Firefox 3 Won't Start

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
donsmith

Re: Firefox 3 Won't Start

Post by donsmith »

Dear LoudNoise. Thanks for your replies. I started with a very new install. Completely uninstalled previous versions of Firefox and any other Mozilla related program. Deleted all remnants of previous profiles as well. I'm a hardcore FF2 user till today.

I'm on XP (32bit) and have SP3 with all the latest updates. I'm using Symantec Client Firewall version 8.7.4.97. My guess it something else is conflicting with it, not the firewall. I'm home but I travel quite a bit and had similar problems before on the beta versions of FF3.

Network Demi-God, I'd try using it's own directory if I thought it would help, but I think it won't ONLY because I'm also had trouble with other Mozilla related programs, namely the latest version of Miro. I'm suspect of the latest version of XUL.DLL (1.9.x).
donsmith

Post by donsmith »

... and safemode does not work.

Post by Guest »

I'm having similar issues. I'm running a Lenovo T60 with XP SP3.
I can install FF v2.0.14 without any problems. Could not update to FF3,
The run time error was that xul.dll was not installed.

The install log has "Error Registering accessiblemarshal.dll"

I uniinstalled FF, removed the profile, installation directory, all registry references and all the addons. tried again with the same result and same error message in the install log.

Tried installed FF2 again. It works without a hitch. Downloaded the zip version of FF3 extracted it to a directory. it works fine.
OS Xer

Post by OS Xer »

Firefox 3 will not start for me. Totally fresh install, all old versions and files deleted. Running OS X 10.4.11 .
donsmith

Post by donsmith »

Guest (if that's your real name). I have the exact same Lenovo with XP SP3. Do you work for IBM too? Searching my HD for related apps. IBM has tons of XUL related apps running/installed, including some modules of Notes and SameTime.
Just looking for help

Post by Just looking for help »

donsmith wrote:Network Demi-God, I'd try using it's own directory if I thought it would help, but I think it won't ONLY because I'm also had trouble with other Mozilla related programs, namely the latest version of Miro. I'm suspect of the latest version of XUL.DLL (1.9.x).

Dude, my FF3 launching problem is actually Mozilla-wide, too; same exact thing happened with the new version of Camino I just downloaded. Maybe it's a recent problem they're putting into all their builds of all their programs?
KenIngle

Post by KenIngle »

I was having the same problems as everyone on here. But I seemed to get it working, see below.

My setup/issues:

- On 32-bit XP SP2/SP3 [2 machines] that previously had latest Firefox working on it
- Did a complete uninstall, including removing everything under the Application Data / Profile
- Deleted the <PROGRAMFILESFOLDER>\Mozilla Firefox
- Tried installing to a different folder (e.g., C:\Firefox) as Network Demi-God suggested @3:19p... no luck
- tried -safe-mode (crash)
- tried -profileManager (crash after deleting/creating profiles... no luck with offline mode, either)

So Guest @4:27p mentioned:

> The install log has "Error Registering accessiblemarshal.dll"

I looked at my install.log (should be under the installation folder), but it said that mine successfully registered. Hmm... maybe it was bad?

So I:
1) Opened up a cmd.exe prompt (Start | Run... "cmd.exe" <enter>)
2) changed directory to the installation folder (cd /d C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox)
3) Unregistered the DLL: regsvr32 /u AccessibleMarshall.dll
4) Launched Firefox, "firefox.exe," from the command line *without* parameters such as -safe-mode or -profileManager
5) Watched Firefox 3 come up... YAY!!

Well, I'm not sure if this will work for everyone on 32-bit XP that is seeing continuous crashing, perhaps installing to a different folder like Network Demi-God suggested will do the trick for some. Or doing some squirrelly things with the profile as others have mentioned. But it seems to be fine for me, after unregistering the DLL (note: I did not re-register it, i.e., I did not "regsvr32 AccessibleMarshall.dll").

Hope this helps,

-- Ken
donsmith

Post by donsmith »

Ken,

Thanks but that didn't help me either. I can't find anything about AccessibleMarshall.dll in the logs or in the system at all.

--don
halp me !

Post by halp me ! »

I am hainvg the same problem... I see firefox trying to load in the task manager but nothing... It keeps jumping in memory usage from the 20,00k all the way up to 76,000k I am running Windowx xp sp3 and AVG Free
guest77

Post by guest77 »

Same here. It starts... when it begins loading the homepage (google.com) it crashes....
guest110010010101

Post by guest110010010101 »

I've done everything listed here too and nothing works, except 2.0.0.14.
guest77

Post by guest77 »

I created a new profile as suggested in this thread. Same result! FF3 still crashes. I cannot run it. What is happening?!?!? HELP!!!!!
guest78

Post by guest78 »

I need HELP TOO!!! HELP!!!!!!!!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guys, read this:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Upg ... +Firefox+3
Your questions are covered there.
Egidio

Post by Egidio »

Just looking for help wrote:Dude, my FF3 launching problem is actually Mozilla-wide, too; same exact thing happened with the new version of Camino I just downloaded. Maybe it's a recent problem they're putting into all their builds of all their programs?

That is very odd indeed. I use FF and Camino in three different Macs. Have no problems at all opening them. All are very stable.

Egídio
Mac OS X [10.6.4]