This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Alice

Re: This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

Post by Alice »

cupidsqueen420,
Not sure what you meant by "It doesn't even bring up the downloads page at all" but try the suggestions in the
MozillaZine KB article, Unable to save or download files. For the Downloads window error, "the download has been blocked by your security zone policy", try the suggestions above and under Reset system Internet security settings - Windows. If those don't work for you, other options are:
A} add the blocked download site to "Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security -> Trusted Sites -> Sites" or,
B) downlevel back to Firefox 2, which is still available for download from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all-older.html.
Alice Wyman
cupidsqueen420

Post by cupidsqueen420 »

What I meant by the "download page" is the actual box that pops up when you download something from firefox. (sorry about the wording) . I will look at your suggestions but just also wanted to say,i did add the site to my trusted sites. Thanks!
Cupidsqueen420

Post by Cupidsqueen420 »

I took a look at all of the suggestions in that artical and none of them worked. I tried all of them. I don't understand why it downloads some content and not others. This particular download is an excel document. From the same site I am able to download pdf's and other things just not this excel sheet. But I am able to do it in FF2

Post by Guest »

Starting in Firefox 3, downloads of executable files (e.g., .exe or .msi) may fail and the Firefox Downloads window will contain this message, under the filename:

* This download has been blocked by your Security Zone Policy (image).

This issue occurs because Firefox 3 now honors your Windows security settings for downloading applications and other potentially unsafe files from the Internet.

Which is understandable. However, zips are fine; xpis and jars are fine; jpgs/gifs/bmps are fine; pdfs, docs fine... yet mp3s, mp4s etc... blocked just like exes. How exactly are video and audio files potentially unsafe? Also how is it that zips, xpis, jars, docs... which Are potentially unsafe... Not blocked??

"Launching applications and unsafe files" setting (under Miscellaneous) and select "Prompt (recommended)"

Always has been, and still is... but then I went through and redid all my settings. Following the "helpful" suggestions from those here, amount to little... as none work. The issue isn't about users and settings... it IS about firefox having been "updated" with a number of things, the download blocking included, which users are now no longer able to control. A default action of blocking unsafe content is not a problem, per se, it becomes one, however, when the ability to decide on a case by case basis is taken away. Firefox has always been prided for its flexibility to its users, that seems to have changed with version 3. It's ridiculous that we should have to go and alter system wide security settings, or continually add entire sites to our trusted zone, or reinstall exploder etc etc etc, all for being able to do a simple thing like downloading a file. Firefox is supposed to, and used to be moreso, our tool to use... it seems that now we are expected to be used by it.
We shouldn't be forced to jump through hoops over solving a problem inherent in the browser.
JOKER with BATMAN

Post by JOKER with BATMAN »

Just wasted my precious 6 hours on this stupid problem. Now I know the solution.
If you want to have the privilege of using firefox3, you HAVE to install IE7 and go to Internet options in IE7, Scroll down to the option, Launching applications and unsafe files (under "Miscellaneous"). and Select Prompt (Recommended). and Click the OK button.
ONLY then you can download any exe etc... fileS. :evil:

Again If you want to have the privilege of using firefox3, you HAVE to install IE7.
you DO NOT have that option in IE6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,)

Looks like Mozilla has worked out a deal with Holy Microsoft (They already millions of USD every year form Google)

FF is an excellent browser but guess what, Firefox 3 cannot force me to use Microsoft craplets. :evil:
I am uninstalling Both FF3 and IE7 and going to use OPERA (Which BTW FF3 refused to download without installing IE7). great job Mozilla Team. =D> You need to realize that you are not the ONLY alternative to IE. :lol:
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Joker, Mozilla doesn't care what browser you are using. The goal of the Foundation is that you have the choice for your browser: so they are quite happy that you are exercising it. But a quick advice, next time you will be saying that you have installed Firefox and that you will be using another browser, do not use the uninstalled browser to say it.. :D

Finally we are not Mozilla, so telling us that is pointless... Maybe you should say it to an official site of them?
JOKER with BATMAN

teoli2003 wrote:Joker, Mozilla doesn't care what browser you are using. The goal of the Foundation is that you have the choice for your browser: so they are quite happy that you are exercising it. But a quick advice, next time you will be saying that you have installed Firefox and that you will be using another browser, do not use the uninstalled browser to say it.. :D

