Stop Firefox opening links in new window

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SimmonsJ2K

Post by SimmonsJ2K »

Do you have any other extensions installed? TBE and Optimoz Mouse gestures are know to have Issues with TBP.
soydog

Post by soydog »

Nope. Just 3 extensions: Tab X 0.2, Toolbar Enhancements 0.11, QuickNote 0.55
SimmonsJ2K

Post by SimmonsJ2K »

I'd try a clean reinstal, keep your profile, reinstall all extensions.

OR

I believe you can also create a new profile by deleting the old profile folder (if you have no profiles, it just makes a new one), but make sure you back up your bookmarks first
Mr David
Location: RJLH–2.5 pints of beer in 11sec, University College, Oxford, 1955

Post by Mr David »

How do you save a profile?
I have learned from my mistakes and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
SimmonsJ2K

Post by SimmonsJ2K »

I don't know bout the files, all I can tell you specificaly how to save on OS X is you can go into the bookmarks manager and export your bookmarks to a HTML file (Bookmarks -> Manage bookmarks -> File -> Export..), then after you get a new profile created, do the reverse, go into the bookmarks manager and import the file you created before.

In XP the files I save from profile to profile are below, I don't know what the equivelents might be in OS X

signons.txt
key3.db
user.js (if exists)
prefs.js
bookmarks.html
Chrome\userChrome.css (if exists)
Chrome\userContent.css (if exists)
soydog

Post by soydog »

Ok. I did a clean install with the latest nightly with creating a completely new profile as well. The first thing I did was to install the latest version (0.5) of Tabbrowser Preferences. It installed right away without giving the option to install it to the profile, just like last time. I then quit FireFox and restarted it. It opened a blank window instead of loading the home page. The browser wouldn't respond.

So I can confirm that Tabbrowser Preferences is not compatible with any of the nightly builds of FireFox on OS X.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. The only thing I want is for links from external application to open in a new tab instead of a new window. There are 2 extensions floating around called Window-Q and This Window but Window-Q is only for opening javascript windows, as far as I know and I don't think This Window opens links in a new tab, but force opens everything in the current window. But I could be wrong since I haven't tried either...
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Code: Select all

/* Block new windows from opening, open new tabs on middleclick
 * and open URLs in the current tab
 */
user_pref("browser.block.target_new_window", true);
user_pref("browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick", true);
user_pref("browser.tabs.opentabfor.urlbar", false);

Add this to your user.js until TBP is fixed on OS X.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618

Post by Guest »

Thanks for that suggestion but it still didn't work. Clicking on a link from my mail application still opens a new window. I put the user.js in the profile folder where prefs.js resides. Does it by any chance need to be in another folder like chrome? It still doesn't seem like it would work since I've already tried the same thing user.js does using about:config and it still didn't work.
soydog

Post by soydog »

TheOneKEA, that last post was me responding to your user.js suggestion, by the way.