2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Monkeyfister

2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

Post by Monkeyfister »

<b>Folks, there is a problem here.</b>

I am VERY careful about downloading ANYTHING to my machine. I actually READ the FAQs and "Known Bugs" lit that comes with every program that I put on my machine. I use the best Anti-Virus software.

Last month, I reported that immediately after updating to the latest FLASH version, that all embedded FLASH Media stopped playing properly on my machine. I scraped ALL media players off the machine, used the ADOBE FLASH Uninstaller to remove ALL FLASH from my machine.

I Uninstalled Firefox.

Rebooted.

Re-installed the latest Firefox.

Firefox told me to install the FLASH Plugin, via its drop-down menu.

I did.

YouTube/Embedded FLASH media STILL will not play. I SEE the player. There it is.

Click!

It plays video for two or three seconds with no sound, and then stops.

It continues loading, but nothing functions.

This is especially the case in tabbed browsing.

Using About:Plugins, I get only ONE heading for FLASH:

<b>Shockwave Flash</b>

File name: NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115

<b>MIME Type.................................Description.............Suffixes....... Enabled</b>
application/x-shockwave-flash....Adobe Flash movie........swf..............Yes
application/futuresplash..............FutureSplash movie.......spl..............Yes

<b>I followed all the advice provided to no end. I got so frustrated, and thinking that I had a bug in my machine I took drastic measures:

I scrubbed my entire machine. (re-formatted)</b>

Re-installed Windows XP, and all of the necessary, and some of the better optional XP updates.

I updated through .NET 3

Active X fully updated.

AMD processor updated.

NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT fully updated.

Installed Firefox-- with NOTHING ELSE on my machine EXCEPT for XP and above updates.

Used the <b>FLASH Plugin via the drop-down thingy provided by FIREFOX.</b>

With only ONE tab open in a SINGLE window, meaning: Open FIREFOX, click embedded video... Yep, it plays. Open TWO tabs, or another window... EVERYTHING stops playing.

YouTube video crashes... Plays video for 3 seconds with no audio-- and then stops... keeps on loading, will NEVER play.

FIREFOX Safe Mode... FAIL.

About:Plugins shows EXACTLY the same single heading as above.

Loaded in IE. YouTube and ALL embedded video works like a champ. Even with 6 tabs, and multiple windows with tabs open.

<b>Folks, this is a TOTALLY STRIPPED machine right now, with ONLY FIREFOX on it... plus IE and the XP, of course.</b>

What I am, and dozens of other users are trying to tell you is that this is either a FIREFOX problem OR a (latest) FLASH update problem.

Can we roll back the FLASH version to the LAST version that actually WORKED with FIREFOX until this incompatibility is identified and resolved?

Having to stop, open IE, drop the YouTube or whatever link into IE to view it is not only maddening, but it is GALLING. It MUST be a thorn in Mozilla's side by now.

I don't know if this forum is for/to the FIREFOX Developers, or just schleps like me, trying to simply USE this browser. For Pete's sake, if there is ONE Developer reading this, PLEASE listen to me, and Re-Read what I have presented here. I have been ABSOLUTELY thorough in my writing. I have NOTHING besides the XP updates, FIREFOX and IE on my machine, and would REALLY like to be able to get back to accessing the internet, sending email, writing open Office docs, and blogging again.

I HOPE my methodical approach will help the Developers to find the bug.

I HOPE my sacrifice of time, information and resources helps SOMEONE fix this.

It's either a FIREFOX issue or a FLASH issue. If it is a FLASH issue, then just roll-back the FLASH Plugin to the previous (working) version, and then address the real incompatibility problem. If it is a FIREFOX problem, then it is either in builds .11 or .12.

I really like FIREFOX-- it is fast (waaay faster than Safari), it's convenient (scrolling tabs is great-- make it so that it can scroll all the way through the first tab, and you've got a winner) and intuitive. But criminy-- not being able to access embedded media puts FIREFOX back in the virtual stone age, and I'm getting ready to drop it.

C'mon folks-- quit denying the issue. Quit trying to find a workaround... FIX IT.

I'm a devoted FIREFOX fan, but, my patience is now very thin. This isn't a Microsoft problem, this is YOUR problem. <b>Pick up the phone, call ADOBE, and work this bug out. </b>

You are about to start losing users and Market Share.

