Youtube videos pausing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

I don't have any tabs open -I don't use the tabs.
Quickdust

Post by Quickdust »

Same problem here, having it quite some thime Safari works fine for me and so does Internet Exporer,

But we're not here for those browsers. We want Firefox. Hopefully they find something soon.
Szakallas

Post by Szakallas »

Thank heavens I found this thread!

I got the same problem here: all videos on youtube stop after 2 seconds. I tried another video sharing site too- same thing happened there. I only have this problem in firefox, everything is runnin nice and fine in explorer. I tried reinstalling the flash player, this solved problems, but only until the first reboot. I am not a computer expert, but there doesn't seem to be any simple explanation for this (like bandwith problems, firewalls etc.). I have read through the thread here and found no good answer so far...
Such an annoying problem... Now how am I supposed to goof up at work? Any help is appreciated (either in killing time or sorting out the problem)
southsidered

Same here

Post by southsidered »

I also have this problem - embedded videos play for 2 seconds, then hang forever. Too bad, because watching YouTube videos is actually part of my job. Guess it's back to IE. So long Firefox, nice knowing you.
Szakallas

Post by Szakallas »

I m giving this a BUMP.
I would be interested in any professionals advice on this one (or particularly anyone elses).
pdxesto

Post by pdxesto »

I have 3 FF windows with a total of 33 tabs open. BUT... I have run Maxthon with a total of 6 windows with about 50 to 60 tabs open, and have had no trouble playing YouTube videos.'

Question: how do I find out what version of Adobe Flash/Shockwave I have? One way I have found some info is to go to "Add or Remove Programs" to see what's listed, but what's the "real" way to find out what I've got Adobe-wise? (btw, I see Adobe Flash Player 9 and Adobe Flash Player Plugin and Adobe Shockwave Player)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Southsidered,
<b>If you can't use Firefox, at least use something that's safe.</b> In May, 2007 security researchers visited Web sites under carefully controlled conditions, using IE 6, Opera, and Firefox 1.5. Here's what they wrote:

we did reinspect the highly malicious category of adult content comprising approximately 30,000 URLs. As shown in Figure 7, these input URLs that resulted in a 0.5735% of successful compromises of Internet Explorer 6 SP2 did not cause a single successful attack on Firefox 1.5.0 or Opera 8.0.0.

<b>So I forget where you all are in troubleshooting, but here is a little check list:</b>

1. Don't forget that videos will pause if the stream of data isn't coming in fast enough. This can happen more-or-less at random, if the Internet or YouTube gets busy. When you try the second time (maybe with a different browser!) the problem may be cleared.

2. Make sure you don't have more than one video going at a time.

3. If you haven't done so already, try it with a new profile. See my signature for details.

4. Make sure you don't have any sort of security software inspecting Web traffic or keeping an eye on Firefox's files. There are very many reports of security software doing this. There are also very many reports of security software still running when users were certain they had uninstalled it or deactivated it. Security software is not so easily disabled. Follow directions and consult the Knowlege Base about it.

5. Try it with Opera. If it works with Opera but not Firefox, then the problem is with Firefox. If this happens, please let us know and give us the complete details. If it doesn't work with Opera either, then you problem is with Flash, with the network, or with the Web site. Note that <i><b>IE uses a completely different version of Flash than Firefox and Opera.</b></i>

Post by Guest »

VanillaMozilla wrote:

<b>So I forget where you all are in troubleshooting, but here is a little check list:</b>

5. Try it with Opera. If it works with Opera but not Firefox, then the problem is with Firefox. If this happens, please let us know and give us the complete details. If it doesn't work with Opera either, then you problem is with Flash, with the network, or with the Web site. Note that <i><b>IE uses a completely different version of Flash than Firefox and Opera.</b></i>

I just did this - replicated my 3 FF windows with 33 tabs open in Opera (v9.25), and..... Opera freezes YouTube videos the same way that Firefox does!! Since the YouTube videos work flawlessly on IE and Maxthon (which uses the IE engine), I suspect that my network connection, firewalls, security sw, etc. are all fine. Which makes it look like Flash is the culprit. Does Adobe know about this Flash/Firefox problem? Is there anything that can be done to get Firefox to use the same version of Flash that IE uses?

