.
after updating and restarting firefox i can't access any webpages by dns-names no more.
if i use ip-adressess firefox will show the pages.
in contrast to the other users i have to say that IE, which i tried after the problem occured, has exactly the same problem.
when using cli to test network i can resolve dns-names without problems.
my OS is vista ultimate 64bit

i hope you find the problem soon
thanks in advance
nousChi

Tried downdating

Post by nousChi »

I tried uninstalling, clearing application related folders and registry entries(not sure i got them all but probably) And reinstalling 2.0.0.6, repeat 2.0.0.4, repeat 2.0.0.1, and all do the same, "Server not found. IE works fine, and Firefox 3. I figured i'd try installing Firefox Alpha 3.0a8pre, sure nuff it works fine. FF3 is called Minefield. I think that could have something to do with the issue. Some entries left with Firefox seeing as none of the older 2.x versions seem to work after uninstall reinstalls. Juat speculating. BTWj my firewalls are off, as usual when these types of things happen.
hoofdletterb

same problem..

Post by hoofdletterb »

I have exactly the same problem and I have tried all the solutions in the help pages. Firefox just wont resolve domain names, anyone found a solution yet?
jayjoe

additional information

Post by jayjoe »

just tried IE-64bit, this one can resolve dns-names, but IE 32bit and FF still don't.
trolly

Post by trolly »

You can try http://www.opendns.com/ as DNS replacement.

You can try the wdnslookup tool. Is this tool able to resolve names?
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/tools.html

If you are more comfortable with a command line you can use nslookup.

Also try the suggestions here: http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php
There seems to be a new virus/whatever around which can disturb the DNS process.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Kermyt

Post by Kermyt »

Oooh that looks a bit complicated for me. Is this problem a general Mozilla Firefox problem.
trolly

Post by trolly »

The last one definitely not.
There are a few problems with firefox on certain DNS servers but there is currently nothing that can tell the cause.
If using opendns helps then something is broken with your ISP DNS.

My tool is quite simple. Type in or copy an URL and click "Resolve". Then check the result.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
rupeshkumar

Post by rupeshkumar »

Same Error. Not sure whats the problem with Firefox 2.0.07 :(
trolly

Post by trolly »

The only change in .7 was an added check for an invalid URL passed from the quicktime plugin. Nothing else changed.
Did you check the other hints?