MozillaZine

Get old location bar behavior back?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Maupin

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 11:23 am

I just downloaded the newest Firefox 3.0 and noticed that the location bar at the top of the screen is no longer working as it did in previous versions.

If I type a letter it shows me urls (and titles??) of pages where that letter occurs anywhere, not just at the beginning. In about:config I tried changing browser.urlbar.matchBehavior to 2 but that still matches letters and letter combinations on the end of words in titles. (Quite useless in my opinion.) For example, if I type "s" I see Something Awful (ok) and CBS News (uh, what?).

How can I get the old behavior back? I just want to see addresses (this is the location bar, after all) beginning with the letter sequence I've typed, not site titles that contain the letter sequence in the middle or end. The old behavior with an easily scanned list worked very well.

sanitystream

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 11:38 am

I agree! I HATE the way Firefox 3 does it now!

Old way:

I would type "www.google.com" and it would begin to auto-complete based on prior visits to any websites that started with "www.g" then "www.go" then "www.goo", etc.

Now, it looks for "g" in all of my bookmarks, which I DON'T WANT OR NEED. In fact, it doesn't appear to be using my browsing history for auto-complete.

Instead, I get a lot of useless links that have nothing to do with what I want. This HAS to be fixed. I'm probably going back to version 2 until it is.

swizzle23

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 12:26 pm

2.0.0.14 here I come, thankfully I still have the setup. Thanks for forcing a new "feature" on us Mozilla, and for giving no way to disable it without losing auto-complete all together. Maybe I'll try 3.0.1 if you decide to fix this, otherwise 2.0.0.14 does everything I need it to.

swizzle23

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 12:29 pm

And before someone says it, I've Google and tried the about:config tweaks. One of them disables auto-complete all together and the other seems to have no effect even after closing and reopening the browser. And the idea of having to install a separate add-on just to get it to work the way it used to in 2.0.0.14 is ridiculous to me.

southdeltan

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 12:42 pm

I agree. Hell, I can't even find a website with the oldbar extension that works.

LoudNoise

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

southdeltan

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:23 pm

LoudNoise wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3438765#p3438765

I tried that well before I posted. The first change doesn't appear to do anything even after restarting. The 2nd change doesn't change the behaviour, just the number of items displayed.

That is NOT a fix.

I can't imagine why anybody finds this to be awesome - there should be an option to turn this off because I hate it. I'll go back to FF 2.xx or IE.

I found oldbar and installed it and it doesn't fix it perfectly either. I very much want my addressbar to keep my most recently visited pages in the order they were visited. Now it's pulling bookmarks and stuff I stumbled past and didn't even read.

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:24 pm

sorry but that solution isn't helping, i also want the old way back...

a;skdjfajf;ak

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Steezy Man

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:26 pm

It worked perfect for me. I have nothing showing up as I type in the address bar. Not sure why it's not working for you.

southdeltan

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:28 pm

Steezy Man wrote:It worked perfect for me. I have nothing showing up as I type in the address bar. Not sure why it's not working for you.

Which worked for you? The changes to config or the oldbar extension?

sanitystream

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:29 pm

Steezy Man wrote:It worked perfect for me. I have nothing showing up as I type in the address bar. Not sure why it's not working for you.

That's not what we're talking about. We WANT something to show up -- we want any website we've already visited that matches what we're currently typing (just like in Firefox 2). We do NOT want our bookmarks showing up.

Sigh. I re-installed 3.0 to try this fix. Going back to 2...
Last edited by sanitystream on June 17th, 2008, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steezy

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:33 pm

southdeltan wrote:

Which worked for you? The changes to config or the oldbar extension?

The config. And yeah all I wanted was to remove anything coming up as I typed in the address bar, in other words the predictive links and the bookmarks.

sanitystream

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:35 pm

Littlemutt wrote:Have a look at this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7429

That add-on doesn't help either. It removes ALL auto-complete, which isn't what I want. I want it to auto-complete only the websites I've visited.

This was an amazingly stupid "upgrade" they've made to 3.0

vOidSenses

Post Posted June 17th, 2008, 1:38 pm

and to think they call it the "awesome bar"

it would be awesome if you could choose...

now i type g and i get as first suggestion rlslog -_-
should i type "search engine"? uhmmm.. no, that takes me to torrentz
goddammit i just want to go to google please

what a pain in the @$$

i'm already considering to rollback
Last edited by vOidSenses on June 17th, 2008, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Firefox Support