This problem is unacceptable.

Sincerely yours,

Tony B.
Monkeyfister
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

This problem is unacceptable.

This forum is users helping users.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

This is a user-to-user forum. However, if bugs are repeatable, this is a good place to confirm that.

My Flash files appear to be stored here (XP Pro SP2): C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
My NPSWF32.dll is version 9.0.115.0
My about:plugins looks the same as yours.

Everything works normally; I can hurt my ears with YouTube videos playing in two different tabs.

So maybe there is something else about your environment that we haven't thought of. Have you tried reducing your hardware acceleration level in Windows' Display settings?

If you want to install an older version of Firefox to see whether that fixes it, you can do so from the ftp site (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/). As for rolling back the Flash plugin, that's up to Adobe.

Edit: I run the NoScript extension. This can screen out certain problems on web sites with lots of external scripts by only allowing scripts from trusted domains to run. Not sure if this is having any effect on being able to play YouTube videos.
njinsa

Post by njinsa »

I am having the same problem! My player plays all movies for 5 seconds and then it stops. I can scroll through the video and when i let it play, it stops again after a few seconds. There is also no sound.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi njinsa:

As a diagnostic, try using a "clean" Firefox profile: Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base. If that works, then one of your extensions may be at fault, or a bad setting, or a corrupted settings/history file.

Also, try right-clicking the movie and lowering the Quality setting to Medium or Low.
truefrancesca

Post by truefrancesca »

I am very thankful for all helpful advice that the mozillaZine community has offered on this topic, both in this thread and in the other thread that covers it.

I am also aware that this is a user-to-user forum. But that aside, I think Monkeyfister is addressing the issue in exactly the way it should be.

The implications of this problem are so infuriating and inconvenient, and the problem itself is so widespread (you can even check adobe's own forum:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/ ... =y#4879322)
that it is the developers' (both Adobe and Mozilla) responsibility to get it fixed - and not oblige their users to aimlessly tinker about for work-arounds nor settle for second-rate performance!

Finally, I think it's reasonable to assume that Firefox developers check forums such as this to see what their users have to say about the program: both good things and bad. (In fact, I would question their commitment to product-improvement if they didn't!) Furthermore, given that Firefox is an open-source product, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the most helpful mozillaZine members turned out to be developers themselves! But I think the only way to really get this issue solved is to make our discomfort heard. If each of us takes just 2min to let Mozilla and Adobe know about this, then I think we'll soon be able to use both the latest Firefox (which we love) AND Flash player (which we need) at the same time - without tearing our hair out each time that little red bar reaches the 2-second mark!

=============================================================
Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/ind ... product=17
Suggested text (feel free to Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V):

******BUG******
Concise problem statement:
When using Adobe Macromedia Flash Player 9,0,115,0 in conjunction with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12, the player will randomly choose not to play beyond the first two seconds of a clip even though it continues to load the full clip. During the first two seconds that do get played, the player fails to play any sound. The only way to return to normal performance is by restarting the computer. However, this solution is temporary and inconvenient, and the bug will inevitably re-emerge at a later stage.

Steps to reproduce bug:
1.Download and use both Adobe Macromedia Flash Player 9,0,115,0 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12.
2. Watch Youtube videos for hours(/days/weeks ... you never know when it will strike).
3. When the bug does strike, restart the computer and repeat steps 1 and 2.

Results:
The player will choose, at random intervals, not to be able to play beyond the first two seconds of a clip even though it continues to load the full clip. During the first two seconds that do get played, the player fails to play any sound.

Expected results:
That the player plays the clip from start to finish without halting (except to load) and that sound is always audible where applicable.
Mozilla Firefox End-user Support: support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org
Suggested text (feel free to Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V):

When using Adobe Macromedia Flash Player 9,0,115,0 in conjunction with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12, the player will randomly choose not to play beyond the first two seconds of a clip, even though it continues to load the full clip. During the first two seconds that do get played, the player fails to play any sound. The only way to return to normal performance is by restarting the computer. However, this solution is temporary and inconvenient, and the bug will inevitably re-emerge at a later stage. Who you please be so kind as to provide a software update that fixes this problem?

