Hotmail Reverted To Classic With Firefox 3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
harveypot

Re: Hotmail Reverted To Classic With Firefox 3

Post by harveypot »

Omega X wrote:
harveypot wrote:It surely can't take well-paid technicians at Hotmail all this time to produce some code & align itself with Firefox 3.0. How long has it been since the launch date now?!

Obviously, you don't know Big Corporations. They are slow at everything. IT took Silverlight an entire major and minor version to fix compatibility.

I'm no expert....when you say "an entire major and minor version"; what does that equate to in time span terms??
bart76

Post by bart76 »

IE stores your complete Internet history in hidden index.dat system files. Some people say that even the complete e-mail history (from OE) is stored too, but I am not sure about that. When cleaning IE, these hidden files are not emptied and can grow quite large, sometimes up to several tens to even hundreds of megabytes. Microsoft says that this is for caching purposes, but without the normal downloaded content after cleaning your system, there should be nothing to cache anymore...

It is quite hard to delete these system files when desired. (The only method that worked for me is to log in under a (second) Windows administrator account and then remove the files in the 'normal' user profiles.) But I find this is quite tedious. I am not sure about this too, but I can imagine that a straightforward search for these files in Windows does not give correct results. I use a third party file manager to search for these files.

So I already have my conclusions drawn regarding Microsoft's politics, and I refuse to use IE and OE (and as much other M$-software as possible).

I see that there are discussions about some kind of IE plugin for Firefox in this forum, and that is said to use IE directly instead of emulating it. (I don't know if the plugin works correctly, because I refuse to install this thing too.) But there's a nice test to check if it is true. And that is by refusing IE to access the Internet.

And how do you do that? Well, that's not so hard. Go to the Internet Settings (either in IE itself or in Start Menu->Settings->Control Panel->Internet Options) and open the Connections tab. Press the button LAN Settings and in the proxy server address, fill in "0.0.0.0" (without the quotes, of course).

After that, IE will try to access a non-existent proxy server (0.0.0.0) for connecting to the Internet, which will result in an error. If your plugin depends on IE, the plugin will not work anymore too. (You also should expect connection errors in Outlook Express, Windows Media Player, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visual Studio and other M$-software. But you either want to use IE or you don't...)

Good luck to you all and happy computing.

N.B.
I have tried Opera 9.51 for checking my Hotmail account. It accesses the full version of Hotmail and not the express version. However, it is not fully functional. For instance, it was not possible for me to move the splitter bars for resizing the panels/views.
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

I'm having the same problem since I switched to Forefox 3... ANYONE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to open an IE tab again, it's a pain in the ass!!! I'm scared of IE...
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

harveypot wrote:
Omega X wrote:
harveypot wrote:It surely can't take well-paid technicians at Hotmail all this time to produce some code & align itself with Firefox 3.0. How long has it been since the launch date now?!

Obviously, you don't know Big Corporations. They are slow at everything. IT took Silverlight an entire major and minor version to fix compatibility.

I'm no expert....when you say "an entire major and minor version"; what does that equate to in time span terms??

Many Months.

Post by Guest »

This is pretty appalling but not so unexpected by MS, eh? If all those people who have downloaded FF3 cant use it to access hotmail properly, how many are going to switch to IE? I bet a few of these will end up sticking with it.
harveypot

Post by harveypot »

I get the feeling there is 'politics' involved here.... other companies (e.g. Norton) were quick to release updated code after the launch.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

harveypot wrote:I get the feeling there is 'politics' involved here.... other companies (e.g. Norton) were quick to release updated code after the launch.

Er, they sort of had to, or several million of their customers would be wondering why their software was blocking Internet access. In fact, they have previously taken big hits and learned the hard way. It's called survival.

If Hotmail is messed up, well, that's probably just a Web site problem, and there is probably nothing Mozilla can do about it. You can use the Help menu to report it as a broken Web site if you want, but I expect it uses IE-only enhancements in an effort to entice you to use their unsafe Web browser. I have found other problems with the Web site as well, but I just work around them.
harveypot

Post by harveypot »

Don't get me wrong.....'politics' on the side of 'the Website', is what I meant originally.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Yes, I thought that's what you meant. I just wanted to rub it in a little for anyone who might be in doubt. ;)
tworks

Post by tworks »

Nour wrote:Hi every one

i tried to use IE tabs
and added http://*.mail.live.com/* to the Sites Filter
and it worded :)

i think Microsoft intended to do this, for a marketing reason :)

you rock... although I also added "general.useragent.vendor" to the IE tabs options, which worked at first but somehow was over-ridden today... combined though, it's smooth sailing. Naturally microsoft sucks and needs to fix the problem, but I'm placated for now.

thanks again!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

IETabs is IE. You might as well just use IE if that's what you want to do, because you certainly won't get any of the security of Firefox anyway.
harveypot

Post by harveypot »

I wonder if 3.0.1 will make any difference to this problem??.....
sam86

Post by sam86 »

errr... IT Tabs is not compatible with Mac!
Hotmail should really do something about it..
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

sam86, have you asked Microsoft as one of their service user?
OccamsToothbrush

Post by OccamsToothbrush »

Setting the useragent to the FF2 string (or other supported strings) doesn't fix the problem, so therefore it's not Microsoft browser sniffing to blame.

FireFox developers knew there was a problem in the beta software, but did nothing to fix it, and apparently did not work with the provider of a highly used website to resolve the problem before the go-live of FF3, and continues to not resolve the problem.

I wish either or both sides would fix this, but I also wish that people would stop blaming Microsoft for the problem, when their service didn't change but FireFox did.