Restore FireFox History

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Dragon12345

Restore FireFox History

Post by Dragon12345 »

Hi,

I started firefox today, to see that my history had been deleted. Everything else in my profile such as formhistory and saved passwords are as they should be. I located the history.dat file in my profile but has been cleared. Is there any way I can restore my history data?

Hope you can help, thanks.
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

As far as I know the only way this can be done is to restore a backup copy if you have one.

For info the Bookmark Backup extension can be used to automatically create backups of your history.
Dragon12345

Post by Dragon12345 »

It seems firefox is deleting my history every time I close firefox which is why my history was deleted in the first place. How can I stop this, also is it possible to restore the history.dat file to a earlier time?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Private Data -> Settings

Check if the history.dat file is not write protected.

You can only restore what you have. There are no backups for the browsing history so if you do not have one ...

BTW: Why not using a newer version? You are using a now unsupported and insecure version.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Dragon12345

Post by Dragon12345 »

Thanks.

I justed updated to the latest version. I've unchecked 'always clear my private data when i close firefox' but it still erases my history.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Some external privacy tools can do that too.
Is the history.dat file changed during browsing?
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.

Post by Guest »

Ye, it changes while I'm browsing. But as soon as I close Firefox and open it again, it goes back to 0KB, so everything is deleted.
trolly

Post by trolly »

The history remains until firefox is restarted? Or does it disappear some time after closing firefox?

Post by Guest »

It remains until it is restarted
trolly

Post by trolly »

This usually means that firefox can not read the file anymore. :?:

Post by Guest »

hmm, any idea on what can be done?

thanks
trolly

Post by trolly »

Not at the moment. :-(
You can try FileMon to check what happens with that file on startup.
sjpsnax

Re: Restore FireFox History

Post by sjpsnax »

This morning when I went to my computer, my ENTIRE history was erased starting with last May till yesterday. All my recent websites that I went to were erased from my address bar AND everything had been closed - open tabs, documents, outlook etc. I don't know if this is a website issue, cache cleaner issue or crash - but I need my history back. How do I retrieve my history from Firefox and prevent this from happening ever again???

BTW, I also had another browser open called Avant, and when I opened that browser this morning, my history and all recently viewed websites in the address bar were still there.

Since 10AM, there still is no saved history in my address bar of the websites I've visited today, and I've visited around 10. Thanks for your prompt attention to this huge problem I'm experiencing.
sjpsnax

Post by sjpsnax »

Dragon12345 wrote:Hi,

I started firefox today, to see that my history had been deleted. Everything else in my profile such as formhistory and saved passwords are as they should be. I located the history.dat file in my profile but has been cleared. Is there any way I can restore my history data?

Hope you can help, thanks.

Have you solved this problem? It happened to me this morning as well?

This morning when I went to my computer, my ENTIRE history was erased starting with last May till yesterday. All my recent websites that I went to were erased from my address bar AND everything had been closed - open tabs, documents, outlook etc. I don't know if this is a website issue, cache cleaner issue or crash - but I need my history back. How do I retrieve my history from Firefox and prevent this from happening ever again???

BTW, I also had another browser open called Avant, and when I opened that browser this morning, my history and all recently viewed websites in the address bar were still there.

Since 10AM, there still is no saved history in my address bar of the websites I've visited today, and I've visited around 10. Thanks for your prompt attention to this huge problem I'm experiencing.
Wez

Post by Wez »

I had history all the way back till June and the other night I downloaded 3.6 and 3.5 closed automatically to update. Now when I go to my history its only kept Today and Yesterday's...whats happened to all my other months suddenly and a few other collegues of mine at work have the same issue.

How can we get our history back or resolved in anyway...Cheers.