Youtube videos pausing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jhtrico1850

Post by jhtrico1850 »

I hate this man............
Is there a bug filed?
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Donate your spare PC time to cure diseases!
Melodeath

Post by Melodeath »

Does Safari use the same flash plugin firefox does? How would I find out? At the moment, flash is hosed in Firefox, but working in IE and Safari.

OK, I just installed Opera, and flash is working in Opera as well. Looks like this is a firefox issue, event though I occasionally get the same type of problem in IE.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Melodeath wrote:I occasionally get the same type of problem in IE.

If you occasionally get the same problem, then it's an intermittent problem, and hard to diagnose. IE uses a totally different Flash plugin. The problem you have with IE is clearly not a Firefox problem. The problem you have with your TV is clearly not a Firefox problem. Something to do with your system or your connection. Sorry.

Opera and Firefox use the same Flash, although they could be using different versions, depending on how it happens to be set up. To find Flash for Firefox, type about:plugins in the URL address box. If you suspect a Firefox problem, a new profile will completely reset all Firefox options and disable extensions for testing, although it will not affect Flash and other plugins. Sorry, I don't have time to help you further.
Melodeath

Post by Melodeath »

I wasn't saying IE was a Firefox problem. I was saying my firefox problem appears to be a firefox problem. My TV is a separate issue, I was simply mentioning to perhaps spur some new ideas as to what the issue could be.

Both Firefox and Opera say they have 9.0.124.0 installed. Also, using about:plugins it seems they are using the same .dll file for flash

The fact that it works in Opera but not in Firefox sounds like a firefox problem.
carolyn56

Post by carolyn56 »

I tried all the suggested fixes, updating flash, running the flash fix file, etc. I'm using Vista, latest version of Firefox 2.0.0.14. When I ran Firefox Safemode with disabled addons, the videos would work fine. I decided to run Firefox normally and just start disabling each addon and trying to view the videos and still couldn't pinpoint which one was affecting the videos. The way I finally found out the one that did, was to run Firefox in Safemode again, disabling the addons permanently so they affected the regular Firefox program. I restarted Firefox normally and re-enabled each addon and then viewed a Youtube video. Once I got the pause problem, I found the addon - surprisingly it was Tab Mix Plus 0.3.6. I was rather surprised that until I disabled all of the adding using Firefox Safemode, turning off this addon did not appear to make any difference in running the videos. I've been able to view the videos since and it's been well over a week.
Carolyn
Melodeath

Post by Melodeath »

I am also using Tab Mix Plus 3.6

This is both good that you found the issue, and bad because I love TMP! haha
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Melodeath wrote:The fact that it works in Opera but not in Firefox sounds like a firefox problem.

This is possible. You have done your homework, and you should consider filing a bug report. The only problem is that you mentioned problems with IE and your TV, so it still sounds like you could have an intermittent problem that affects all of them. I can't easily judge that. If it works consistently well with Opera and consistently poorly with Firefox, then you have a documentable problem.

But first, you need to eliminate other possible causes if you have not already. You should try Firefox with a new profile to make sure the problem is not with an extension or in your setup. Safe mode disables extensions, but it doesn't reset everything. Also, make sure Firefox and Opera are connecting to the Internet in the same way. Same connection, no proxy, etc., or same proxy, if proxy is required. Also, make sure you do not have security software that is interfering. Security software, it seems, is constantly trying to scan, censor, or otherwise meddle with Internet content, scan caches, etc. It can be a big pain, and it doesn't necessarily work the same way with different browsers. If you have something choking the pipe, it doesn't matter how fast or well-behaved the software may be.
flamingkitties

Post by flamingkitties »

Apropos of nothing, ie: I've not changed anything at all, my Flash has now worked fine for about four days. I've done nothing to try and fix it since the last time I posted here. I don't expect it to last, in fact, by posting this I assume it will mean it messes up again within minutes.

I am aware this doesn't help you. But to be honest, I'd rather know what the problem was without it fixing itself overnight as well.
Melodeath

Post by Melodeath »

I created a new profile and flash worked for a bunch of videos. I started using my old profile again and flash is still working. I'll report back if the problem flares up again or doesn't. Oh, I also updated my audio card drivers, although that was between the time I stopped using the new profile and went back to the old.

Is it unreasonable to expect a browser to be able to handle a few Youtube tabs open?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Melodeath wrote:Is it unreasonable to expect a browser to be able to handle a few Youtube tabs open?

No, it works fine for me. But one other possible factor is if you have other pages open with scripts or Flash objects churning away, chewing up your CPU time over banner ads or some such nonsense.
jhtrico1850

Post by jhtrico1850 »

It usually bogs down after a little browsing. The pausing on Youtube extends to other flash video sites too...
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Donate your spare PC time to cure diseases!
flamingkitties

Post by flamingkitties »

After working fine for nearly a week (the computer is never fully off, it's probably only had one full shut down and no cache clearing since last Friday), it's back to its not-working ways. I'll see if installing Flash 8 helps, however, at some point that's going to affect content to, ie: content won't work. Why is something that should be simple being such a pain the arse?
Melodeath

Post by Melodeath »

do you use Tab Mix Plus?
flamingkitties

Post by flamingkitties »

I have Tabbrowser, or something.
CunninLynguists

I don't think its tabmixplus

Post by CunninLynguists »

I just disabled it, and am still having the problem