2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wader2k

Re: 2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

Post by wader2k »

Guest wrote:^ How do you know it's a Firefox problem? Seems like a Flash problem to me.

That could very well be, however, the reality is that NO other browser has demonstrated this problem......and if it isn't fixed soon FF will be losing some users. I'd say that FF and Adobe need to get together and fix this. Mozilla does not seem to want to admit that the problem even EXISTS and that is what is starting to really grind.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

To people who have the problem of videos stopping after 2 seconds: if the other remedies do not work for you, try the Flash 10 player, which is in beta. It is available from the Adobe Labs download site here: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html.
frosty is a snowman

Post by frosty is a snowman »

I have already tried the beta and it doesn't fix the issue for me (plus older versions)
I never had any problems with FF2, but since using FF3 I have had a problem with the flash plugin being recognised
Flash works fine on IE7 and Safari 3.1.2 (for windows)

it is a weird one as content on youtube for eg. play fine, but sites like skysports state that I need to install Flash player
and videos on facebook fail to play, even though they come direct from youtube
I know extra code could be causing the issue when obtaining the file from youtube, but the Flash content simply fails to load

It looks like I am starting to shift over to Safari as my browser of choice and thats a shame as I have used FF for a long time
I might be forced to go back to FF2 until this issue is resolved
frosty is a snowman

Post by frosty is a snowman »

I have just uninstalled FF3 and installed FF 2.0.0.16 with Flash 10 Beta (I didn't bother going back to 9)
everything works fine again, content plays on facebook, skysports recognises the flash plugin etc.

so this is an issue with FF3 and the compat. with Flash

Atleast thats the issue I get and how I have resolved it.
I will wait a while until a new version of FF3 is released before I upgrade again.
Ab Be

Post by Ab Be »

I had this problem, googled it extensively, tried almost every proposed solution.

Recently I followed Adobe advice, and it has solved the issue.
SEE BELOW for Adobe's STEP-BY-STEP LINKS TO DETAILS
IF YOU DO THIS, PAY ATTENTION TO THESE POINTS
- close all open apps with any calls to Flash;
- use Adobe's MOST RECENT Flash uninstall tool (version 04/08/2008) from the command prompt,
- do not just run the uninstall exe; BE SURE to run it with the switch to /clean
- reboot
- install Flash 10 beta 2 for both FF extension and IE ActiveX.

NOTE
- After I did the above, YouTube volume control (sound slider on website) defaulted to bottom position ('zero' position);
- I raised volume, YouTube audio works normally.

Issue - for now - has disappeared.
No idea if resolution is part of Flash 10, or just a (momentary) side-effect of removal and reinstall.

Related Adobe Flash Links
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flas ... ml#install
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=2
http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
Fixed!

Post by Fixed! »

I was about to post use the cli.

drive location of the executable:\uninstall_flash_player.exe /clean

But having read the last post i see you have it corrected. Another sad thing with adobe site is for those that need to verify flash works. There is no quick link to the verify page :( It's been like that for as long as i can remember, like they don't care about the end users. You can find it by navigating through the Q&A :(

Also was about to suggest if you have any flash blocking software. I have noscript which via it's options it can enable or disable flash content. Maybe firefox options there is similar i cannot remember.
wader2k

Post by wader2k »

You might want to note that this is only for ubuntu.....not Win Xp

Post by Guest »

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of people frustrated by the Firefox vs. Flash nonsense. Like many of you I was using the most recent versions of FF and Flash on Vista. Problem seemed to when I downloaded that last Firefox update. Once the issue begins it also impacts IE for me so I was dead in the water until I rebooted.

I very much appreciate the suggestions I've found here. We'll see if it works.
fxfan313

Post by fxfan313 »

I don't know how plugins work so this might be completely ignorant: In Firefox, I am using Flash v10 (beta), which at least allows me to view videos on YouTube, blogs, and in fact most sites. But I can't get videos on cnn.com to play. So I opened cnn.com in IE and installed the current Flash, v.9. All videos, regardless of host, now play fine in IE. So is it okay to run Flash 9 in IE while running v10 in FF? Or am I setting myself up for a conflict?

