Youtube videos pausing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wabbit76

Post by wabbit76 »

Hi there,
Just found this thread, as I'm having the same problem. None of the suggestions here seem to work for this problem. All streaming videos start in Firefox, but playing stops after 2 seconds. If I scroll the video, it plays for another 2 seconds, then it stops again. I would point out, that these are flash based videos (from youtube or google video), so the problem may be with the flash player plugin for Firefox. Would be nice if you find a solution asap, as this is getting quite annoying. I have to start IE every time I want to watch a video.
I have Firefox 2.0.0.11, on Vista Ultimate 32bit.
wabbit76

Post by wabbit76 »

Ok, I seem to have found the solution. Reinstalled flash player plugin for Firefox, and videos are working now. So:
- The problem is with the flash plugin
- You have to reinstall it (first you have to exit firefox, or it won`t install)
pafindr

Re: Youtube videos pausing

Post by pafindr »

jones172 wrote:From Tom:

Sounds like you may be getting "choppy reception."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X ... on&spell=1

Question: What type of Internet connection do you have? Dial up? DSL? Cable modem? If you have a dial-up connection, then than is the problem. It won't put out bytes fast enough. The workaround is to download the video to your hard drive, then go back and view it. Or, if you can afford it, get a broadband connection.

Hope this helps.

Tom Jones

Nope I have cable and it's not happening in any other browser. Thanks though :)

wabbit76 wrote:Ok, I seem to have found the solution. Reinstalled flash player plugin for Firefox, and videos are working now. So:
- The problem is with the flash plugin
- You have to reinstall it (first you have to exit firefox, or it won`t install)

I'll try this and see what happens. :)
pafindr
wabbit76

Post by wabbit76 »

Update: after reinstalling the flash plugin, it was working. Next day, when I turned on my computer it wasn't. So forget about it, the solution I suggested is not working in the long term. Sorry, I have no other idea.

Now I'm using IE for playing youtube and other streaming videos.
mcbasb

Post by mcbasb »

I'm having the same problem as pafindr & wabbit76. Been having it for a few weeks now, and have tried similar things to what have been suggested, but nothing seems to work as wabbit76 says.

I also tend to leave FF, IE & Outlook on & just shut down to low-power mode when I stop using the comp daily, & start it up again the next day. I only completely shut down once every several days. That seemed to resolve the problem before, but this last time (yesterday) it didn't, Youtube still hung after 2s. On IE though, all videos work fine.

I suspect it's something to do with using Vista (I'm using Home Premium). But then again, I've used Vista since May last year & it all worked well for the 1st few months; this issue has appeared only since Nov-Dec (I think).

Anyone got any idea what's goin on? As the others have said, it really is quite irritating, cos i'd rather stick to FF for most of my browsing, incl. watching stuff, but am forced to use IE for the latter now ... sigh
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I would think of some security (AV) program with a bad memory that seems to forget settings and sometime denies access to the internet for plugins or just delays it long enough for the plugin to stop working by scanning received file content.
ushir

same problem

Post by ushir »

Hey guys

Im having the same problem

Flashed based videos play fine in IE, but in Firefox they usually start off working fine, and then at some point after alot of surfing the flash videos will get stuck at 2 seconds. Its usually fixed after a reboot but will eventually happen again.

It seems to be a recurring problem. I recall having this same problem before I formatted my laptop. So it seems to be something with firefox, or at least another application that is interfering with it. Which application it is, I am unsure. I am running Avast Virus Scan.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I suggest that you all try it with Opera. Opera uses the same Flash plugin as Firefox, but IE uses a totally different version. If the problem occurs with Opera, it must be due either to Flash itself or to the Web site. If it does not occur with Firefox, then there's a problem that can either be fixed or reported as a bug.
pafindr

Post by pafindr »

Ummmm yeah as I've stated a few times now I have no problems with IE or Opera... It is only happening with FireFox
pafindr
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I see you mentioned it once a week ago, but there are three or four of you. You all need to try this.

1. Create a new profile and try it. See my signature for details.

2. If that doesn't work, I suggest a clean start with new program files. (This won't affect your data.)

a. Download the current version of Firefox from www.mozilla.org .
b. Uninstall Firefox with Add/remove programs.
c. Reinstall <i>in a new folder (important).</i> You can do this by deleting or renaming the old folder if you want. The installation program also gives you an option of where to install.

3. If that doesn't work, I suggest you try Firefox 3, beta 2. http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/

4. If that doesn't work, I suggest that <i>one</i> of you file a bug report. bugzilla.mozilla.org . Be sure to make it concise, accurate and informative. Reference this thread.

...unless Dickvl has any more suggestions. His comments are usually right, so also pay careful attention to what he says.
pafindr

Post by pafindr »

Okay I'll try doing these things

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it :)
pafindr
Ram3gb

Post by Ram3gb »

I had the same problem with my IE. Installing http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download ... kwaveFlash solved the issue. May be it would work for Mozilla as well.
Keith Warner

Post by Keith Warner »

Just to add a little more to this potpourri, I find some YouTube and similar videos only keep playing if I keep my mouse moving. Wazzup with that?
Dell Latitude C600 /PentIIIE/1.0Ghz/10Gb/256Mb/WinXProSP2/FF20017&IE6
Zone Alarm Free / avast! 4.8 Free / Malwarebytes & SuperAntispyware
pafindr

Post by pafindr »

Okay I tried using a new profile but after a while the videos began pausing. So now I installed beta2 and I will see how it's goes.

Again thanks for your help
pafindr
pafindr

Post by pafindr »

Well beta 2 is also doing it so I'll send a bug report.
pafindr