Thanks everyone! I wish us all good luck!
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

truefrancesca wrote:Steps to reproduce bug:
1. Download and use both Adobe Macromedia Flash Player 9,0,115,0 and Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12.
2. Watch Youtube videos for hours(/days/weeks ... you never know when it will strike).
3. When the bug does strike, restart the computer and repeat steps 1 and 2.

Uh-oh, developer productivity may be plunging soon. :-p
NFLnut

Re: 2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

Post by NFLnut »

Monkeyfister wrote:It plays video for two or three seconds with no sound, and then stops.

It continues loading, but nothing functions.

I have had this exact problem for a month now. Everything (FLASH) is installed properly, and yet anything FLASH will only play two or three seconds and stops. The video keeps loading, as I can see the progress bar still moving, but the video will only start playing if I manually click the progress bar and move the PLAY slider. Then it will play for another two or three seconds and stop again.

Since this is happening to several users, it really needs to be fixed!
NFLnut

Post by NFLnut »

I just uninstalled FLASH 9.0.115 (or whatsitsname) and installed FLASH 9.47 and videos play close to normal now, albeit with the usual jumpiness that I've come to expect of FLASH videos.
salcan

Post by salcan »

NFLnut wrote:I just uninstalled FLASH 9.0.115 (or whatsitsname) and installed FLASH 9.47 and videos play close to normal now, albeit with the usual jumpiness that I've come to expect of FLASH videos.

just did the same things. It looks like the only fix, at least for the time being...
Mamunia

Post by Mamunia »

NFLnut wrote:I just uninstalled FLASH 9.0.115 (or whatsitsname) and installed FLASH 9.47 and videos play close to normal now, albeit with the usual jumpiness that I've come to expect of FLASH videos.

Me too.
Same problem, same fix (previous version of Flash Player).
It was very frustrating, but fortunately I found this forum. Thanks!

Ciao! :)
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

I've had problems with this ever since I started with FF about 4 months ago. I have tried every fix under the sun. Using older versions of flash doesn't work. This will only be fixed when FF and Adobe put their heads together and fix it. In almost every other area, FF is perfect (for me anyway), but this problem with Flash is just getting beyond stupid. Two of my friends got FF too. Same exact problem. They've tried everything as well, and it will not work.

I can watch, for example, youtube vids directly on the youtube site with very little problem. But as soon as I run across an embedded youtube video, FF's memory usage shoots sky-high and the embedded videos stop every 2 seconds unless I am constantly moving my cursor. If I don't keep moving the cursor, and the video is stopped for too long, the video progress bar goes nuts zipping back and forth, and the video will not restart. I can watch Yahoo! regular and embedded videos with no problems at all. No memory spike, no stopping and starting, etc. If I'm on the CNN website, I have the same problem there that I do with youtube embedded videos.
deleteaccount9

Post by deleteaccount9 »

I have used Internet Explorer for years, but it has become painfully slow and is getting worse despite disabling all plug-ins. Firefox is so much faster so recently installed it, but have suffered with the embedded flash content since first installing it. I too have tried just about everything to get flash content to work, but have come to the conclusion that Flash Player 9.0.115.0 is simply not compatible with the latest Firefox version.

The two problems I have is:-

1. Flash video plays but there is no audio.
2. Flash video loads but only plays the first 2 or 3 seconds before it freezes.

These problems do not exist within Internet Explorer. The difficulty now is that I cannot find an older version of Flash Player to download. Adobe only promotes version 9.0.115.0 on its website, and despite searching on the web, I cannot find version 9.0.047.0.

So does anyone know where to get hold of an older version of the Flash Player?
deleteaccount9

Post by deleteaccount9 »

Further to my previous post above, I have found a site that has the older version of Flash Player - 9.0.047.0. Here it is:-

http://www.oldapps.com/Macromedia_Flash_Player.htm

This fix certainly does work, and now all the Flash video and audio plays perfectly in Firefox. Make sure you completely remove the latest version of Flash Player by following Adobe's instructions here:-

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=2
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=1
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

KlingonBatleth wrote:
This fix certainly does work, and now all the Flash video and audio plays perfectly in Firefox. Make sure you completely remove the latest version of Flash Player by following Adobe's instructions here:-

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=2
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=1

This fix did not work for me. I completely uninstalled all previous versions of flash, and have tried 3 older versions, one at a time. It did not work, nor has it worked for the 2 people I have suggested it to. I'm glad it does work for some, though. :)