Youtube videos pausing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Joop Knoop

FF users moving back to IE?

Post by Joop Knoop »

Ok, so we have a problem in FF in combination with Adobe. We, FF users, cannot solve it. Mozilla has to talk to Adobe. Why? Simple, it doesn't happen to IE and Adobe.
Until then many (read: MANY) FF users will move back to IE and find out that it improved since 4.0 when they moved to FF.

Mozilla, make this your problem and save your users.

Joop.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I don't know, Joop, maybe they are. They often work with other vendors in the past to solve major problems, but they don't have unlimited resources to solve every problem with every plugin and every security suite.

Meanwhile, to solve your own problem on a timely basis, have you checked out your Flash settings? Have you thoroughly checked to see that the problem is not due to security software? These are the two <i>known</i> causes of this problem, and both are within your control.
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

Hummm wrote:Well, it's only big, if watching vids on YouTube plays a big part in your life.

Youtube IS big. It's not like some of us can't figure out how to play the flash coupons on Pick N' Save's home page. Furthermore, some of us have <b>jobs</b> that require us to be able to watch embedded videos. If our browser (especially one as popular as FF) doesn't allow us to do that, then that's a problem don't you think? I mean, I'm not surfing the net using "Bobby Sue's Excellent Browser (TM)" and complaining that it's not as good as IE -this is <i>Firefox</i> for goodness' sakes.

Hummm wrote:Maybe Firefox should take a leaf out of Youtube's and Adobe's book and just not answer questions on this stuff.

How silly.

VanillaMozilla wrote:Meanwhile, to solve your own problem on a timely basis, have you checked out your Flash settings? Have you thoroughly checked to see that the problem is not due to security software? These are the two known causes of this problem, and both are within your control.

I was starting to go more towards this being a flash issue, but that can't really be the case because Yahoo! videos use flash as well and it works just fine. I don't have any problems with embedded Yahoo! videos at all. No slow/stopping buffering, no choppiness, no need to move the cursor to keep the buffering going. Nothing like that. However, I have exhausted all possibilities of fixing this on my own. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong on my end. Settings are fine; I have the latest updates/installations of everything, and I have tried shutting down and/or uninstalling any security programs I have running to see if that's where the conflict is. Nothing changes.
tonyj4tt

Post by tonyj4tt »

i also got problem with IE and Firefox. it doesnt let me upload any video on youtube. it works fine with opera. whenever i try to upload it i get this error http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9297 ... rorbf4.jpg
i tried new profile and safe mode but doesnt work.
can you please help me out?
Thanks
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

tonyj4tt,

Since you previously started a new separate thread on your problem, please stay with that thread instead of asking for help in this one.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Guenzel wrote:I was starting to go more towards this being a flash issue, but that can't really be the case because Yahoo! videos use flash as well and it works just fine. I don't have any problems with embedded Yahoo! videos at all. No slow/stopping buffering, no choppiness, no need to move the cursor to keep the buffering going. Nothing like that.

I don't follow your logic here. If you are eliminating this as being a Flash issue because Yahoo videos work, then you would also have to eliminate Firefox, as you are using both Flash and Firefox on the Yahoo video site...with positive results.

I seem to have no problems with the flash videos on Youtube (I'm using Flash 9.0 r45). It's an odd one, but it is Flash and Youtube site related somehow*. Firefox is just acting as the 'Flash carrier' on that site. Certainly, if you haven't done so, be worth entering about:plugins in the urlbar and checking your Flash version.

*normally, I'd chase up the other possibles that Vanilla suggested, but in this case, the '2 seconds of play, then pause' that seems to be the constant that people have, I think is significant and indicates the site or Flash.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guenzel wrote:I was starting to go more towards this being a flash issue, but that can't really be the case because Yahoo! videos use flash as well and it works just fine. I don't have any problems with embedded Yahoo! videos at all.

What Frank Lion said. So it can't be Firefox either, can it? And since you have the same browser, the same security software, and the same Flash plugin for both Web sites, the problem can't be any of those, can it? I just tried it, and it works fine for me with Linux and Win 98SE. I think I tried XP yesterday. So the problem can't be Flash either, at least on any of those operating systems.

That leaves only one possibility. The problem must be you.

...Either that or the reasoning is wrong. How can I put this gently? I don't know what's wrong, but maybe it's worth just trying the suggestions? :)
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

VanillaMozilla wrote:What Frank Lion said. So it can't be Firefox either, can it? And since you have the same browser, the same security software, and the same Flash plugin for both Web sites, the problem can't be any of those, can it? I just tried it, and it works fine for me with Linux and Win 98SE. I think I tried XP yesterday. So the problem can't be Flash either, at least on any of those operating systems.

My point was that I keep being told to check my flash settings. If the flash works fine on Yahoo embedded videos with the same exact settings that I have with youtube, then I'm not sure how this could be just a "flash" problem. IE works fine for both Yahoo and youtube. Opera works fine for both Yahoo and youtube. Firefox doesn't work for youtube. What other possible conclusion can I come to other than that the problem is FF?

That leaves only one possibility. The problem must be you.

The problem is not me. The problem is Firefox. I'm not the only one having a problem here -this thread is now 6 pages long.

I don't know what's wrong, but maybe it's worth just trying the suggestions? :)

I've tried every thing I can think of. I'm really not sure how many times I have to post the same thing: I have tried every single suggestion put forth in this thread. I have followed every single suggestion relating to video problems that are pinned at the top of this forum. I have haunted the troubleshooting areas of youtube, MozillaZine, Adobe, and Google Videos. Again, it works just fine in Opera and IE.

I can appreciate the frustration you may have with all these complaints, but some of us here ARE listening to you and following your suggestions. They just aren't working for all of us.
Lenjia

I dont know why?

