Zango Spyware Found Just as Mozilla Fiefox Updated...

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RandomGuest

Zango Spyware Found Just as Mozilla Fiefox Updated...

Post by RandomGuest »

While I was rebooting and Mozilla was installing its latest updates (3/28/08), at the exact same time, AOL safety and security seemed to find Zango. I have not been going to any dangerous webpages, and I find the timing too strange.
RandomGuestAgain

Post by RandomGuestAgain »

Should also let you know that on Mozilla I do have no script and ad block running
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Where was Zango? If it was it the cache don't worry about it. It cannot be ran from there. Second question. Where did you download Firefox from? If it was from one of the ads you see all over the net then it might have been a download from a malware site.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
RandomGuestOnceAgain

Post by RandomGuestOnceAgain »

<<<Where was Zango? If it was it the cache don't worry about it. It cannot be ran from there.>>>

Don't know honestly, AOL Safety and Security just said that it had been found.

<<<Second>>>

Mozilla.org is where I downloaded it from about a year ago, it has been updating itself ever since
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Assuming that the AOL stuff is any good you should be safe. Remove Zango if you haven't already.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
RandomGuest

Post by RandomGuest »

Can't seem to find the program files on the computer, I assume it is gone, but with these things you never know...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

It is fairly old adware. You could download SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition (link not handy and at work) and run a scan.
Post wrangler
VanillaMozilla

Re: Zango Spyware Found Just as Mozilla Fiefox Updated...

Post by VanillaMozilla »

RandomGuest wrote:While I was rebooting and Mozilla was installing its latest updates...

On a slightly different note, I hope you did not actually restart your computer when you were asked to restart Firefox. It's not necessary to restart the computer, and it can actually lead to corrupted files that mess up the browser. ("Reboot" means "restart the computer".)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

AOL safety and security seemed to find Zango.
If that program doesn't tell you exactly where that supposed sighting is located (the complete folder path), I'd dump that program and get something that's more user friendly. You don't have to use it just because your ISP gives it to you for free (if that is the case).

2nd - I doubt if that is really a true AOL program (considering they just dumped their famous browser), probably re-branded from a company that's not well-known by itself. You should inquire as to the source of that program so you know who you're trusting your safety to.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Extensions are updated when a new Firefox version is installed. What extensions do you have installed?
James

Post by James »

I say it was either found in the Cache (harmless there) or a false positive as virus scanners have made the mistake of claiming of spyware found after a Firefox update before. Mozilla has never served spyware with an update as they too much to loose by doing this. There have been no proof of spyware in any of the official builds from Mozilla and will continue that way.