This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hrdubwd

Re: This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

Post by hrdubwd »

Now, I do recall that something I did a while ago installed IE7 for me - without announcement or option - and I promptly uninstalled it because everything was then broken; however, it was not a beta. But, if that installation left what are now inaccessible registry values, it could account for the problem.

I note this remark:
"This was more for average users who run into trouble on os's that set that exe download restriction flag by default."
from https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425946#c16
All we have to do is find that flag, which I assume is in the registry.

I also note this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425946#c21

Thoughts, people?

Post by Guest »

Hello !

I don't know if that really works...

I had that same problem : Vista Home Basic, IE7 Installed (but never used), FF3 last ver., 1.7 ghz, 2048 mb ram, can download most files but not .exe with either browser.
The same message as everybody has got.

And by reading this, I went around and found the solution *that fixed my problem*:

Go in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Security. (now, this window is the configuration of IE7, which is integrated (built-in) in Vista. To have it in XP, you will probably have to go in IE7 config.)
For the 'Internet' settings, go in custom... and set everything to 'enable' except : ActiveX and other settings that are said (in the window) to be 'not-secure' --> set those to 'prompt'.
For all the other zones, chose the lowest possible level (so that means that you rely entirely on FF and antiviruses and other security software to protect your computer, and that is enough for me). Then apply your changes, and exit the window. It is not necessary to reboot, and you can even leave FF running while you're doing this. (that's what I did, and it worked OK)

Now, conduct a little test by simply downloading (or begin to) a .exe file, e.g. FF... http://mozilla.osmirror.nl/firefox/rele ... %203.0.exe

Good luck

P.S. : If some of you do not have ie7, and, obviously, cannot download it, I have a box.net account, and I have uploaded 3 files in the folder accessible by the URL below. These three files are of the .ttt extension so you can download them, then just change the extensions back to .rar (with cmd, in the folder where the files are : ren *.ttt *.rar). You will need a program that handles split RAR archives.

http://www.box.net/shared/nejj3dag4c

Oops ! for those who do not have a program that handles split RAR archives, I will put one in my folder, with the .ttt extension too... Cheers
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest wrote:can download most files but not .exe with either browser.

Thanks for posting your solution, but I note that security software could also do that. Remember, if your browsing is restricted, security software is also a prime suspect -- always.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

viewtopic.php?p=3694925#p3694925
trolly wrote:You do not need a working IE to use FF. The problem seems to be that several settings (whaich may be modified by some tools) are exposed to the user only after installing IE7 (or a matching update). For myself i can download with FF3 without problems and i do not have IE7 installed.

Follow the links in the Knowledge Base article. There is a lot of information on this. Too much for me to manage right now, but maybe one of you can handle it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

To all:
Look at bug 430964 and see if that describes your problem exactly. I would prefer that you report here, rather than commenting in the bug report. Exception: if you have important NEW information and can describe it accurately and CONCISELY, consider adding a comment, but do NOT overwhelm the bug report with "me too" comments! Don't worry that the bug is marked as a duplicate--I'll get that fixed. I just want to know if the bug report is accurate and complete.

A couple of unresolved questions are
!. If you can't download any file, or just .exe files.
2. If you can download but can't run the file from Firefox, that's a different, and much less serious problem.
aaaa...

Post by aaaa... »

You may experience this problem if the Windows option for Launching applications and unsafe files is disabled. To fix this:

1. From the Windows menu, open Control Panel.
2. Switch to Classic View and double-click Internet Options.
3. Select the Security tab.
4. Click the Custom level... button to change the settings for the Internet zone.
5. Scroll down to the option, Launching applications and unsafe files (under "Miscellaneous").
6. Select Prompt (Recommended).
7. Click the OK button.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Time for another little summary. I would encourage everyone to look again very carefully at the Knowledge Base article on this subject. I believe that summarizes what is known about the problem. It has also had a little recent editing that may help a little.

If you have clear evidence that the procedures in there do not solve your problem, then I encourage anyone to file a bug report. But do so only if you can be very clear, very accurate, and preferably concise, and only if you are certain that you have followed the instructions carefully. And please don't comment in bug reports unless you have important and relevant NEW information.

Note that having to install IE7 to get Fx working is a Windows bug. Maybe bug 425946 will mitigate the problem.

Also look at what Kai Liu has written about it: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425946#c10 .
Alice

Post by Alice »

Alice Wyman
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Interesting that they discovered the problem, but don't take the discussion too seriously. There's some correct information, but also a lot of misinformation in that thread.
hrdubwd

Post by hrdubwd »

Testing: config: browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone -> false has no effect on this problem.
I can download .pdf, .zip, .dll.zip, but no .exe (unless from a trusted site). (Finding other file types to download directly is difficult - anyone have a test set of innocuous files?)
Again, in IE6 the 'Launching' option does not exist. Downloads | File download is enabled.
An .exe download (that is, from a trusted site) can be run from the download list in FF3; likewise in IE6.
The restriction on .exe download exists in IE6 as well (no problem with .zip or .pdf).
I cannot test the long filename, URL issue, but the filenames I am attempting are not particularly long (10 characters).
Sorry, nothing in the referenced documents helps.
The ADS / Zone identifier item has no effect.

It seems that adding a site to the trusted zone is the key for that one machine, but it does not account for the other working without any such problems (unless it is the IE7 relic mentioned earlier). We still need to know what setting where is responsible - the absence of any information on this is strange.
Last edited by hrdubwd on July 14th, 2008, 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
taekwondogirl

Post by taekwondogirl »

I use Windows XP Media Center Edition and have IE7 installed. The only option on both IE7 and the internet options toolbar through the control panel is "Launching applications and unsafe files in IFRAME". I have followed all of the instructions fully short of reinstalling IE7, and nothing has worked. Also, if I try to reset security zones to low it tells me that the recommended setting for it is at least medium and moves it back up, so I cannot try that at all. How is it recommended if it's making me do it?

To think that I finally updated today to FF3.0 because my previous version didn't actually save when I right clicked and selected "Save link as". It'd pop up the window asking me where to save to and wouldn't do anything when I hit okay. At least if there was a download button on sites that would work, it's a step up from this stupid issue. I'm reverting to the old Firefox and will just try to deal with that problem and wait if a consistant solution for this problem is found.
hrdubwd

Post by hrdubwd »

Taekwondogirl: does adding the source to the Trusted Zone not work?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

taekwondogirl wrote:To think that I finally updated today to FF3.0 because my previous version didn't actually save when I right clicked and selected "Save link as". It'd pop up the window asking me where to save to and wouldn't do anything when I hit okay. At least if there was a download button on sites that would work, it's a step up from this stupid issue. I'm reverting to the old Firefox and will just try to deal with that problem and wait if a consistant solution for this problem is found.

Your problem with the previous version is a different problem. You should try what hrdubwd suggested, at least as a diagnostic, even though it's not a long-term solution.
Qmarx

Post by Qmarx »

Why do the Firefox developers insist upon turning it into Internet Explorer?

How do I turn off this permission checking nonsense? Is there any way to configure the browsers seperately? It may boggle the mind, but some people *want* higher security settings on IE than Firefox.

Bah, I'm switching to the lightweight version of the client. Time to download Mozilla.
Qmarx

Post by Qmarx »

Anddddd.... that last word should have been Phoenix.