Major Problem: "Firefox... not responding" Message

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hassled

Re: Major Problem: "Firefox... not responding" Message

Post by hassled »

hi guys, thanks for posting all this, cos I thought I was doing something wrong. I reverted back to IE now too after having used FF for years and really liking it.

Looks like my problem might have started when I installed skype and the skype extension appeared. Can't seem to get rid of it now, uninstalling and re-installing didn't work, and the constant rebooting was driving me nuts too, so I had to go back to IE.

Hope Mozilla finds the solution soon. Perhaps someone can set up a website where we can enter our email address, so we can be emailed when the new working version of FF is ready.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Try this:
From the KB
Files that store information about the extensions you have installed can sometimes be corrupted. Deleting them can fix a number of extension issues; they will be regenerated the next time you start Firefox. . Exit Firefox completely, then open your Firefox profile folder (read the linked article for its location) and delete* these three files:

extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf

To find your profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Restart and see if you can uninstall skype then.

BTW, this is a problem with an extension. It is not up to Mozilla to find a solution.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
hassled

Post by hassled »

ok, problem might not have started when I installed skype - might just have been when I noticed it.

Firefox 3.0 with no extensions now, still gives same error, which requires me to reboot to release the memory. I'll stick with IE until this problem is fixed.
schapel

Post by schapel »

You should try all the suggestions at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
Creating a new profile is just one of the suggestions.
If you still think it's a bug in Firefox, please give specific instructions for how to reproduce the problem.
hassled

Post by hassled »

hi non-believers of this genuine problem,

I think there are are enough people with different configurations but with the same firefox problem for mozilla to look into it. If mozilla doesn't want to, that's it's choice. In the meantime, I choose to just use IE. I really can't spend any more time on this problem.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

We think you have a genuine problem. However, you have not given us any indication that you have followed the suggestions in the link in Schapel's post.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
hassled

Post by hassled »

my journey began here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=773255
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Your point? Have you tried anything in this KB article? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
Post wrangler
hassled

Post by hassled »

yes. I've decided to remove FF, and keep all the other programs that it conflicts with, and just use IE.
schapel

Post by schapel »

hassled wrote:yes. I've decided to remove FF, and keep all the other programs that it conflicts with, and just use IE.

Great. Then you have no need to come back here again. I'm glad you've made a choice that you're happy with, and I hope all continues to go well with your choice of browser.
nothassledanymore

Post by nothassledanymore »

schapel, and now read the first post by MaStAViC. If you want everyone to remove FF then that's fine. If you want everyone out in internet land saying FF is a pile of crap because it doesn't work with anything, then that's fine. But do you really want people saying that?
schapel

Post by schapel »

Oh noes! Oh, please don't do that! I'll fix it right away, I promise!

Seriously, what response do you expect? If you want a problem to be fixed, all you need to do is explain how we could see the problem, and we can file a bug report. As it is, extremely few people see a problem. Those that do see a problem generally are able to fix it by following the instructions on the page we keep pointing you to. Why not give it a try, as it's almost certainly not a bug in Firefox you're experiencing, but a problem on your computer that you must fix.

BTW, it's common for people to claim that Firefox's usage or reputation will be significantly damaged by some serious bug that's been recently introduced. It happens with nearly every minor bugfix release. It's never come to pass. It's a scare tactic that has never worked.

For an interesting read, go back and look at the second post by MaStAViC.
SUpachipz

Post by SUpachipz »

I too am having this problem with FF3. I never expirienced it with any of the previous FF versions, but AM expiriencing it with FF3 every time I shut it down! I've tried disabling Piclens so will see if that works but i've had no problems before and in my eyes this is a FF3 issue!
schapel

Post by schapel »

Have you tried anything else in this KB article? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
truck

Post by truck »

FWIW - Lots of "not responding" problems, with vista.
I found some help with tweaking, including turning off some services.
Firefox 2.0.0.16 is working well, now, as are other applications.