I guess I am also saying that, so far, I have had no problems viewing videos in IE using Flash 9, while results in FireFox 3 are inconsistent and require Flash v10. Add my vote for getting the developers to fix this FF3/Flash problem.
mumbaindude

Post by mumbaindude »

I too have been having this problem of selective flash playing. Some sites work and some don't. YouTube doesn't for one. Neither did the Nokia site (India portal). I have been using Flash 9.

Following the advice above, I am about to use Ab Be's advice and install Flash 10 Beta. I hope for the best!

FIREFOX IS THE BEST... or was until this unexpected glitch! I never EVER found anything to complain about until now... Please guys at Mozilla, please fix this problem asap as it affects web browsing A LOT!!!

On the side... I just wanna offer my two cents... Many, many thanks to you for your wonderful browser, I will always have it as my "Default Browser"! Come what may!!! :o)
e2c

Post by e2c »

I'm experiencing the same glitch - in FF *only* - now that Adobe has released its latest version of Flash 9.

What a mess! Please, please fix the bugs.

Post by Guest »

One of the more annoying bugs.
beltzner

Post by beltzner »

Hello everyone. I know that this is a frustrating issue, and I can't imagine what it would be like to not have my YouTube videos, so please believe me when I say that we are indeed taking this problem seriously. Our QA team (full time and volunteer) have been trying to get the problem to reproduce in a debugger so we can trace it through Firefox to try and localize the problem to our plugin architecture or Adobe's plugin, but we actually haven't been able to reproduce the problem at all.

Based on reports from several people indicating that installing Adobe Flash 10 Beta solves the issue, I'm tempted to say that Adobe might have a better idea of the fix, but the truth is that when dealing with plugin architecture, it's hard for us to know if the problem is in how we're firing events for the plugin to consume or how the plugin is consuming those events.

At any rate: I wanted to say that there's a lot of evident frustration, and we are working on the issue. If anyone from Adobe is reading this thread as well, please chime in here (or in the bug) with any information you might have.
Mike Beltzner / Director of Firefox Development / beltzner@mozilla.com

Post by Guest »

It is possible that there are several ways to create the glitch on different systems. But I know that in my personal experience, it only happens when the number of total flash videos amongst the Firefox tabs is greater than fifteen. This has held true on both my Dell PC w/ Windows XP, and my HP Laptop w/ Windows Vista. FYI: I don't know if fifteen is truly the upper limit, since on rare occasion the browser seems to survive, so maybe it's more like the point where the overall likelihood of trouble shoots up dramatically.

SOLUTION: Avoid loading any web pages that contain more than 15 videos, and be careful about having too many tabs opened because for example... if you've got one tab with 12 flash vids and 8 additional tabs with 1 flash video each, the cumulative total will exceed 15 and nothing will play.

FOR DEBUGGERS: Here's an example of a web page that's extremely flash-heavy and likely to cause a freeze-up glitch. http://my.barackobama.com/page/communit ... maroadblog

Today is August 31st, 2008, and as of right now, the "Obama Road Blog" page currently has 22 embedded flash objects (a mixture of flickr slide shows and youtube videos). If that flash-heavy blog is the only tab in my firefox browser and I wait for it to completely load, I'll run up against the flash glitch and the videos won't play for longer than 2 seconds. All of the flickr slide shows appear to count towards the fifteen flash items max, but the flicker slide shows themselves are completely immune to the freezing issues; Only the 11 or so youtube videos freeze. So if you created a test webpage with 21 flickr slide shows, and 1 youtube video, all the slide shows should theoretically play great, and just the youtube videos would lock up. That's my hypothesis. Anyway, good luck with resolving this strange freezing up glitch. I'm gonna use the 15 video max as my "RULE OF THUMB" until this freezing problem gets properly debugged.