This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: This download has been blocked by your security zone policy

Post by Guest »

This is the stupidest thing the mozilla team has ever done. People lock down IE for a reason.
ranaya

Post by ranaya »

hrdubwd wrote:I have run into the same problem: FF3 prevents all downloads according to "security zone policy". However, I have IE6 and the option mentioned above does not appear. In fact setting security to low has no effect! So now I am completely stuffed - cannot do anything.

This change was positively retrograde. To offer no explanation is unhelpful, to have no way out is bizarre.

Now what?

BWD
I had the same issue with my 2003 server, I'm using Firefox V3 and IE7, I follow Malliz instructions and it works fine now :).
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Issues_with_F ... ving_files
trolly

Post by trolly »

You probably meant: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Iss ... ving_files

The copy/paste have broken the link.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Another Guest

Post by Another Guest »

Guest wrote:This is the stupidest thing the mozilla team has ever done. People lock down IE for a reason.

I wholeheartedly agree. It is time to reverse that decision and remove this awkward "feature".
Is there a petition somewhere or a bug report for which people who are annoyed by this behaviour could
vote ?
Another Guest

Post by Another Guest »

Update to my above post:

I found a bug dealing with this:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=445158

Go there and voice your opinion, in other words: give 'em hell ;)

We need to make ourselves heard by the developers!
trolly

Post by trolly »

Do not comment on bugs, just vote!
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Do follow correct Bugzilla Etiquette, otherwise the developers will just get annoyed with you, and ignore you completely...
Be POLITE, and DO NOT insult, or demean people.

ONLY Comment if you have something constructive to add, or even a patch.... As trolly said... DO NOT Spam the bug with Me Too Comments.

Please note these Bug Filing instructions here.... http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/bugs
and Bugzilla ettiquette..... https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

Two votes so far....

The Mozilla feedback address is this... http://feedback.mozilla.org/
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Bug 445158 was specifically created "For further discussion".
Adding constructive comments is fine. "Give 'em hell" is not!

Bug 445158 – Consider providing a pref that allows users to set "Launching Applications and Unsafe Files" Internet option
Jim Mathies 2008-07-14 09:10:50 PDT

For further discussion. See bug 425946 for initial information. This internet
option has caused some problems for users who have, one way or another, set the
"Launching Applications and Unsafe Files" Internet Options pref to disable.
This setting prevents users of Fx3 from downloading files. The error message
displayed in the download window is "This download has been blocked by your
Security Zone Policy".

Some users would like to see a pref integrated into Firefox that allows them to
disable this system wide security pref. Currently we are leaning against this,
as this pref affects other applications (IE7 and reportedly Safari) and is
managed through the control panel / remote admin.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2092

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/11/27/managing-the-launching-applications-and-unsafe-files-setting.aspx

Shawn Wilsher (sdwilsh) 2008-07-14 09:42:57 PDT

Note - I'm OK with having this bug used for discussion still (which is why I
didn't outright mark it as a duplicate)
Alice Wyman
Mr. Fixer-upper

Post by Mr. Fixer-upper »

To fix this problem, open up Internet explorer. To to "tools" then click on "internet options."
When the window opens up click on the "security" tab then scroll to the bottom where it says "Security Level for this Zone"
Put it all the down to "medium" and press "apply." Exit out then try to download again, this shouldve fixed the problem.
steviex

Post by steviex »

^^ Thanks for the clarification, Alice :)

^ The whole reason of this discussion is, that users may not want to open IE to affect Firefox.... They want Firefox to disobey the System Preferences that they have set via the Control Panel, which is integrated into IE

These users feel that Firefox should NOT obey the rules that they lay down for their system, because they have it locked down due to the insecurity they feel is in IE. They are objecting to the fact that Firefox is respecting the System settings that they have set up in their System control panel, which is also part of Internet Explorer.

They do not like the fact that IE and Firefox should share the restrictive settings they have made.....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

steviex wrote:They do not like the fact that IE and Firefox should share the restrictive settings they have made.....

This is the perfect summary of the situation.

The answer to their problems could be the answer to the question: "How to restrict more IE than Fx? Does this need necessarily a third-party software firewall? If not, how?"

For the moment, I believe that a software firewall is necessary, but maybe I'm wrong.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Maybe IE 8 will not need to be locked down with such brutality, curtailing its operation in the manner that they do with IE 7.
It baffles me as to why a large amount of functionality of software would need to be disabled to allow the user to be secure.
Half of the problem is the blurring between system and IE settings.... You can't set IE, without influencing the whole system....

HTGNRKLF

Post by HTGNRKLF »

the amount of trouble this is causing is absurd... I can't believe the "upgrade" regressed the functionality of the updated software to such a degree. I'm sure there is someone who is losing money and time due to this. Glad it's not me... yet

Post by Guest »

For those of you who know what Bittorrent is and use it, there is a retrograde download at Mininova.com Downloading via the bittorrent system is functional in FF3.

Post by Guest »

I also am unable to download anything. I can't run IE at all (it gives a weird error that I haven't been able to figure out yet) and can't run control panel internet options. Back to Opera for me, downloaded with FF2.