Hotmail Reverted To Classic With Firefox 3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Yumeji

Re: Hotmail Reverted To Classic With Firefox 3

Post by Yumeji »

Me too. The only reason I used FF2 instead of Safari as my primary browser was in order to use the full version of hotmail, and not the 'classic' view.

Since downloading FF3 I can no longer use the 'pretty' version of hotmail, and now endure the 'classic' one.

Will this be sorted? Is the problem one for Mozilla or Microsoft to solve?

I guess I'll be ditching FF and sticking to Safari...
espen Norway

Post by espen Norway »

Do this for the Hotmail problem in Firefox 3: Download the Firefox add-on IE Tab install and open the option for this Add-on. Under Sites Filter in URL box type: http://*.mail.live.com/* then press add. This will fix the problem and Hotmail opens in extended version when using Firefox 3. Hotmail believes it is Internet Explorer that opens it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

espen Norway wrote:Hotmail believes it is Internet Explorer that opens it.

No, it IS Internet Explorer that opens it, and it has all the vulnerabilities of IE. I always suggest that if you're going to use IE, just use IE, so you really know what you're using. Don't contaminate Firefox with it.
legoman

Post by legoman »

I logged a call with Microsoft and they have advised me that Windows Live Hotmail (full version) is not compatible with Firefox 3. I have asked if they have any plans to make it compatible, and I am still waiting for an answer. Looks like people either have to use Ie7, FF2 or IT Tab.

I will keep everybody posted if I get anything else from Microsoft.
harveypot

Post by harveypot »

Thanks for that.
jjaammhh

Post by jjaammhh »

It's not a really technological problem. It's just that Hotmail checks your browser's name and version when you enter in. And it's programmed to switch to classic version if browser is different from IE 6 or 7 and from Firefox 1.5 or 2.0. It's just that, a simple couple of 'IFs'. When Microsoft want so, they will include the possibility of brosering full version of Hotmail with Firefox 3.0. Firefox 3.0 is fully techonologically compatible with Hotmai.
jmoors

Post by jmoors »

jjaammhh wrote:It's not a really technological problem. It's just that Hotmail checks your browser's name and version when you enter in. And it's programmed to switch to classic version if browser is different from IE 6 or 7 and from Firefox 1.5 or 2.0. It's just that, a simple couple of 'IFs'. When Microsoft want so, they will include the possibility of brosering full version of Hotmail with Firefox 3.0. Firefox 3.0 is fully techonologically compatible with Hotmai.

Thanks that is good to know .... is there anyway that we can make the changes in IE or is that something that was hard coded?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It i not working either In Firefox 3 after changing the user agent to Firefox 2, so there are problems with the used JavaScript that are not compatible with Firefox 3.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

In other words, it's a Hotmail problem, and Microsoft misinformed you.
cpthk

Post by cpthk »

I think basically hotmail detect your browser whether it supports some functions like java... so hotmail didn't update their code to recognize firefox 3, that's why
legoman

Post by legoman »

I got another reply from Microsoft. I quote:

"..our product team is already working on a resolution for this issue but we cannot provide you with an exact timeframe on when your browser will be supported. I assure you however that this is being dealt with utmost priority and that the product group is working diligently to have this problem fixed as soon as possible."
harveypot

Post by harveypot »

Thanks for all the information....one would have thought however, that Hotmail would have been completely aware of Firefox 3.0's launch & might have taken advanced steps to align itself accordingly. Bizarre situation.
legoman

Post by legoman »

you would have thought... considering hotmail didn't work with the beta either (I'm told). The only work around is IE Tabs add-in, and that kind of defeats the purpose to a degree.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

legoman wrote:The only work around is IE Tabs add-in

IE Tabs is not a workaround. You're still using IE, not Firefox. It's just embedded in a Firefox tab. You don't get the security of Firefox.
firefoxfan2

Post by firefoxfan2 »

Opera 9.50 can handle Windows Live Hotmail.