Post by Guest »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Southsidered,
<b>If you can't use Firefox, at least use something that's safe.</b> In May, 2007 security researchers visited Web sites under carefully controlled conditions, using IE 6, Opera, and Firefox 1.5. Here's what they wrote:

we did reinspect the highly malicious category of adult content comprising approximately 30,000 URLs. As shown in Figure 7, these input URLs that resulted in a 0.5735% of successful compromises of Internet Explorer 6 SP2 did not cause a single successful attack on Firefox 1.5.0 or Opera 8.0.0.

1. Don't forget that videos will pause if the stream of data isn't coming in fast enough. This can happen more-or-less at random, if the Internet or YouTube gets busy. When you try the second time (maybe with a different browser!) the problem may be cleared.

2. Make sure you don't have more than one video going at a time.

3. If you haven't done so already, try it with a new profile. See my signature for details.

4. Make sure you don't have any sort of security software inspecting Web traffic or keeping an eye on Firefox's files. There are very many reports of security software doing this. There are also very many reports of security software still running when users were certain they had uninstalled it or deactivated it. Security software is not so easily disabled. Follow directions and consult the Knowlege Base about it.

1. Done (we are smarter then you think :D )
2. Done
3. New profile (no succes)
4. Uninstalled with Youruninstaller and then redownloaded (no succes)
5. I don't have Opera, but I don't know why Opera could help us understand this problem.

We are not very further then that we already know that the problem is within Firefox (or maybe Flash?). Not your internet, Not your pc, Not the site, The browser (aka the flashplayer).

Posible Fixes?
1. Install older flashplayer
2. ....
Melodeath

Post by Melodeath »

In regards to changing up the Opera test:

Does Safari use the same flash plugin as firefox? If so, Youtube videos were working in Safari at the same time that they weren't in Firefox. To be fair, I had 180 tabs open in FF, and only 1 in Safari.
pdxesto

Post by pdxesto »

Melodeath wrote:In regards to changing up the Opera test:

Does Safari use the same flash plugin as firefox? If so, Youtube videos were working in Safari at the same time that they weren't in Firefox. To be fair, I had 180 tabs open in FF, and only 1 in Safari.

My experience shows me that you need the same environment running in both testbeds. I now have 3 testbeds: Firefox, Opera and Netscape 7.2. Youtube videos freeze in all three browsers if I have a lot of windows and tabs open in each browser. I then shut down and restarted Opera and Netscape to have only one window/tab open for each browser. Youtube videos run fine now in each of those browsers. I still have Firefox running with 3 windows / 33 tabs, and youtube videos freeze. What I'd like to see next is if I leave Opera and Netscape running with one window/tab each, will the video freeze eventually show up.
pdxesto

Post by pdxesto »

Somewhat off topic: I found that by doing "about:plugins", I can see a bunch of details concerning the plugins Firefox is using. Looks like I'm running Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115 (the latest version).

BTW, anyone know what else can be added to "about:"? I know of "about:", "about:config", "about:plugins" and "about:mozilla". What else can be put after "about:"?
pdxesto

Post by pdxesto »

[I can't stop characterizing this problem...]

Interesting data point: Opera lists Shockwave Flash twice.

Once like this:

Shockwave Flash
application/x-shockwave-flash swf
application/futuresplash spl
C:\Program Files\Opera\program\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

Then like this:

Shockwave Flash
application/x-shockwave-flash swf
application/futuresplash spl
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll

Could these be fighting each other?

Post by Guest »

about:cache

see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Chrome_URLs for bookmarks
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Anonymous wrote:Opera freezes YouTube videos the same way that Firefox does!! Since the YouTube videos work flawlessly on IE and Maxthon (which uses the IE engine), I suspect that my network connection, firewalls, security sw, etc. are all fine. Which makes it look like Flash is the culprit.

It looks like it. Just make sure that those other tabs and windows are not sucking up too much CPU time. Just to complicate things, I have to tell you that YouTube works fine for me with Opera. (I never use Flash with Firefox, so I don't have to bother blocking it.)

Anonymous wrote:Does Adobe know about this Flash/Firefox problem? Is there anything that can be done to get Firefox to use the same version of Flash that IE uses?

IE does not use the plugin system that was developed by Netscape. Flash for IE is based on ActiveX controls. There is probably no chance that Firefox will ever use anything like that.

Would it help to see complaints on Adobe's Web site instead of Firefox's?

Causes Firefox/Opera to freeze
Search results from past few days

Other Flash problems with Safari and IE :lol:

Adobe Flash test
Adobe troubleshooting

One other thing. Someone mentioned Shockwave. <b>Shockwave is not Flash.</b>