Post by Lenjia »

I posted in here about a week ago that I was having trouble with the U Tube thing. I have been monitoring it going to U Tube off and on since I posted in here. I can now watch the videos on U Tube with no problem. I didn't change anything, I didn't download anything, I didn't do anything to try and correct the problem, don't understand it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guenzel wrote: If the flash works fine on Yahoo embedded videos with the same exact settings that I have with youtube, then I'm not sure how this could be just a "flash" problem.

Just for your information, I think this is extraneous, and also erroneous reasoning. The two sites can't be serving the same kind of videos in exactly the same way, or you would get the same results. You can't conclude from that which link in the chain is to blame, unless you want to blame the Web site. This information is unfortunately not very useful.

Guenzel wrote:Opera works fine for both Yahoo and youtube. Firefox doesn't work for youtube. What other possible conclusion can I come to other than that the problem is FF?

It also appears from your previous posts that you actually have checked your Flash settings and your security software. This is helpful information, and it suggests that there could indeed be a problem with Firefox, although you should see Alice's post about making sure Firefox and Opera use the same Flash version. Just to be on the safe side, I'll ask an acquaintance at Mozilla whether they know anything about this, but I don't know if I'll find out anything.

<b>However, I can tell you that I have sometimes had somewhat similar experience with Opera. YouTube was halting, and it seemed like I had to do something with the mouse to keep the data coming in. For no particular reason I figured it was probably the Web site being busy.</b>
Without seeing your computer, I have no idea what your problem is. I can tell you that security software is notorious for holding up data, and it's also notorious for being very difficult and quirky to disable or even uninstall. If you want to check that again, the Knowledge Base has some hints. Search for firewalls, and follow the links for other security software.

<b>One other thing. It would help if everyone would please try to be brief and stick to the facts. There are a lot of posts here, and I had to sort through a lot of long, extraneous arguments to pick out a few pertinent facts.</b>
dixonge

Same problem

Post by dixonge »

OS X
MacBook
2GB RAM
Firefox 2.0.0.8
Firefox 2.0.0.12
Flock 1.0.8

Flash 9

Can not get past 2 seconds on ANY YouTube video.

Was having this same problem at work, again w/ Firefox on Windows XP - same 2-second pause.

Started just a few days ago.

Re: Same problem

Post by Guest »

dixonge wrote:OS X
MacBook
2GB RAM
Firefox 2.0.0.8
Firefox 2.0.0.12
Flock 1.0.8

Flash 9

Can not get past 2 seconds on ANY YouTube video.

Was having this same problem at work, again w/ Firefox on Windows XP - same 2-second pause.

Started just a few days ago.

i updated Firefox to 2.0.0.12 and the videos are now playing.

Same thing

Post by Guest »

WinXP SP2
1.9Ghz
768Mb ram

Started a couple weeks ago. After watching a few videos they suddenly stopped playing after 2 seconds and had no audio. I couldn't figure out the problem.

1. I cleared cache, but had no effect.
2. I restarted. Worked a very short while then began pausing after 2 secs.

Now a week later no online flash videos work.
Also Myspace music will not play.. at all. I don't know if it's related or not. But it seems ALL FLASH AUDIO/VIDEO IS FUBAR ON MY MACHINE.

So now I've tried this also..

3. Uninstalled flash using flash website uninstaller.
4. Checked to make sure it was the most current version of flash running.
5. Tried creating a new profile on Firefox.
6. Tried running Firefox in safemode.
7. Uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. It's up to date with the current version.

8.Ran virus scan.. Ccleaner.. just to say I did it.

None of this has done a thing.

Also I tried IE and flash is not playing video or audio in it either. I have not tried Opera yet. Maybe tonight.

I hope this helps someone, but I haven't found any answers yet.
It's really starting to piss me off.. grr haha
IgnesAndros

SOLUTION!

Post by IgnesAndros »

I had the same 2-second issue as the above poster. I figured out a way to fix it.

I went to everyone's good friend "OldVersion" and downloaded Flash Player 8. I didn't uninstall anything, just installed flash player 8 and when I ran Firefox again, all was as it should be in the flash video world.
http://www.oldversion.com/download.php? ... e29529573b
Alice

Post by Alice »

It was also reported in the Adobe Flash forum and the macromedia.players.flash newsgroup that the problem is with the current Flash version 9.0 r115 and that removing that version and installing Flash 9.0 r47 also works; however, this introduces security issues fixed in the current version. Here's a quote from the newsgroup:
Newsgroups: macromedia.players.flash
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:30:26 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: No sound, video stops playing after few seconds

Shancan Wrote: "FlashPlayer 9.0.115.0 is causing all sorts of playback
problems; doesn't matter which browser or platform. Try an earlier version of
Flashplayer like 9.0.47.0. and see if that helps. "

Finally an answer that works. Runnin 9.0.47.0 now and it seems to be ok.

I got the version 9.0.47.0 at the "Archived Flash Players available for
testing purposes" page:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=2

Extracted the .47 version and (after uninstalling all flash) ran the windows
installer. Seems to work fine in Firefox now.

I've chaged settings to keep Flash from updating unless I okay it Change your
flash settings by means of the following page:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger02.html

Shancan wrote:

"I don't know why Adobe still has the latest FlashPlayer 9.0.115.0 up
there...it's like Free Gas that causes your car to choke and not run right."

Agreed, except it's only cause trouble for me with Firefox, which is about 1/5
of the market (about a third in Europe), so it seems like it would be
thoroughly tested in Firefox.

Anyway thanks ShanCan. I won't upgrade Flash until absolutely necessary unless
they explicitly say they've fixed this issue.

Oh, there is probably some security issue with version 9.0.47.0, so use it at
your own risk.
Alice Wyman