Hotmail Reverted To Classic With Firefox 3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
harveypot

Re: Hotmail Reverted To Classic With Firefox 3

Post by harveypot »

I've been more than happy with Firefox 3.0 thus far.... I just wish Hotmail would sort out this minor glitch....
magoood

Post by magoood »

nixxxon wrote:Me too. I'm reverting back to Firefox 2!
There's just too many issues with Firefox 3 at this Beta stage.

WAIT! don't do that :mrgreen: - They should upgrade their site to support FF3! not us downgrade
Nour

Post by Nour »

Hi every one

i tried to use IE tabs
and added http://*.mail.live.com/* to the Sites Filter
and it worded :)

i think Microsoft intended to do this, for a marketing reason :)
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Nour wrote:i think Microsoft intended to do this, for a marketing reason :)

No, I don't think so. Hotmail is no more the only big player there. There is quite a lot of others companies fighting for the webmail free market. To give a worse experience to 20% (world-wide, 30% europe) people is bad marketing.

It is only that the coding wasn't done at first to be the more standard compliant. The original requirement was probably "to work with IE" and the requirement "to work with Firefox" was added lately. That is also why it do not work with some others browsers.

To rewrite all tools, all website is long. And not everybody inside MS has yet understood the new non-monopoly world of web-browsing.

Microsoft has already started to react!

Post by Guest »

If you download the Firefox Add-On called IE Tab, you can open a tab of Hotmail in Full Version, it emulates IE in Firefox.
monkey912

Post by monkey912 »

Have you tried setting the user agent to the value that IE uses? ( At least one time they had sent 'broken' css files unless your agent was set to IE - don't know if that's the issue here. )
monkey
m1scha.m

Post by m1scha.m »

I'm surprised how people cannot accept that Microsoft makes no attempt to keep up with other organisations software advances, yet organisations such as Mozilla attempt to keep up with Microsoft's.

These complaints would be better served up to Microsoft, after all they are the ones who's software is out of date.

Oh yes, Microsoft doesn't care. The more people use alternate software, such as Firefox, the more Microsoft will be reminded that people expect better products, and more prompt bug fixes.
nojanoid

Post by nojanoid »

I think saying that "Microsoft doesn't care" is an arrogant statement. They're a company, the consumer matters; its basic business rules. The life cycle of a stable product is quite long; and to cater for a bigger market [1] makes it an interesting problem. They care all right, it's just there is so much 'garbage' to filter out.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar ... b_browsers
Efxmaster

Post by Efxmaster »

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Hot ... +Firefox+3

Hotmail full version does not work in Firefox 3

Firefox 3 currently doesn't work with Hotmail's full version. If you try to access it, you will receive the message "You are temporarily on the classic version of Windows Live Hotmail due to an error encountered during login. Before trying again, please clear your cache and cookies."

The Hotmail team is aware of this problem and is working on a solution. In the meantime, you can access Hotmail via its classic version.
firefoxfan2

Post by firefoxfan2 »

Could someone please post a message in this thread when Microsoft's Hotmail Team has implemented a solution. That would be great.
caf21

Post by caf21 »

espen Norway wrote:Do this for the Hotmail problem in Firefox 3: Download the Firefox add-on IE Tab install and open the option for this Add-on. Under Sites Filter in URL box type: http://*.mail.live.com/* then press add. This will fix the problem and Hotmail opens in extended version when using Firefox 3. Hotmail believes it is Internet Explorer that opens it.

Is anyone else having trouble using IE Tab as a Live Mail or Hotmail workaround? I have installed IE Tab and it uses IE to go to Live Mail. However, when I ask to use the Full Version, I get the loading page and it just never, ever finishes loading (it doesn't time-out, either). I disabled all my other FF add-ons and restarted FF, so it is only running with IE Tab and nothing else. Need help!
harveypot

Post by harveypot »

It surely can't take well-paid technicians at Hotmail all this time to produce some code & align itself with Firefox 3.0. How long has it been since the launch date now?!
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

harveypot wrote:It surely can't take well-paid technicians at Hotmail all this time to produce some code & align itself with Firefox 3.0. How long has it been since the launch date now?!

Obviously, you don't know Big Corporations. They are slow at everything. IT took Silverlight an entire major and minor version to fix compatibility.
sleeping_panther

Post by sleeping_panther »

espen Norway wrote:Do this for the Hotmail problem in Firefox 3: Download the Firefox add-on IE Tab install and open the option for this Add-on. Under Sites Filter in URL box type: http://*.mail.live.com/* then press add. This will fix the problem and Hotmail opens in extended version when using Firefox 3. Hotmail believes it is Internet Explorer that opens it.

this worked great, sadly the flash ads came back unblocked

/oh well
firefoxfan2

Post by firefoxfan2 »

The interesting thing is that when using Opera 9.50 I get the Windows Live version of Hotmail and it does not revert back to the classic view. However, in Firefox it still does revert back to classic.