Major Problem: "Firefox... not responding" Message

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
anne_blythe

Re: Major Problem: "Firefox... not responding" Message

Post by anne_blythe »

As in its not working perfectly. i still get the "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."
BUT i just ignore it and try to open ff again and it does all bookmarks intact. So not a big pain anymore.
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

I've isolated this problem to be PicLens; I was even able to find other Web sites (quite a few, actually) that has a bunch of people quitting PicLens due to this issue. Thanks, everyone, for the help!
schapel

Post by schapel »

Thanks for the feedback. I've added the problem to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
Klow

Post by Klow »

This problem should be fixed in an update, it's really annoying. I encountered this problem a couple of times (and not that more) and now that I installed FF3 it happens several times a day. So it has something to do with Firefox, and nothing else. It's really, really annoying, and I don't want to downgrade to FF2. (and I don't have PicLens) Please do something fellas!
schapel

Post by schapel »

Do you read http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs and follow the suggestions there?
Klow

Post by Klow »

Thanks but I'm not qualified for this; it's quite complicated. Why wouldn't it be fixed for everyone in an update?... Think about the people who doesn't know a thing about computing.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Klow wrote:Why wouldn't it be fixed for everyone in an update?

Because updates can fix bugs in the code, but not corruption of data in your profile.
Stifu

Post by Stifu »

teoli2003 wrote:Because updates can fix bugs in the code, but not corruption of data in your profile.

Thinking about it... Why not?
A series of tests could be done on the user profile (automatically on the first launch after update, manually somewhere in the menu, or through an extension), and it could detect which parts of the profile have erroneous data, and propose to fix/reset them.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Klow wrote:Thanks but I'm not qualified for this; it's quite complicated. Why wouldn't it be fixed for everyone in an update?... Think about the people who doesn't know a thing about computing.

Unfortunately, all sorts of things can cause Firefox to hang, from bad Windows settings to installing buggy extensions to interactions with antivirus programs. Think about all the people who don't know about cars who get someone else to do maintenance on and repair their cars. If you cannot maintain or fix your computer, consider finding someone else to help you. I helped users with their computers for $10 an hour when I was in school. Anyway, you should be asking your questions in a support forum, as Firefox 3.0 has been released. You can try official Firefox support http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Fir ... +Home+Page
SilentResident

Post by SilentResident »

I got the same bug. :(

THIS BUG COMES WITH MOZILLA FIREFOX 3, I'M SURE. :-k

Its very annoying! Thanks to god I know how to open Task Manager at all, otherwise i should had kick and uninstalled this new version of Firefox and install my dear old Firefox 2.0.

If I close Firefox 3 and run it again, i get a message that Firefox is... already running!!!
I was wondering why i get the message as I see no Firefox Windows opened already on my screen.

By having all of the program's windows already closed and that I cant run Firefox again due to the bug, the only way to solve this is to enter Task Manager, and close from here the Firefox.exe you find still (and strangely) to be running in the background...

In 7 years of PC working and few years of Firefox's use on my computer, i never got any bug like that, until i updated Firefox 2.0 to Firefox 3. :(
Klow

Post by Klow »

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that. I don't want to destroy my profile folder. I just click the X button normally like I everyone does with every program and bang it happens.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Have either of you tired safe mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode The OP reported that an extension was causing the problem. If that is the same problem you folks are having then it is very easy to just get rid of the extension.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Klow

Post by Klow »

It doesn't happen when I'm careful, just like when a mosquito bothers you, it stops moving when you try to kill it, so it's hard to find what extension is doing it. Maybe you know?...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The dealio toolbar would be a suspect. Since Piclens was the thing that started this I would remove it if you have it. Other then that, without a list of what you have I could not have a clue.
Last edited by LoudNoise on August 1st, 2008, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Klow

Post by Klow »

I know the Dealo toolbar thing and I know how to can get rid of it. And I don't have Piclens...