2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Maxim_311

Re: 2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

Post by Maxim_311 »

I have the beta version of flash 10 and I still have issues. I can watch youtube videos at youtube fine. But when it comes to embedded videos and such I just get a empty blank space. So I don't know what the issue is. All I know is I didn't have it in the previous version of firefox.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Maxim_311 wrote:I have the beta version of flash 10 and I still have issues. I can watch youtube videos at youtube fine. But when it comes to embedded videos and such I just get a empty blank space.

Could be third party (other domain) script/image/ad blocking through a Firefox add-on or security software. See whether you can unblock the video and then whether you have the problem described in this thread (stops after 2 seconds, no audio, etc.).

As a starting point, you could try the problem site in Safe Mode or in a new profile.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

For external security software that filters third party images/scripts/objects, check in the UI or documentation for more info.
wader2k

Post by wader2k »

Wow....I have been putting up with this bug for several months now......and am SICK of it. I have to reboot every other time I bring up slacker (internet radio) or youtube/embedded vids. Almost 4-5 times per hour tonite I have had to reboot firefox....somtimes the whole operating system. This needs to be fixed!!
ptrahan

Post by ptrahan »

Has anyone noticed whether or not the problem is related to the number of embedded videos in the web page? I ask because I was building web pages with embedded players in them and discovered that my players worked until I had 15 videos embedded in the page. I did find one other account of someone who noticed this phenomenon. I also noticed that the problem went away on FF 1 versions with Flash 8.
wader2k

Post by wader2k »

ptrahan wrote:Has anyone noticed whether or not the problem is related to the number of embedded videos in the web page? I ask because I was building web pages with embedded players in them and discovered that my players worked until I had 15 videos embedded in the page. I did find one other account of someone who noticed this phenomenon. I also noticed that the problem went away on FF 1 versions with Flash 8.

could be ....I read guitar forums where people often post lots of clips....
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

For more information concerning this issue, have a look at this thread dealing with FF3/ using too much CPU:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=697135
It seems that Firefox and Adobe Flash Player just do not get along very well.

Apparently this was also an issue with FF2.

Adobe and Mozilla: Are you listening?
wader2k

Post by wader2k »

bluejay wrote:For more information concerning this issue, have a look at this thread dealing with FF3/ using too much CPU:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=697135
It seems that Firefox and Adobe Flash Player just do not get along very well.

Apparently this was also an issue with FF2.

Adobe and Mozilla: Are you listening?

yup.....happens with both ff2 and ff3

My workaround at the moment when this happens is to use the "view in ie tab" extension.....This switches rendering engine to IE and the clips then play smoothly.....without having to reboot FF and/or PC.....
This is an incompatibility between FF and Adobe Flash......

Ditto on the" are you listening"
Foul

Post by Foul »

I had that problem until I removed SWF catcher.

Post by Guest »

The problem seems to occur more often if you have lots of tabs open. If you close your all your tabs and restart Firefox, the YouTube page would work again. Maybe a culmination of Flash objects from the other tabs affects the Flash video? Strange that this problem never happened to me in FF2 but then again, the high memory usage would force me to restart anyways.
ptrahan

Post by ptrahan »

Could the problem be coming from some incompatibility between the FF plugin for Adobe 9 and certain older flash players? I have noticed that if you are using FF Flash plugin version 9 and you have (certain) older players open somewhere, it will cause any other (working) players to freeze. For me, the problem ONLY seems to arise when using the Flash v9 plugin while trying to view a web page with multiple older players embedded.

Again, I have a web page with multiple JW media players embedded and they work with the Flash 8 plugin, but not the flash 9 plugin. Unfortunately, a lot of websites require version 9. Strangely, with the Flash v9 plugin installed, the sites that work fine for me will break as soon as I open a page with the older players embedded. As soon as I close that page, the other players work again. It seems like the older players have a problem "sharing." It seems as if they are reaching a limit of some sort because, again, I notice that everything breaks when a page reaches 15 of these older players. Interestingly, the number 15 is an important one in programming as I believe it is the maximum number of digits a 4-bit data structure can hold. Could this be caused by some 4-bit data structure somewhere reaching a limit and crashing?

Post by Guest »

The problem seems to involve allocation of resources within FF when using Adobe Flash 9. I had no problems with embedded videos on FF until I downloaded the latest Adobe update. Now I have the freezing/no sound problems that everyone else has mentioned. This happens when I have multiple tabs open, which is all of the time in normal usage. I have found, however, that with only the main browser window open, and no other tabs, embedded video loads and plays with sound just fine. It's not an ideal solution but it works (at least for me) until FF and Adobe work out their compatibility issue.
AlyssaLeigh

Post by AlyssaLeigh »

im having this same issue as soon as i upgraded to the latest Flash it stopped working, i didnt realize i even upgraded as it seemingly auto updated and i tried different versions to no avail and new profiles etc.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_fo ... tId=106257

im not sure should i have two flash files in my Add/Remove programs list?

1. Adobe Flashplayer Active X (v9.0.124.0)

2. Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0

thanks all
James

Post by James »

The ActiveX version may be for IE as modern browsers like Firefox does not use/support ActiveX.
Asidhowz

Post by Asidhowz »

so in plain English.. whats the solution? besides having to restart either windows or firefox..
this is happening to me about 6-7 times an hour, and the problem has been there a Good few Months..
Firefox to me has always been great, but its starting to show some serious problems..

Post by Guest »

^ How do you know it's a Firefox problem? Seems like a Flash problem to me.