Hotmail Reverted To Classic With Firefox 3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
steviex

Re: Hotmail Reverted To Classic With Firefox 3

Post by steviex »

No... IE tab actually runs IE. Unless you have IE on your system, it won't work.
(If you have IE using Wine/Crossover, IE Tab still won't work)

Hotmail (Full version) works almost perfectly with Firefox 3 in Linux now....
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092515 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.3
(Pane resize still does not work, but heigh ho)

Just ignore the stupid request to update your Browser.. That is caused by Microsoft Stupidity dodgy Browser sniffing...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
spoonerandrew

Post by spoonerandrew »

Nah, still doesn't work for me it tells me to upgrade which the only option is to use hotmail classic... no continue to full or anything!

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092510 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.3
steviex

Post by steviex »

I reckon it might not work for you, as you are on 64 bits..... Just a thought... The shiny full version may not work with 64 bit users (or they have blocked it for no apparent reason)

That's one reason why I download all my mail into Thunderbird... I hate these Webmail Interfaces... Horrid. Also I can't be bothered to log into at least seven different sites to check all my mail.....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Edwin1

Post by Edwin1 »

Microsoft still blocks all Linux users (by User-Agent) from accessing the full version of Hotmail. If you get the request to update the browser, no matter what, Microsoft will block you from accessing the full version. This is unacceptable, as the full version is needed for viewing mailheaders, and that's fairly essential. I'm currently contacting the Dutch Microsoft Customer Support because of this issue, and I can tell you that they seem pretty incompetent.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Good luck.... I did get a fairly good response when I contacted them last time, back on page 5......

dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try to change the user agent to one that Hotmail accepts. I use a Firefox 2.0.0.x one to avoid problems with branch or trunk builds on Windows.
User Agent Switcher: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/59
PrefBar: http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
Edwin1

Post by Edwin1 »

Yep, using User Agent Switcher to change the HTTP User-Agent to a Windows-client works. Full version of Hotmail then works in Firefox 3.0.3 without any problems. That's how I found out Microsoft just blocks Linux users by HTTP User-Agent. I'm proud to be a non-Windows OS user, so I don't want to have a Windows User-Agent string when I'm using Linux.

PS: For some reason the version of User Agent Switcher on the official mozilla site was crippled and wouldn't install on Firefox 3.0.3. Follow the link to the site maintained by Chris Pederick, there you can download a version that works.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You may only need to change the last part Firefox/3.0.3 to Firefox/2.0.0.17 to make it work.
You can test that by changing the pref general.useragent.extra.firefox on the about:config page.

Post by Guest »

[SOLVED]

Don't use Hotmail or anything Microsoft-related for your e-mail. It's for children, not for relevant communication.
Edwin1

Post by Edwin1 »

Guest wrote:[SOLVED]

Don't use Hotmail or anything Microsoft-related for your e-mail. It's for children, not for relevant communication.

No offense, but I think this reaction is stupid. Firstly, I hate Microsoft too, that's why I'm using Ubuntu and programming my own OS (including kernel). Secondly, I created a Hotmail account in the time there was no real alternative, and webmail was rather decent. There was no GMail or whatsoever. Now, when Microsoft introduced stupid overcomplicated webinterfaces some months back, that's when they blocked Linux users. Finally, it is very hard to change your e-mailaddress, everyone here in Holland uses MSN Messenger for IM, and sends mail to that address. Almost every website, and every person you know must know you have changed your address. Considering message boards, it isn't always possible to change your e-mailaddress.

Now, I have contacted Microsoft Support Center and they say it is not possible that they make Microsoft change this behaviour of Hotmail. ](*,) They sent my request to Windows Live Product Team. [-X
I will contact the EU if this issue can be made into an antitrust case against Microsoft.
SK.

Post by SK. »

Hi there. Your friendly neighborhood moderator here. Let's mind the rules and play nice, shall we? Insults and insulting language are not tolerated.

Please note that this advisory is not meant in any way to reflect on any individual's posts in this thread. It is just meant as a gentle reminder to all.

Thank you.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Edwin1 wrote:it is very hard to change your e-mailaddress
No, you just send everyone a message that your address has changed. I've had to do it twice, without any problem.

Edwin1 wrote:everyone here in Holland uses MSN Messenger for IM
If I'm not mistaken, that's not e-mail, that's Instant Messenger. Surely they know how to send e-mail to people who don't use IM.

Edwin1 wrote:Considering message boards, it isn't always possible to change your e-mailaddress.
It should be, although some message boards might lack this capability.

Edwin1 wrote:Now, when Microsoft introduced stupid overcomplicated webinterfaces some months back, that's when they blocked Linux users.
It is perfectly possible to use Hotmail on Linux. Or with ANY Web browser on Windows, Mac, or UNIX. I do it all the time for my disposable Hotmail accounts. Just stay away from all the fancy Microsoft-only features and use Coke Classic or whatever they call it.
Edwin1

Post by Edwin1 »

Sorry, I'm not here to start a discussion. We're getting off-topic. I also want to add I don't want to insult anyone. If I'm being interpreted like that, I apologize for my poor English, my native language is Dutch.

@VanillaMozilla:
It is possible to use Hotmail classic version on Linux, yes. But Microsoft blocks Linux users from accessing Hotmail Full version. Full version is needed for viewing mailheaders, as I pointed out earlier.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Yes, I forgot, I think you did point that out earlier.
steviex

Post by steviex »

I always download into Thunderbird...... Read this for how to do this with ease.... viewtopic.php?p=4062645#p4062645