2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
yoism

Post by yoism »

We summarized the conclusions from this thread and from other discussions of this issue from other forums on the Internet with the temporary (admittedly not fully satisfactory) workaround here: http://www.yoism. org/?q=node/152#flash You can follow the directions and download the necessary files from that page.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

LoudNoise wrote:Note: Use FilesForFixingFlashProblem.zip from the above page with great care if at all. A guest posting a helpful executable file is likely to be bad news.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Urbane.Tiger

Post by Urbane.Tiger »

Not my territory but has anyone tried Flash 10, I know there's a beta out that works with IE7, not sure about IE8 or Fx 2.0.0.14. What about Fx3, does the problem manifest in it.

It's often better to confront the future than to hanker over the past.
bender29

Post by bender29 »

In order for this problem to get fixed, the bug must be owned by some party. Of course no one wants to own up to it being their fault.

I guess part of the problem is that the problem is so ill-defined. Without knowing the real problem behavior, other people don't know if they're seeing the same thing, or something different. Similarly, it's hard to tell if "solution to flash problem" will apply to their problem or not.

So, to that end, I've tried to detail the exact effects of this problem in this other post.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=665668
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Bender29. If you would have bother to read the post above yours you would know that Flash 10 fixes the problem. It is in beta. The party was identified many weeks ago and has a fix in the beta.

i
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
bender29

Re:

Post by bender29 »

LoudNoise wrote:Bender29. If you would have bother to read the post above yours you would know that Flash 10 fixes the problem. It is in beta. The party was identified many weeks ago and has a fix in the beta.
i

Loudnoise - The only recent post above mine talking about flash 10 is the one by viking.warrior. Nowhere in that post does it say the problem is fixed.

But, if as you say, there is a fix in the flash 10 beta, then please point me to that information. My Adobe support contact has no such information and believes Firefox to be the problem.

A fix, of course, means that Adobe has a verified bug report, and steps to reproduce the issue in order to verify any fix.
kdring

Re: 2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

Post by kdring »

To echo what bender29 said, there is nothing in any above message that indicates Flash Player 10 solves the problem. And yes, for the record, I am experiencing the same problem. I have to use IE to watch YouTube and other such videos.
loudenvier

Post by loudenvier »

Well, Opera works fine too! I'm having this problem with Firefox 3... Very annoying, should never have passed QA.
Pokedude24

Post by Pokedude24 »

I'd just like to turn everyone's attention to the following link at Bugzilla -- Mozilla's own bug reporting site:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436686

That link is to my own bug report of this incredibly annoying issue you've all been discussing. A few developers have requested info (but none have suggested a fix) and a few users have commented saying that they are having the same problem as me and all of you. I'd love it if all of you commented there as well, because I'm sure the more comments we get, the more chance there is of developers getting to it... anyway, please go check it out. I've mentioned this thread repeatedly there.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Pokedude24 wrote:I'd just like to turn everyone's attention to the following link at Bugzilla -- Mozilla's own bug reporting site:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436686

That link is to my own bug report of this incredibly annoying issue you've all been discussing. A few developers have requested info (but none have suggested a fix) and a few users have commented saying that they are having the same problem as me and all of you. I'd love it if all of you commented there as well, because I'm sure the more comments we get, the more chance there is of developers getting to it... anyway, please go check it out. I've mentioned this thread repeatedly there.

If you want something fixed DO NOT SPAM THE BUG!!! Bugzilla is not a dumping ground for begging/me-to's/and fix it soon's. The devs' do not like 'noise' in the bug. If you don't have anything constructive ( STR = Steps to Reproduce) a solid testcase, or a patch, then don't say anything.
Pokedude24

Post by Pokedude24 »

Littlemutt wrote:
Pokedude24 wrote:I'd just like to turn everyone's attention to the following link at Bugzilla -- Mozilla's own bug reporting site:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436686">https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436686</a><!-- m -->

If you want something fixed DO NOT SPAM THE BUG!!! Bugzilla is not a dumping ground for begging/me-to's/and fix it soon's. The devs' do not like 'noise' in the bug. If you don't have anything constructive ( STR = Steps to Reproduce) a solid testcase, or a patch, then don't say anything.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense... listen to the mutt! :]
yoism

Post by yoism »

LoudNoise wrote:
LoudNoise wrote:Note: Use FilesForFixingFlashProblem.zip from the above page with great care if at all. A guest posting a helpful executable file is likely to be bad news.

I understand LoudNoise's concerns about downloading and using the files I posted here ( http://www.yoism. org/?q=node/152#flash) to provide a temporary fix for this problem. However, for what it is worth, the files I put in the zip file were all downloaded directly from Adobe. I renamed them to something that would give the user a clue as to their function, but otherwise I did not change them. The solution works but has some drawbacks. All of this is discussed on that page.
athesfl

Post by athesfl »

Hey just wanted to say thanks for the info in the download: http://www.yoism. org/?q=node/152#flash - I had installed Firefox as my default browser then had to go back to IE, and could not get flash to download no matter what i tried. But that worked - thanks!
mjm716

Post by mjm716 »

yes, same problem here - the only thing I've found that fixes it is to reinstall the Flash plug-in every damn session after a reboot ... super practical right?

FF 3's stability is seriously a step backwards in my experience so far.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

mjm716 - This isn't a v 3 issue. The topic started before 3.0 was released. Download the beta version of Flash (10). Problem solved.

Please start a new thread for your other v3 problems.

By the way everyone, the athesfl June 30th post was made using I.E. 7 . It is almost certainly a pimping post. Don't go to that link
Post wrangler