This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
steviex

Re: This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

Post by steviex »

If you can not run IE, then I suggest you go and find a competent technician to repair your system, before you blame Firefox.
It is likely that your Operating System is damaged in some way.... Yes IE IS PART of your Operating System.....
You NEED IE to run to handle systemwide preferences.....

Have you done a FULL Virus and Malware Scan ??
I would think Fixing IE, and your OS would be a high priority here before blaming Firefox for this...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
minor salvation

Post by minor salvation »

hrdubwd wrote:I have run into the same problem: FF3 prevents all downloads according to "security zone policy". However, I have IE6 and the option mentioned above does not appear. In fact setting security to low has no effect! So now I am completely stuffed - cannot do anything.

This change was positively retrograde. To offer no explanation is unhelpful, to have no way out is bizarre.

Now what?

BWD
for everyone who has ignored IE and has not updated to 7, get Bittorrent and the latest version of Java and go to Mininova.com. You can still download the torrent files and can download files through the Bittorrent network. This is helpful because there are a couple versions of FF2 available for download. I cleaned FF completely off of my system and then retro fit back to version 2.x.x.x. I'm running it right now (the update which fix that nasty, nasty security hole) and am able to commence with standard downloading.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Um... Use the MOZILLA SITE for previous versions of Firefox.... http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
And this will give you the LATEST version of Firefox 2 ... 2.0.0.16

Use IE to Download it, if you can not use Firefox for this purpose....

IF YOU DOWNLOAD FROM ANYWHERE ELSE, IT MAY BE CONTAMINATED WITH VIRUSES OR SPURIOUS TOOLBARS.....

A bug has been filed for this problem.... https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=445158

This is all we can do, as we are NOT the Developers.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
3cd2fwun

Post by 3cd2fwun »

Im going back to firefox 2, firefox 3 is **** and ill wait till they fix this.

A patch might bring me back to 3 but im tired of bending overbackwards for the sake of a new version.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on August 24th, 2008, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language.
jah23

Post by jah23 »

Its probably you changed some settings in IE on xp it effects ff too just go start/control panel/security center/internet options/in the security level change to medium high. Thats my solution to ff3 on xp sp3 k thx
VistaStupid

Post by VistaStupid »

malliz. thank you so much. for the link.
it helped a lot.
Zustiur

Post by Zustiur »

I have a more complex version of the same issue.
Most of the reports above state that they cannot save .exe files. Well I cannot save ANY files. Not jpgs, not exes, not even htm!
Example: I get the error "This download has been blocked by your security zone policy" when trying to save logo.gif from google.com

I know why my issue is more complicated, but I find it amusing in a way. Here is my situation:

I used nlite to cut down my install of XP Pro SP1. Specifically, I removed Internet Explorer, because I never use it. This means that when I goto control panel -> Internet Options -> Security. THERE ARE NO ZONES. (Incidentally I installed SP 3 after installing xp)

SO Firefox 3 has integrated itself with settings that are in fact NOT part of the operating system. I have tried the registry edit mentioned above, and it seems I am now able to download .exe files (currently d/ling Firefox2). However I still cannot download or save jpgs.

I intend to try uninstalling Fx3, then installing Fx2 and testing. It may be that I need to have IE installed afterall, but that would be a great disappointment, as I am using very low spec hardware, and was trying to save on space.
Zustiur

Post by Zustiur »

Zustiur wrote:I intend to try uninstalling Fx3, then installing Fx2 and testing.

Test complete. I can now save jpgs quite happily. Hooray for Firefox 2.
guest_zomg

Post by guest_zomg »

I've read the first few pages (of which some replies are mostly ignorant drivel) and all I can say is Mozilla has lost track of what makes Firefox great. Anything I download through IE (out of MS forced necessity) is only through explicit and limited white-listing as I've had quite a few things happen without so much as a prompt from it asking for my consent, which is the whole reason I switched to Firefox to begin with (before it even had that absolutely stupid sounding name). Any IT tech who doesn't completely lock down IE (except for perhaps Windows Update) is incompetent and has laughable technical/security skills at best. Go ahead and change your browser to make use of Windows/IE's security settings to cater to those who got their security certificates out of a Cracker Jack box. The "Spread Firefox" hype, as much as I supported it when it was fresh (and even before then, for that matter), has officially burned out and the Fox needs to be put down. It was a good run while it lasted but this will be my last post from this browser as you have lost your focus as I perceived it.

The fat lady singing is just the beginning of your woes, there will be no rising from the ashes this time unless you get back on track as to what made this browser once great-- complete isolation from Windows/IE. Does Firefox give a damn about IE7 in a Linux or Mac environment? I didn't think so. Why should I have to give IE permissions in order for me to use Firefox?

No, I didn't try the "fix" that 9 out of 10 posters struggled with. I just launched Opera which I (fortunately) already had installed and downloaded my EXE with no hassle. If I wanted to "fix" everything I would use IE and it's automatic, hands-free installation of CWS (that's not a bug or feature, it's malicious). For the love of God I wish they would make IE (and Windows Media Player, for that matter, just on principle) removable.

The "fix" is equivalent of having the best firewall in the world, then opening every port and allowing everything unrestricted net access, remove that garbage from Firefox or forever be an incompetent laughing stock in the shadow of something that was once great. What's next? Securom on the Firefox CD's? Selling Firefox to Microsoft? Bundling it with CWS? Might as well be doing that now if I have to uncastrate IE. The possibilities are endless. Incompetence.

Post by Guest »

Nice user name. I think it reflects your intelligence perfectly.
formerlyfaithful

Post by formerlyfaithful »

Wow, this was actually one of the most frustrating problems I've had on my laptop. It's a shame because I started using FF in 2004 when I began college and when it was pretty new. Now that my college career is ending, I'm going to have to abandon it because of this. I will never go back to IE so....

GOOGLE CHROME TIME!!!!!!

[edited for language - smsmith/moderator]
steviex

Post by steviex »

OK... as this thread has descended into name calling, and is not actually providing any support, but is just a platform to whinge about the decisions the Developers (who are not us, incidentally) have made, I am locking this.

If anyone requires support on this, and is willing to use the advice we give, please start a new thread.
Otherwise, go here, http://feedback.mozilla.org/ and complain to Mozilla about it..

This thread is closed.