Finally we are not Mozilla, so telling us that is pointless... Maybe you should say it to an official site of them?

i had two reasons for posting this message
1) I believe that from now on at least some people will save some time by not installing FF3 with out installing IE7 and then stop wasting every body's time,in this board

2) I nearly pulled my hair trying to fix this without having to download IE7 :furious: . I don't want Gate's crap screwing my computer. If to use firefox I have to INSTALL IE7 and also have to ALLOW IE7 (i.e. modify its internet settings) so that it can download more MS craplets, then what is the purpose of using ff3. I cannot understand mozilla's policy. To use their product, I have to install their archenemy's product, which can compromise my computer. ](*,)

i know you are not mozilla, but i just wanted to tell the solution of this bug to every body.
from now onwards i will not put my frustrations here. :mrgreen:

Dear teoli2003, I said that I am GOING to uninstall it . I am still working on it.
already have opera. but i need to get my last Sane version of FF V2 and install it. Then I will dump both FF3 and IE7 8-)
steviex

Post by steviex »

Can I just point out that you are using Microsoft Windows XP. You are already using Microsoft's Product.
Your Operating System is Microsoft.
Microsoft IE 7 is now a part of Microsoft Windows XP. Microsoft Recommends you have IE 7 on Board, as IE 6 is NOT secure.
Therefore to remain totally secure with Microsoft Windows XP, you NEED Microsoft IE 7.
Microsoft IE 7 Settings ARE Microsoft Windows XP Settings.

If you want Bill Gates out of your life totally. Remove Windows from your Computer, and install Linux.
From Linux, you can Install Firefox and Opera.

For Firefox 2.0.0.16 (Which is the most secure version of Firefox 2) Go HERE.... http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

If you want an earlier version, ask, but remember that these are UNSECURE, and have serious security problems, and major vulnerabilities.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
JOKER with BATMAN

Thanks steviex for the info. That will help me.
But I still feel Mozilla should not be forcing anybody to use IE 7. That is not their job. That is Microsoft's job
James

Post by James »

Win2000 users cannot use IE7 and have no problems with Firefox 3.0
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

JOKER with BATMAN wrote:But I still feel Mozilla should not be forcing anybody to use IE 7. That is not their job. That is Microsoft's job

For some users the dialog box has disappeared from Windows unless you have IE7. That sounds to me like a Windows bug. There. Does that help you?
nunzconz

Post by nunzconz »

The good news is FF3 runs like a dream under linux :D
It has increased my browsing speeds on media heavy stes substantially.

Other than xp settings with ie problems - good job.
Eli TLV IL

Post by Eli TLV IL »

Hey Guys,
I've got another problem.
As it seems, I have no problem what-so-ever downloading EXE files, but as soon as I try to download .js file,
I get the notorious Zone Policies message.

A good example it trying to build a custom EXT JS build and hitting the "Build It!" button,
here: http://extjs.com/products/extjs/build/i ... lib=jQuery

I've tried a lot of stuff, wasted around three hours on this,
Read all the KB articles about this, and never found a clue on how to fix this problem,
oddly enough, I found that using the same page with IE7 yielded the desired result,
and allowed me to download the requested file.

I must admit, adding this option may seem like a good idea,
but a lot of users are frustrated,
and even if a single, not a savy user has to see this error, that's just wrong for Fx3,
it seems completely wrong that I have to waste my time to (try to) fix a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place,
and I have no problem with legit bugs, I'm a developer myself...

Please allow us to decide how to run our browser.

Thanks,
Eli
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Eli TLV IL,
That's nice, but please spare us all the lectures. We are volunteers, and are in no position to change what you are complaining about. If you want help, all the excess verbage just gets in the way of somebody helping you. You don't want to be abused. Then don't abuse us. You're chewing on the wrong people. Bye now.

Post by Guest »

Wow, this is causing so many people problems. What was wrong with the way firefox 2 did it's security settings? No one complained.