Firefox 3 Won't Start

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ron79

Re: Firefox 3 Won't Start

Post by ron79 »

Does anyone know where i can get firefox 2.0?
ron79

Post by ron79 »

It works for me now I did a search for "firefox" and deleted folders from "application data" and "local settings" in my "home directory" (Thats usually the folder with your name).
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

ron79 wrote:It works for me now I did a search for "firefox" and deleted folders from "application data" and "local settings" in my "home directory" (Thats usually the folder with your name).

You also deleted all your bookmarks, passwords, etc. If that's what's intended, great. But usually it's safer to rename it instead of deleting it. You forced Firefox to create a new profile, which resets EVERYTHING in your configuration. If you don't delete the old profile, you can always go back. Another way is to use the Profile Manager. Search the Knowledge Base for profiles to repair the damage. You're on your own. Sorry, I can't help further.
1bloke

Post by 1bloke »

Network Demi-God wrote:I hope this works for the rest of you, I found a solution that worked for me.

I simply installed Firefox 3 in it's own directory, ex: C:\Firefox 3\ instead of C:\Firefox\

Or, better yet, uninstall Firefox and delete or rename the folder that is left behind (C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox). For me, there were several activeX plugins left over. A fresh install in the default directory will then work.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

1bloke wrote:For me, there were several activeX plugins left over. A fresh install in the default directory will then work.

Worth mentioning. Amazing.
jimlink

Post by jimlink »

How can you create a new profile if Firefox won't start?? This seems like a Catch 22 situation to me.
I'm on XP Professional. I uninstalled Firefox, did a clean install of 3.0, now nothing happens when I click the icon.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Make sure you are using the right icon to start it.

Profiles:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles or
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Pro ... ur_profile or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
Follow the directions and make sure you point to the right Firefox file. The Profile Manager starts before Firefox starts.
El Guappo

Post by El Guappo »

Damn, this is lame. I'm no n00b, but I just cant get this browser working - I've spent a couple hours trying because this is supposed to be the one browser to rule them all. Well, it doesnt seem so great to me.
F##k it - I'll stick w/ IE until FF can get a stable product out.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

El Guappo,
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Bas ... ting_steps
Just create a new profile with the Profile Manager. If that doesn't solve the problem, uninstall and reinstall in a new folder. It takes a few minutes.

And do be sure to use the right icon. If you have an old icon sitting around somewhere pointing to an old version, that wouldn't work.

I assume you mean it won't start at all. If it starts and looks normal except that you can't view Web sites, you have a firewall problem. In that case, you need to fix your security software. That is NOT a Firefox problem. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls .
mollask

Post by mollask »

FF3 Errors out every time I attempt to load. I'm on a brand spanking new Core2Duo with XP, behind a firewall. I remote over to it, but even when I log directly into the box, I can't get it to run. I've downloaded FF3 about 5 times using iGetter and just the browser. I've downloaded using IE6 and FF2. I've downloaded while being remoted in and directly logged into the desktop. I've done a couple of system restores, and reload, but to no avail. I've un-installed FF including removing all plugins and everything connected to FF. Still won't turn on.
yuey

Post by yuey »

right i also had a problem with firefox 3, my soloution is to disable shapeshifter if your using it. i tried and tried to start but it kept crashing , butas soon as i turned of shapeshifter it worked first time.

so no i gotta live with standard looking mac interface till they sort it!
donsmith

Post by donsmith »

All,

I appreciate the help, but I'm sure it's not a profile or a firewall issue. I've tried all those workarounds mentioned above (well before posting here mind you) and they don't matter, my FF3 goes straight to Mozilla Crash Reporter even with a clean install and the firewall turned off. I can't even open a local HTML file. I'm 95% sure XUL v1.9 is conflicting with something on my system, because other XUL (namely Miro) related related programs also craps out. Miro even has a xul.dll 1.9.xxx specific error.

--don
charplat

Post by charplat »

I had the same problem outlined above...Firefox 3 would not start and it was not a profile issue. This was a problem on just one of three computers, and a comparison found that Google Desktop was only installed on the offending computer. Uninstalled Google Desktop and Firefox works fine now.

Note: I had already uninstalled Firefox 3 prior to uninstalling Google Desktop, so I don't know if you can uninstall Google Desktop without removing Firefox 3 and still have it work.
frustrated81

Post by frustrated81 »

I've had the same problem , couldnt install the beta, reported it. Guess they ignored it, because I have the same probelm with FF3.
guest77

Post by guest77 »

I tried all the solutions today... Nothing worked... I deleted everything and went back to FF2...
I do not have any of the add-ons or plugins that people above have said they needed to delete to make FF3 work... mine never worked period... it crashed (not a firewall issue)...