MozillaZine

Firefox Slow To Switch Tabs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Protocol

Post Posted October 29th, 2007, 1:09 am

I have noticed recently that Firefox has become slow when switching tabs. There is a delay when switching. I am sure that Firefox wasn't always like that. It doesn't matter whether I have only two tabs open or a lot.

Any ideas?

Post Posted October 29th, 2007, 1:49 am

[quote="Protocol"]I have noticed recently that Firefox has become slow when switching tabs. There is a delay when switching. I am sure that Firefox wasn't always like that. It doesn't matter whether I have only two tabs open or a lot.

Any ideas?[/quote]

Picto44

Post Posted October 29th, 2007, 8:26 am

For many people this is caused by the Spybot immunizations of Firefox. They make firefox constantly check an enormous list of banned sites while it is doing anything, slowing it to a crawl.
Configure Spybot to not immunize Firefox, and you can try the unimmunize option. However, I don't believe that fixes it. In order to fix it you either have to make a new Firefox profile and copy your bookmarks to it, or delete the hostperm file in your profile.

Another cause is if you have hundreds of sessionstore files in your profile folder. If you do, they are usually caused by an antivirus program that is set to scan the firefox profile. Once you have set it to exclude that directory, delete all of the sessionstore files (firefox will make new ones) and that should fix.
To find the folder where these bad files are, see here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

Protocol

Post Posted October 29th, 2007, 12:12 pm

Thanks Picto44.
I do not have Spybot installed, but I will try your suggestions.

Protocol

Post Posted October 29th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Unfortunately, deleting sessionstore and/or hostperm did not work.

Tuperos

Post Posted October 29th, 2007, 1:32 pm

Since you were able to find your profile folder, it sounds like your skill level is up to the task of making a new profile and copying your bookmarks to it. That fixes most problems.
If somehow it doesn't fix it, likely suspect is a Firewall or Antivirus utility partially blocking Firefox.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Protocol

Post Posted October 29th, 2007, 2:17 pm

Tuperos wrote:Since you were able to find your profile folder, it sounds like your skill level is up to the task of making a new profile and copying your bookmarks to it. That fixes most problems.
If somehow it doesn't fix it, likely suspect is a Firewall or Antivirus utility partially blocking Firefox.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Yes, I am beginning to think that is the only way. But if the problem could be isolated, then it wouldn't be necessary. But I think I will bite the bullet and create a new profile.

Anita Bath

Post Posted September 7th, 2012, 9:26 pm

I found that my AV program (Avast) scans every page on every tab, every time I switch tabs (even if they haven't been reloaded). When I paused Avast's web shield, scrolling between tabs perked up. However, I'm not about to surf without the web shield, so I'm going to live with the scrolling issue. To me, it's less of an annoyance than potentially visiting a malware-infested website and not being aware of it.

LoudNoise

Post Posted September 7th, 2012, 9:42 pm

The last post was in 2007. Pay attention please. Turn off web shield. Firefox will protect in this matter. The database used is from Google which visits a hell of lot more sites daily then Avast. Locking,
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Return to Firefox Support