Has anyone else been ripped off for $68.83 to download

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TheRingmaster

Post by TheRingmaster »

yeah this is a phishing site. DO NOT TRUST IT. you should NEVER pay for free and open-source software.
_/|__|\_ This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your
(=*-*=) signature to help him gain world domination!
("")_("") And win the battle against all bunnies!
Helico

Post by Helico »

It can of course be nice to donate money to support free open source development, but be very careful when doing this that you know what site you are on and who the money is going to. And it should always be clear that the software is free, and that the donating is not required to get it. If you aren't an expert at detecting phishing, just keep your money in your pocket.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Ummm, Dr Blood, Would you remove the slightly "offensive" word in your sig, please.
Thanks heaps matie.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I removed Dr Blood's sig since I had requested the same change 12 hours ago with no response...
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Image Thanks Daifne.
Almost a "one off'er".
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
alterna

Post by alterna »

Dr Blood wrote:Also most people who use Firefox know to go direct to Mozilla.com

That's the point. Those who hear of Firefox and want to try for the first time DON'T know.
Camouflage is meant to trap the unwary.
I realize they are not selling freeware, only their "service", but is there no way of controlling the use of the logo for profit?

ps here's another: http://www.firefox2.com/ that comes up on the first page of a Google search for "Firefox"
"So it goes" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

^ That one would seem legit to me since the downloads come from Mozilla. So I guess it's only a fan site.
alterna

Post by alterna »

Yeah, clicking opens a download dialog.
Sorry if I defamed an honest broker.
I saw the "This website is not associated with"...at the bottom, and, well, jumped > conclusion.
As said before.........Ooops
"So it goes" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
James

Post by James »

Though the firefox2.com/ site serves me the en-GB version for Linux by mistake when it would normally be en-US with my useragent.
dafla

I found this on HubPages too!

Post by dafla »

This guy is out posting all over the internet, in every conceivable forum. I flagged his post, with a link to this thread. Hope he gets what's coming to him. I also posted in the Hubpages forums, reminding everyone that everything about Mozilla is always free.
TEMP_ACC

Post by TEMP_ACC »

I'm a very proud supporter of Freeware but should i use the firefox's report website feature on the firefox 2008?
steviex

Post by steviex »

Yep. Also send an email via Hendrix to Mozilla.... http://feedback.mozilla.org/ The more the merrier...

Lets also keep talking about it here....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
disocuri

NT-SOFT-DLD.COM Scam

Post by disocuri »

This scam is operated by mySoftwareProvider.com. If you're interested in receiving "customer support" (for whatever the charge may be for the day) then be prepared to waste your money. They are not providing an valid service I can determine. To get you money back call the toll free number in the earlier thread. BUT they will keep 9.95 for processing your order and refunding the rest. How do you expect them to make any money??? I'm sure many have requested refunds. The terms and conditions at the bottom of the page on step three is a hyperlink expanding on the terms and conditions and this is where they get you...it doesn't look like a hyperlink so most won't look any further. They won't verify the email address before they charge your account so if you mistype...too bad.

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM.

Anyway, Take care.

Post by Guest »

While this is pretty common sense, but damn, really really really sucks for the person that actually gets fooled for paying $68.83 to download firefox...damn!
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

I don't mean to be unkind, but ALL of the google ads link to scam sites. From what i can tell, the Firefox scams have now been removed, but there still remains sites offering expensive spyware to "fix" or "speed up" XP and the like.

Google has a lot to answer for here IMHO.