2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

Guenzel wrote:
This fix did not work for me. I completely uninstalled all previous versions of flash, and have tried 3 older versions, one at a time. It did not work, nor has it worked for the 2 people I have suggested it to. I'm glad it does work for some, though. :)

I take it that you have tried the suggestions on these pages:-

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Video_or_audio_does_not_play

I did download the MediaWrap add-on for Firefox to try and make sure all embedded media worked, together with making sure QuickTime has not taken over from the Flash Player plugin. Other than this, I don't know what else to suggest. There certainly is a compatibility issue between Firefox and Flash which needs to be sorted promptly. I wonder if the next version of Firefox might address this issue?
Guenzel

Post by Guenzel »

Anonymous wrote:
I take it that you have tried the suggestions on these pages:-

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Video_or_audio_does_not_play

I did download the MediaWrap add-on for Firefox to try and make sure all embedded media worked, together with making sure QuickTime has not taken over from the Flash Player plugin. Other than this, I don't know what else to suggest. There certainly is a compatibility issue between Firefox and Flash which needs to be sorted promptly. I wonder if the next version of Firefox might address this issue?

Yes, I've practically committed those pages to memory hehe. The MediaWrap seems to help with the memory spike, but that's it. I am, however, continually finding new quirks with embedded videos. As I said before, the video won't play unless I am continuously moving my cursor. Basically what's happening is that some embedded videos are not buffering. If I don't move my cursor around, the video stops buffering after about 2 seconds, which is why it stops playing. However, about 5 minutes ago a discovered that if I press play, then pause the video right away and then <b>minimize the window the embedded youtube video is on</b>, it buffers on its own at a fairly fast rate. I have no idea why it's doing that, but I'm hoping that by posting details like this, it will help developers figure out what's going on so that it can be fixed.
JBFrenchhorn

Re: 2nd Time With This: Firefox Stops Embedded Flash Media

Post by JBFrenchhorn »

NFLnut wrote:
Monkeyfister wrote:It plays video for two or three seconds with no sound, and then stops.

It continues loading, but nothing functions.

I have had this exact problem for a month now. Everything (FLASH) is installed properly, and yet anything FLASH will only play two or three seconds and stops. The video keeps loading, as I can see the progress bar still moving, but the video will only start playing if I manually click the progress bar and move the PLAY slider. Then it will play for another two or three seconds and stop again.

Since this is happening to several users, it really needs to be fixed!

I have this problem too. I found this thread at this forum because I did a Google search for some of the problem's characteristics. The problem occurs with Youtube, Godtube, and other videos. The problem does not occur all the time however. Videos usually work. The problem strikes on random occasions, such as right now.
lurker8

Frustrating that Mozilla has not addressed this more clearly

Post by lurker8 »

Has Mozilla openly addressed this problem at all? I haven't seen it. I've had the exact same problem.

In case any Mozilla developers don't believe this is a problem: I have a PhD from MIT (albeit Course XV), and have been teaching microcomputing and networking systems since 1983 (in English and French, in the US and abroad), doing some coding myself (C++, Java, SQL).

There. Is. A. Compatibility. Problem. Between. Firefox. And. Recent. Flash. OK?

We are not imagining this, it is not some simple problem of anti-virus conflicts, or cookies, or optioins, or updating to a newer plug-in. The problem IS Flash's plug-in compatibility with Firefox.

I don't really care who says the problem is on Firefox's end or Flash's end, OK? That's YOUR problem and Adobe's, not your users.

I just want to know that you are aware of the problem and devoting resources to it. In the space of a few minutes a Google search turns up dozens of posts about this problem, all over the Internet. Many posts go into great detail about the system used, the plug-ins installed, the conditions under which the error occurs. We are not imagining this. You don't need more details from users in order to find out there is a problem, nor to debug it. Mozilla and Flash programs need to sit down in a "war-room" and not leave until the problem is solved.
bakerboy523

Post by bakerboy523 »

I also want to say that this is happening to me in FF AND IE so I guess I'm really screwed because I can't watch videos on either browser.
JBFrenchhorn

Post by JBFrenchhorn »

I might have had the problem in IE before, too, but I can't remember. But I definitely have it occasionally in Firefox. Is there anyone else who just experiences the problem on rare occasions? (See my post above for details.)
blueguitarbob2

FF - Flash stalling happening to me also

Post by blueguitarbob2 »

I also have all the symptoms described here. I have the latest release versions of FF and Flash (Win XP), and after FF has been active for a while, it stops playing Flash videos correctly. They play for a few seconds then stall, and there is no sound. I have been resorting to opening the page in IE to view videos, but I will try downgrading the flash plugin.

Flash was working perfectly with the same browser setup (list of plugins). I THINK it started happening shortly after I upgraded the flash plugin, but I can't be sure. I am sure, however, that the only thing that changed to make it start happening was the flash player upgrade.
BlackFeather

Don't have to restart computer to play videos again...

Post by BlackFeather »

I've had the same symptoms for a month or so now. Upgrading flash to 9,0,124,0 didn't resolve the problem. One post in this thread suggested that it might be a conflict with an extension. I found that by temporarily disabling the DOM inspector or Firebug, I was able to play videos through without freezing. Note, though, that disabling extensions requires firefox to be restarted: So, it may have more to do with restarting firefox than with the extensions. This is probably true, since the videos continued to play fine after I re-enabled both extensions. I find its handy to have firefox save my session on closing, so that I can re-open firefox with all my tabs in place.
Endtro

Ditto

Post by Endtro »

Best bet, and easiest I can see, is simply to download the IE plugin for firefox until the next update.
I hate having IE on my PC so I scrapped that a long time ago. And I am also having the exact same problems as everyone else here.
anony surf

SAME PROBLEM HERE & more...

Post by anony surf »

got the same problem here and doesn't have sound for my computer....

NOT ONLY NO SOUND WHEN PLAYING FLASH.... I tried to play movie and listen to my mp3 and so on...

My audio is gone...

does that happened to any of your computer too? or only when playing flash videos?
IER

firefox video quits

Post by IER »

This is so annoying. The video quits. Then sometimes, after a tweak, it'll work for a few minutes, then it quits again when you try another video.

I've tried Beta 3, still doesn't work. I think I've tried every imaginable tweak -- the only one that works is using Internet Explorer instead!
c00kie_monster

Re: firefox video quits

Post by c00kie_monster »

This has happened a couple of times to me now as well and is EXTREMELY annoying. My solution was to just run the java unistaller linked on another forum:

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_fo ... &forumId=1

But instead of running the installer also linked here, just run firefox without java and force it to download the plugin. This seemed to work for me. Hope this helps.
Donkey Boy

Found the NPSWF32.dll fix to work

Post by Donkey Boy »

However, the file will randomly disappear and I have to go find it again from system32 and put it back in firefox plugins. Anyone know a way to keep it from poofing?
quant

same problem

Post by quant »

I have the same problem. After I updated to latest flash, the video stops at random places (after that the video starts from beginning). It is soooo annoying. Found this thread to see if others are having similar problem and how they go about it ...
gheemedia

installing older flash player works for me too

Post by gheemedia »

+1
firefox 3 beta 5, reverted from newest flash player on windows xp sp2